Disney Movie Rewards

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney Movie Rewards

Post by Daniel » August 25th, 2019, 11:16 am

"New Ways To Earn & Redeem Points"

Going to take a stab and guess something with digital? ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 7th, 2019, 12:37 am

Ahead of the transition from Disney Movie Rewards to Disney Movie Insiders, they're having a "Moving Sale" with some (but not all) the rewards at nearly 70% off until Monday. Whatever points you've accumulated will still carry over into Insiders, but this sale is a pretty good opportunity to blow a chunk of it on stuff.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 7th, 2019, 3:57 am

Disney Movie Insiders, or variants of, has actually been used before, as the brand name for the first catalogs included in the early combo pack releases, back when we used to get inserts and nice thick multi-page booklets advertising available titles and upcoming films and discs, *and* as the name (also known as Movie Surfers) for the short-lived series of commercial promos that ran on discs and TV, where Disney Channel kids would go on the set of whatever next new film was about to be released.

Of course, it’s no coincidence that this change occurs right around when D+ launches, so I have no doubt that this is all tied into Disney becoming one huge digital behemoth, where everything basically happens with one login and "it’s all connected", to use another of the company's sayings.

My only worry is that, after years of being able to access DMR from the UK, that they finally shut that off. Most if not all other Disney links send UK users to the crap UK Disney site that is little more than an online Disney Store, but I hope Insiders continues to be world-friendly.

With D+ not launching here yet, I’d bet that "more ways to earn points" means catching stuff on D+, so they might start geolocking things more, even though the world is moving to a "day and date" pattern where it would be better for all to be the same.

I guess I could use a VPN, but not 100% sure what’s reliable or how to use. I did just splurge some points on a few things (I never did get the first three Pirates on Blu-ray, and they have two and three there for next to nothing, plus a couple of posters), but I don’t want to lose the rest of my four thousand or so points!

All interesting, and the beginnings of The Mouse's real onslaught into next taking over the internet, and then...the world...? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 7th, 2019, 12:48 pm

I decided to grab a couple of DisneyNature titles on the points sale, plus... G-Force. I never thought I'd want G-Force, but Ben told me he liked it, so I'll try it out (for free).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 7th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Blame CGI guinea pigs! ;)

Yeah, it's fun. Enough to own? Eh...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 7th, 2019, 7:34 pm

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 8th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Well, that convinced me to get it. :lol:

I also picked up the first season of the Lego Star Wars: Freemaker Adventure blu, Tinker Bell, and the DisneyNature discs that were available. Knocked me down quite a chunk, but I've got plenty of points left over and will technically get some of them back through the blu rays getting picked up (even if it's a fraction of what was spent).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 8th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Well, that's some consolation. ;)

Took a look around at the sale. There's literally nothing catching my eye. Either I already own the movie or I have no desire to. Couple of nice posters to be sure, but none really grab me. Plus, don't really have the space to hang them!

Yeah, I haven't been passionate about the program in years. It's mainly just movies or anything you can find in stores. I miss the exclusives, the one of a kind trinkets. "Free" DVDs and Blu's are all well and good, I would rather spend my hard earned points on something that not everyone can get. That's what pushed me into signing up! Those free coins were sweet, as was the stuff I got afterwards.

Hope with the name change they go back to their roots and start offering worthwhile rewards again. Maybe offer stuff from the parks? Or Disney Store even? Or a pipe dream, merch from The Pixar Studio Store! So many cute goodies I wish I could get. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 8th, 2019, 8:24 pm

Daniel wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 4:15 pm
I miss the exclusives, the one of a kind trinkets. "Free" DVDs and Blu's are all well and good, I would rather spend my hard earned points on something that not everyone can get. That's what pushed me into signing up! Those free coins were sweet, as was the stuff I got afterwards.
I miss the exclusives too (even got a couple of leftover Disney Treasures steelbooks they were surplus'ing off), but with Disney trying to Warner-Archive all their Blu/DVD's off to the DMC, being able to get a leftover Blu3D copy of "Monsters University" IS something you can't get anywhere else. :x

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 8th, 2019, 11:43 pm

I had previously nabbed a couple of those 3D Blu-ray packs from DMR, but getting them now on a points sale would be sweet. I'd like to see more DMC exclusives show up at DMR. From DMR, I usually get either Blu-rays that I didn't quite want enough to actually buy, or toys/figures--- that's how I got Baymax and pull-apart Frankenweenie plushes, an Elsa figure, and Toy Story bobbleheads. They decorate my movie space nicely.

Between me and Dan, it looks like we're spearheading a G-Force resurgence. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 9th, 2019, 4:49 am

It’s a fun movie! I might have to rewatch myself! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 27th, 2019, 2:58 pm

New version of the site should be up soon. I've already learned one of bit of bad news. There will be NO exclusive ornament. :( Very disheartening. Odds are it would've been for Frozen, which is what I was banking on since I missed out the first time around. That's one change for the worse...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » October 2nd, 2019, 10:59 pm

So after nearly a week, Disney Movie Insiders is now up and running.

It's pretty bare at the moment, both in content and in what the rewards currently are. Regarding the latter, they only really have e-Gift Cards. The top rewards right now are private studio tours, but that's about it.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 2nd, 2019, 11:12 pm

Wow. What a letdown! They should've had more "stuff" available for the launch.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 3rd, 2019, 5:21 am

I can’t even sign in. My fears have been realised and they have finally geolocked the site. :(