DVD and Blu-ray deals

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Chipmunk Adventure - $7.50 Bin at Walmart

Post by MrsTashlin » May 4th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Was strolling through the DVDs at my local walmart today and noticed this on the shelf. For 7.50. it is a Paramount released DVD, on the back it says full screen, Digitally remastered from the original 35MM print, in dolby 5.1. the only special feature listed that I am seeing is 'original artwork from the movie'. this has prolly been discussed somewhere else, but i couldnt find it. A heck of a deal for 7.50.:)

* just a quick note, the menu isn't interactive, but the print!!! OMG CLEAR, CRISP, Makes your eyes pop, and the sound is beautiful ! *

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 4th, 2008, 3:46 pm

I think someone did bring this up before, in the new live-action feature thread?

This sounds like the recent edition from Paramount, which should also have come with a CD of the soundtrack, as I understand.

Perhaps someone else can pick up which edition this may be...certainly it has some similarities to the soundtrack edition that they just brought out, but the lack of the CD in your description perhaps means they've also put out a cheaper, non-CD edition...?

Anyone able to offer any more info on this one? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » May 4th, 2008, 4:54 pm

I was describing the animated Alvin and the Chipmunks 'Chipmunk Adventure' Movie. the one with the chipettes and the diamonds in the dolls. Sorry for any confusion.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 4th, 2008, 7:16 pm

There were two DVD releases for this. One is this one:
http://animated-views.com/2006/the-chipmunk-adventure/

I think the more recent release simply changes the cover and adds a soundtrack CD, similar to what Paramount did with the Chipmunk Christmas disc.
http://www.amazon.com/Alvin-Chipmunks-A ... 744&sr=1-2

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » May 4th, 2008, 8:20 pm

I have the first one that is listed.:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 4th, 2008, 8:29 pm

Cool, Mrs T!

I just wanted to clear that up in case someone rushed out to the bargain bin to grab what they thought was a great deal and came home disappointed to find the CD soundtrack was missing.

The clearout deal is a good one, but some might want to spend a little more and pick up the more recent edition with the CD, which has been getting a bit of good feedback.

Thanks for the help Rand! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 4th, 2008, 11:41 pm

I still 'rock-out' to this one on Laserdisc, now and again .. 8)

Fun stuff .. but the 'baby penguin' subplot still makes me :roll:

/d-d-d-d-d-d-d-diamond dolls

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » May 5th, 2008, 8:37 am

Poo, I actually paid 10 dollars for it back in Fall when I really wanted to see it. Then they came out with the version with the cd (which I would have liked) and now the one I got is in bargin bin. Just can't win sometimes. ^.~ lol

Good movie though. It maynot be perfect but its very enjoyable and very pretty to watch. ^.^
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » May 5th, 2008, 10:01 am

I am not as half as dedicated to DVDs sometimes as you fine people are, and the edition that I found works for me just aweseomely:)..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 5th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Re-reading Rand's review and hearing the comments here, this sounds surprisingly good.

I think I'll add the new CD edition to my wish list and pick it up when there's a slight price drop.

:)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 5th, 2008, 1:29 pm

I just got the new edition not long ago. I didn't have either the film or the soundtrack, so it was a pretty good buy for me. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 5th, 2008, 11:33 pm

Hmm, I never did pick this one up the first time. Perhaps now is the time to retire my 18 year old VHS copy. :wink:

GeorgeC

Borders Discounts on DVDs and CDs

Post by GeorgeC » April 5th, 2009, 12:48 am

For a few years, the Borders Books & Music stores have been in financial trouble.

As part of the goal to become more profitable and reduce inventory, the stores are red-tagging a bunch of older DVDs and CDs. Red tag merchandise is 40% off. This includes a lot of animated titles from the US and abroad (Japan mainly).

So far, the word I've gotten is that the stores in my area are safe from closing -- for the time being. Other areas, probably not so lucky -- including the flagship store in Chicago.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 5th, 2009, 8:01 am

Didn't we be talking about this somewhere else already? ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 5th, 2009, 11:08 am

Not this... the discount sale and inventory reduction is new.

Thought it deserved its own topic since everybody's trying to save more money during the recession.

There is some GOOD stuff on sale now!