Archie Comics

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Archie Comics

Post by gaastra » May 28th, 2009, 2:35 pm

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30983247/?GT1=43001

Looks like archie will grow up, get a job, and marry--veronica!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 28th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Dun dun dun!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 28th, 2009, 2:56 pm

Archie should've thrown 'em all for a loop, and proposed to Josie.

/or Sabrina

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 28th, 2009, 3:36 pm

No, no, no--Veronica was the antagonist:
She was intended to be the snotty materialistic high-maintenance girl who set out to ruin everything every time she went overboard on what she wanted, reminded Archie how much safer he was off with middle-class girl-next-door Betty, and who would've probably ended up with an equally scheming Reggie since the two jerks deserved each other.
...C'mon, we believed that he was seriously going to go steady with someone who called him "Archie-kins"?

(And that's still going on 70's-Filmation memories, not those cheesy 90's DiC syndies.)

Or wait, is this going to be some DC-Superman thing, where they always have to alert ABC News every time they have a summer event, and everybody who doesn't read comics thinks it's supposed to be permanent?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Viscountesstiara » May 30th, 2009, 3:21 pm

I'm a long time Archie fan and I just heard about this yesterday. I ordered the series as I can't wait to see what it is about. Archie should marry, Betty. However, he doesnt deserve her the way he treats her and makes her second fiddle to Veronica. If they do really get married, which I doubt, I'll treat it like any ending I dislike, ignore it! I believe it will be a dream or something will happen. Archie can't really decide can he? Veronica and Reggie are better suited for one another, as they are both low and coniving.
Patiently waiting for "The Princess and the Frog."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 30th, 2009, 10:40 pm

It's all set in the future, anyway. Don't take it too seriously, just enjoy it as a fan! :)

Say, does anyone remember the Archie TV (live action) movie <i>To Riverdale and Back Again</i>? It looked at Archie and his gals at their high school reunion. It was weird, but oddly great. And it left Archie in the same quandry that he'd been in all through high school!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tyler_Legrand » May 31st, 2009, 1:03 am

I just soiled myself.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 31st, 2009, 5:19 am

Superman stayed dead...

Batman never recovered from a broken back...

Bucky's still dead...

Comic continuity never reverts to status quo...

I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn!

Anyhow, it's Archie Comics and I have to admit I never really read those...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Archie Comics

Post by droosan » September 25th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Looks like Sabrina the Teen-Age Witch is going to be 're-imagined' yet again ..

I'm certain that this is only a 'promo' image, to go with the press release .. but, yikes. Yet another 'new look' for Sabrina. :|

------------------

The original run of Sabrina comic books from the 1970s -- and the contemporary animated series from Filmation -- were among my favorites, as a kid.

Archie Comics luminary Dan DeCarlo's original design of Sabrina basically resembled Josie with freckles and a platinum bob .. but I still find it so much more appealing than the variant designs that she has been forced into during the past 20 years:

------------------

I was pleased to discover that the recently-published hardcover collection of The Best of Archie's Madhouse by Yoe! Studio contains a reprint of the first-ever appearance of Sabrina ..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 25th, 2011, 8:27 pm

And here I was hoping to resist temptation on the Mad House book... and you've just given a great reason to get it! (Paging through it at the store, I recognized stories that also were reprinted in a digest put out long ago, which is in my collection; but there's lots that would be new to me, too.) Those Yoe books are a nice lot, aren't they? I've got the Popeye and Jetta ones, and could certainly see going for most of what he puts out.

Yikes, that's a whole lot of versions of Sabrina! It's kind of funny/sad. The original design and stories were already plenty fun, I agree.

The latest design is quite nice, but not necessarily "better". It just looks like a whole different character.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Archie Comics

Post by droosan » September 25th, 2011, 8:51 pm

The one thing that gives me a bit of hope (Loonatics-esque design aside) is that Mike Young is apparently in charge of this new Sabrina the Teen-Age Witch animated series.

I worked for Mr. Young about ten years ago, on the development of Jakers! .. and his company was also in-production on the Clifford the Big Red Dog series, at that time. Both were charming little shows that had rather long-lived runs on PBS. :)

--------------

It's like some kind of vintage Archie 'reprint revival' out there, at the moment .. besides the Yoe! books, IDW has been collecting 'the best of' Dan DeCarlo, Stan Goldberg and other major Archie storytellers into slick hardcover tomes, and Dark Horse has been publishing Archie Firsts -- 'DC Archive/Marvel Masterworks-style' hardcovers, which feature the earliest comic-book stories that established the main characters' personalities. The Archie daily newspaper comic-strips by Bob Montana are appearing in book form, too. :shock:

And on the digital end of the spectrum, GIT Media Group recently released a series of DVD-ROMs compiling the complete 'Bronze Age' runs of Archie, Jughead, and Betty & Veronica -- which contain .PDFs of every single issue of each title that was published between 1970 & 1979..! :o I'd bought all three sets a couple of years ago, and had been hoping that they'd eventually do likewise with the 1970s runs of Josie and the Pussycats and Sabrina the Teen-Age Witch .. but GIT seems to have now shifted their business away from digital comics titles. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 26th, 2011, 11:15 pm

The thing that amazes me about the Archie reprints is that there are 3 publishers involved, which seems kind of weird. First, that Archie needs help to publish books, and secondly that they would need the expertise of two partners. But hey, if it all works for them, then great. It's nice to see so much interest in the franchise.

The big IDW (Best of...) hardcovers look very nice, indeed, though I haven't been interested enough to purchase any. I did get the Pureheart softcover, though. I also got the newspaper strips one, which has just lovely art in it. I'll have to buy the Yoe history book, too, which has gotten nice reviews.

I've also gotten every one of the Red Circle/Mighty Heroes books that have come out (none for a while now), and wonder if Archie shpouldn't be looking at spiffier archives for some of that material. Paul Levitz tried to convince Archie years ago to go that way, rather than the cheap paperbacks. Of course, some of the Simon & Kirby stuff has recently been reprinted in gorgeous hardcovers elsewhere.

I wasn't too interested in the Bronze Era DVD-ROMS, but you're absolutely right--- a Sabrina one would be fairly cool.

What I'd love to see is a Life With Archie collection, with that old series that told various genre stories using the Archie gang. Those were often neat. (I did just buy the Life With Archie softcover that collects the marriage storylines from the new magazine, out of curiosity.)