DVD and Blu-ray deals

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 6th, 2005, 10:31 am

Hey, I helped too! :) J/K :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2005, 7:29 pm

Well, okay, thanks to ShyVi as well then! :oops:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 6th, 2005, 11:10 pm

[quote="ShyViolet"]If only classic Disney shorts were this easy to get......! :( :( :cry: :cry:

Hmmmm....think maybe one day they'll be "public domain"??

Not bloody likely..... :roll:

BTW there's also Baby Huey on that DVD, plus Mutt and Jeff.

I think they're all Famous characters, right?[/quote]

Hmmm... Not Mutt and Jeff. I'm pretty sure that's owned by one of the comic strip syndicates but I don't know which one.

Baby Hue, Buzzy Buzzard, Little Audrey, and Herman and Catnip used to be Famous Studios characters but most if not all of them were bought out by the group known as Harvey Comics which also owns Richie Rich and Casper the Friendly Ghost -- another character that originated from Famous Studios.

At least half of the film prints on the set are original title release prints, the others reflect new ownership by film syndicates that licensed the films to TV stations and cut out the original Famous Studios/Paramount titles.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 7th, 2005, 11:59 am

I think Heckel and Jeckel (the two crows) are TerryToons. Are they still licensed to Paul Terry?

From what I understand almost every classic cartoon character with the exception of Disney and Warner Bros lost their studio rights to television rights in the 1950s and 60s. I mean every time Popeye gets shown who gets the profit anyway? What about Betty Boop--there's no more "RKO" pictures or Fleicsher pictures.I think Tom and Jerry still get the MGM credit, though, or maybe that's Hannah-Barbera now.

I might have just completely mixed everything up, this is just my impression.
:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Comic Book the Movie on clearance at Wal-Mart!

Post by GeorgeC » September 21st, 2005, 11:22 pm

The mockumentary, Comic Book: The Movie directed by Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker from Star Wars), is on clearance sale at Wal-Mart.

Until the 25th of September, you can get this 2-disc set for $6.44! After the 25th of September, Wal-Mart is clearing this movie from its shelves and won't sell it in the stores any more.

The low price was too tempting for me tonight. Already have my copy!

I've heard various things about it from being too-injokey to juvenile, but it should be interesting to see what the voices of Spongebob, Yakko, Johnny Bravo, and so many other characters look like.

Besides that, there's plenty of material and interviews of interest to people interested in animation, comic books, science fiction, conventions, and pop culture in general.

I'm sure there are parts of this film that are VERY weird!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 22nd, 2005, 6:08 am

Damn me and British stuck location!! :(

GeorgeC

Walt Disney's Classic Cartoon Favorites on sale at TRU!

Post by GeorgeC » September 23rd, 2005, 11:03 pm

Toys 'R Us has ALL SEVEN volumes of Walt Disney's Classic Cartoon Favorites marked down to $7.99 through October 1st! (At least in the Columbus, Ohio area at any rate...)

These are the single DVD keepcases that contain around 9 cartoons a-piece with a character theme. Although many of these cartoons have been released already on volumes of the Disney Treasures tincases, many people who might not WANT to buy the tincases might look into these cheaper alternatives.

As it is, I don't think many, if any, of the Chip and Dale theatrical shorts (volume 4 of Classic Cartoon Favorites) have been released on DVD yet.

That's the one DVD of this set that I bought. It's tempting to get another DVD if and when I go back to TRU before the end of next week...

TRU also has a lot of other Disney and other family favorites (re: many cartoon DVDs) in-stock that are kind of hard to find, if not get on sale, at other merchandizers, too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 24th, 2005, 3:35 pm

Be aware that, for some reason, many of the cartoons here are pre-restored, older video prints as to what gets cleaned up for the Treasures.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 27th, 2005, 4:21 pm

I'd rather get the Treasures.... :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Cartoons DVDs at Wal-Mart for ONE DOLLAR EACH!

Post by ShyViolet » June 18th, 2006, 11:40 pm

I saw them last week. Old WB cartoons with Felix the Cat, Betty Boop, Casper, etc...the usual suspects.

Not to mention a sizable smattering of the classic Fleisher Superman shorts! :) (no doubt to capitalize on the movie)

I got one DVD with eight Superman cartoons, including "Terror on the Midway." :)

I think they all come from the Genius company or something.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 20th, 2006, 7:30 am

These are basically the same shorts sold last year through various companies.

They must all be using the same public domain prints or getting the film transfers from the same company.

Reports are that the discs generally don't last very long and have a tendency to corrupt quickly.

Besides, there are better sources for the Fleischer Superman shorts anyways. The best Fleischer Superman disc available now is the Bosko (Golden Anniversary edition) DVD that's been out for 6 years now. It shows up on Amazon.com for $10 and I've started seeing it at Borders, Best Buy, and Barnes & Noble more frequently. Unlike the $1 discs, the Bosko DVD has ALL 17 Superman shorts on it uncut. Even the copy of "Terror on the Midway" is better than 99% of the other copies of that short on the market.

Warners is supposed to be releasing the Fleischer Superman shorts later this as part of the big Superman home video promotional push but there's no word yet IF you can buy the shorts separately from the Ultimate Superman boxset (all the live-action features) or not. However, glimpses of the restored shorts on the recent Superman documentary show that WB did a fine job getting the shorts looking great again.

Even the prints on the Bosko disc look a bit faded... The Bosko disc, however is NOWHERE near as bad as the earlier Image Fleischer Superman DVD ("The Superman Cartoons of Max & Dave Fleischer") or last month's VCI Superman cartoons release. Avoid those DVDs like the plague. The Digital Bits did a comparison of all 3 releases and the Bosko was by far the best.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 23rd, 2006, 1:26 pm

Reports are that the discs generally don't last very long and have a tendency to corrupt quickly.

Yeah...I haven't played it yet...it looks very old and might not even work right. The box (the thinnest DVD box I have ever seen, like half a centimeter!) also has this weird smell to it.

:roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 23rd, 2006, 1:31 pm

also has this weird smell to it.
That doesn't sound sanitary.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 23rd, 2006, 2:53 pm

LOL, yeah. I don't know what it is, maybe some cheap plastic or something. Hmmm....

They must all be using the same public domain prints or getting the film transfers from the same company.
Now that the movie is coming out from Warner Bros, does that mean those cartoons aren't public domain anymore?

Isn't Superman techinically property of DC?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 26th, 2006, 12:59 pm

I bought the VCI disc. Luckily, I was able to take it back... :(

The DigiView issues were not bad at all, but the news that WB has done a proper restoration is good, although I wasn't that impressed by the clips seen on the recent Up In The Sky doc.

Vi...yes, these are still PD shorts, but WB/DC hold the copyright to all Superman related indicia. Their bet here, and with the upcoming Popeye issues, is that given a proper "legitimate release" as they call it from a major studio will put all other releases in the shade and they will forever be the ones to own.

There is NO DOUBT George, that these shorts will be made available separately at some point. The Ultimate box will eventually be issued as individual titles, even if it is a year later. Every box set gets broken up eventually...