DVD and Blu-ray deals

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
GeorgeC

Sales on a bunch of animation-related discs...

Post by GeorgeC » January 7th, 2005, 12:32 am

Once again, Media Play has the 2 for $30 deal on a bunch of in-stock Disney animation titles INCLUDING The Lion King, Lion King 1 1/2, and Lion King 2. (It's the best deal I've seen in town for Disney titles.)

Remember that all the Disney Lion King titles go on moratorium on January 31st.

Besides this, I've seen price reductions on both Big Fish and the Hellboy Special Edition (NOT the Director's Cut) DVDs at Target. Both DVDs have been lowered to $13.78.

I think Big Fish is the latest and best film Burton has directed in at least 10 years. The Hellboy Special Edition is the 2-disc set that has the UPA cartoons (including all the theatrical McBoings) as extras. Skip the Hellboy Director's Cut (if you want the cartoons) because the cartoons were deleted from that set to make room for more of the motion picture extras.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 7th, 2005, 3:46 am

Also, and more for our UK readers, Disney has been running a "two-for-one" offer in most stores, with all titles including recent releases, in the deal.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

New Classic Cartoon Set at Wal-Mart

Post by ShyViolet » June 3rd, 2005, 12:49 pm

This might have already been mentioned somewhere, so if it has, my bad. :oops: :wink:

I recently saw a DVD boxed set being sold for like 6 dollars in the bargain bin, so it might be at other Wal-Marts too. There are 60 classic cartoons on it--ranging from Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, Fleischer Superman, Betty Boop, Casper, and others. Most of them are in color I think, but there may be a few B & W ones.

There are 2 DVDs, and each DVD has 2 sides.

It definitely sounds worth it to me.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 3rd, 2005, 2:08 pm

Wow - anyone wanna buy me one and ship it to me?? :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 3rd, 2005, 2:20 pm

I will.

Just let me know where to ship it to.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 3rd, 2005, 2:44 pm

That sounds like the set I got about 2 years ago.

It's called 60 Classic Cartoons and was put out by Brentwood Home Video.

All the cartoons on it are in the public domain meaning their copyrights have expired in the US.

The DVDs are double-sided since it's cheaper to press DVDs that way and less expensive than authoring them dual-layer so beware of letting children handle these DVDs.

I've also seen the same DVDs split up into DVDs with 15 cartoons a-piece being sold as "15 Famous Cartoons featuring" a dominant character. Packaging seems to vary from double-disc thick Amaray sets to standard Amaray to Thin Pak to paper sleeve depending on the number of discs packed in the "sets."

Like I said, this seems to be a fairly common set and the cartoons on it are available in a million other collections.

There seem to be roughly 60-120 different cartoons that get recycled all over the place by the same 5-6 cheap video outfits that do public domain DVDs that end up at Borders, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, or Dollar General stores...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 3rd, 2005, 3:14 pm

Violet, is this what you are talking about:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Here's is a slightly-more expensive copy, with the cartoon listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

If so, then Ben, here is the set in the UK:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW

It's currently out of stock at Wal-Mart.com:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3296730

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 3rd, 2005, 3:40 pm

Uh-huh that's it. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 4th, 2005, 11:00 am

Mickey A wrote:Ben, here is the set in the UK:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW
THANKS MICKEY! :)

I know these are probably in other collections George, but the silly low price is worth it to pick up a few toons that I don't have. And the free CD? Bound to be a few hidden gems in those tracks!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 4th, 2005, 1:46 pm

You're welcome.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 4th, 2005, 2:15 pm

Yes,

This is the set I picked up about 2 years ago after it first came out. Must have been around Christmas time 2002 or 2003?

Anyhow, the "60 Classic" version DOES come with a CD of children's songs but they're nothing to write home about.

What is very good about this set is
A) NONE of the cartoons have "enhanced" sound effects but they DID recode the tracks for 5.1 and oddly enough the original tracks sound LOUDER in 5.1 than they do in 2.0 -- my guess is that they just doubled the sound tracks and play them through 5 speakers but it's NOT remixed; you're still getting the original tracks but in unenhanced 5.1; you can choose 2.0 or 5.1, but I recommend listening in 5.1 even if you don't have a 5.1 setup for your DVD player; it sounded better through my TV set and I have a very basic, non-5.1 setup;
B) most of the films are in decent shape but there's been no obvious restoration; the worst-shape cartoons are 1 or 2 of the color Famous Studios Popeyes (available in other sets in MUCH better shape) and 1 or 2 of the Iwerks shorts on the set; the B & W Popeyes and most of the Superman shorts are in EXCELLENT shape;
C) you get a very good sampling Famous Studios/Fleischers shorts but no much variety of anything else I'm afraid. However, there is 1 early Woody Woodpecker short on the disc and a few early Casper shorts.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 4th, 2005, 2:20 pm

This set is available in so many places that it's almost pathetic.

I've seen the 60 Classic Cartoons and its derivatives at Best Buy, Media Play (where I bought my copy), Suncoast Motion Picture Company, and it's available to order at a million online stores like Amazon.com, DVDPlanet.com, etc.

It's hardly the most-difficult-to-find public domain DVD set you'd encounter. I just think it hasn't been promoted well but I wrote up a review for this set when I participated at The Animation Show Forums...

The pricing on the 4-volume version I've got varies from $5.99 to $8.99 .

It wasn't as widely available when I first got it so I paid the $8.99 price at Media Play. Best Buy generally sells the set for $5.99 .
Last edited by GeorgeC on June 6th, 2005, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 5th, 2005, 1:53 pm

If only classic Disney shorts were this easy to get......! :( :( :cry: :cry:

Hmmmm....think maybe one day they'll be "public domain"??

Not bloody likely..... :roll:

BTW there's also Baby Huey on that DVD, plus Mutt and Jeff.

I think they're all Famous characters, right?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 5th, 2005, 7:50 pm

Well, I just won the one I was bidding on.

Not hard, as I was the only bidder, but there you go. Looking forward to seeing them all, whatever they're like.

Thanks again, Mick. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 5th, 2005, 8:12 pm

You are very welcome. I am glad I could help.