New release Maquette and Statue Thread

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » July 1st, 2009, 1:23 am

Randall wrote:they may have pushed the squash and stretch a little far.
Understatement of the day :)

That Shadow get-up is one slick design! Real dynamic, with a good base enhancing the overall "sweep" of the action. How much is thing going to sell for?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 1st, 2009, 1:19 pm

Sunday,

This statue will sell for at least $150, probably $200. That's normal for a statue this big.

Online, you'd be able to get it for at least 25% off if not 35% off if you pre-order it ahead of time from an online comic book dealer. I pre-order a lot of more expensive items from Discount Comic Book Service myself. There are other online comic book retailers like Tales of Wonder and Things From Another World, too, that do pre-orders.

Unfortunately, Electric Tiki does colored and slight sculpting variants of a lot of its statues and these variants are typically only available through SideShow Collectibles and its affiliates (re: NOT in Previews or available readily to companies that deal with Diamond directly). This won't affect The Shadow statue here but it does affect variants of other Tiki licenses like the Buffy the Vampire Slayer animated statue line.

It's just a matter of preference on who you like to do business with. What I don't like about Tales of Wonder is that they want your money right away. I prefer to do some things by credit card and wait for charges before shipping. I don't like the business of people charging right away for items that haven't shipped...

Again, most of what I'd order online are items I'd buy at a local comic book shop.

I've been economizing and ordering any books or statues over $30 online for a while myself. That's reality -- we all have to find ways to stretch our dollars and save some money!

The only time I buy anything that's normally $50 is when they have backissue hardcover sales at the local comic book shop... The prices then are in-line with online discounts.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2009, 6:49 am

Darn it!

When I read "Herbie" I got VERY excited and thought "now this might be something I actually have to work out how to get".

But that's an <I>awful</I> sculpt! Honestly, there's so much "character" forced in there that there's no actual Herbie!

From their chosen front angle it doesn't look so bad, but from everywhere else it's not Herbie at all...doesn't even resemble a VW!

Very odd, very strange. Nice to see the character chosen as something to celebrate in this way, but such a shame he's been squished out of all recognition. :(

GeorgeC

Beware the Horned King (bust)!

Post by GeorgeC » July 10th, 2009, 10:02 pm

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=7063

The Black Cauldron finally gets some love shown from Disney...

This is the first piece of licensed, tie-in merchandise I'm aware of for what is one of Disney's worst animated features...

(Okay, the DTV is generally worse!)

(Still love the Prydain books and want to get them in hardcover, though.)

This bust, on the other hand, looks pretty sweet and very menacing! If only Darth Vader could stop looking so cuddly by comparison and actually as menacing as he did in some of the old Ralph McQuarrie concept art and production paintings!

Ten-to-one says this is another Disney sculpt by Ruben.

That man just keeps getting my money for Disney stuff! :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 11th, 2009, 11:26 am

Love how they're using the original, proper logo!

GeorgeC

New release Maquette and Statue Thread

Post by GeorgeC » July 25th, 2009, 6:18 pm

In the interests of keeping threads lower,

I'm going to post new links and images of announced animation maquettes and statues related to animation or action-adventure characters here from now on...

First up in the new thread --

Super Goof!

Mightier than a fanboy in cosplay tights at San Diego Comic-Con and infinitely-better smelling(!), he means well but just keeps tripping and breaking things left and right!

You'll laugh, you'll cry -- you'll kiss your city's treasury goodbye!

Urban renewal has never had a better friend!

Aww, shucks, it's just cheaper to pay the crooks and ban him from your state!

http://www.alteregocomics.com/store/cat ... -6284.html

With all the powers of Superman, he's as quick-witted as a signpost and unfortunately as fast as The Flash without the speed-brakes!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 25th, 2009, 11:01 pm

Very cool. I love how he's pondering his super goober.

I was thrilled a few months ago when I tracked down the Gladstone Super Goof album on eBay. Fun stuf.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 26th, 2009, 3:06 am

When I first asked Tracy Mark Lee about Electric Tiki's Disney offerings he made the point that E.T. was going to try to stay away from the more popular offerings and do the lesser-seen, more offbeat characters and alternate incarnations.

Careful what you wish for! :lol:

But seriously, it looks like Tiki hit another home run out of the park with this Super-Goof statue.

I'm already getting their Rollercoaster Jessica Rabbit (the main "green shirt" edition that's offered at better discount online than Sideshow's exclusive color variants which I didn't care for).

That won't be the only Jessica Rabbit I'm getting, though. I liked Ruben Procopio's minibust version for another company, too, and I'm getting the red dress version. Again, I didn't care for the Sideshow Collectible's variant edition with the "glitter gown." It just didn't look as good to me as the red version.

For an extra bonus, I saw Ruben's latest blog entry from the SDCC Electric Tiki showcase --

http://maskedavengerstudios.blogspot.com/

There are prototype painted statues as well as current releases highlighted at Electric Tiki's booth. The Rocketeer statue looks really nice but I've got my heart set more on The Shadow. I've already got a polystone minibust of The Rocketeer at any rate and really don't need another duplicate.

Really, it looks like the good stuff from SDCC this year was more from the animated collectibles and direct-to-video presentations. I'm really leery of what I'm hearing about from live-action and Disney's offerings. Frankly, I'm pretty bored by most of the news in that arena.

No question DC owns the home video market with its adaptation of the classic superheroes.

The Marvel animated TV series that I'm hearing about don't so that good to me to be honest... There's just something lacking there and none of the Marvel shows have clicked anywhere near as well as the best DC stuff has for at least 20 years.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » July 26th, 2009, 8:26 am

Wow, I remember Super Goof. I actually have a Super Goof comic book from 1979, I bought for very cheaply at a school sale.

It's not in particularly good condition, though.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 26th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Freddy's a very, very bad guy but this maquette is cool!

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodi ... er=GE10702

Very good design and I love the expression on the girl's face!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 26th, 2009, 5:21 pm

I'm not a Freddy fan at all, but that's some nice design work.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 26th, 2009, 5:55 pm

With Rand on that one.

Wow...SuperGoof! I have a stack of SG comics...always liked that strip and was surprised that they never turned it into a DTV show. Ah well, still time...! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » July 26th, 2009, 7:15 pm

Ben wrote: Wow...SuperGoof! I have a stack of SG comics...always liked that strip and was surprised that they never turned it into a DTV show. Ah well, still time...! ;)
I actually remember a House of Mouse episode that had Goofy discovering the Goobers and turning into Super Goof. But, I think that's the closest they've gone to portraying the character on screen.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 26th, 2009, 10:42 pm

Ben wrote:With Rand on that one.

Wow...SuperGoof! I have a stack of SG comics...always liked that strip and was surprised that they never turned it into a DTV show. Ah well, still time...! ;)

SuperGoof would be the "Sledge Hammer" of animated superhero shows.

"Now your town can have disastrously high insurance rates after this Super-Dip shows up!"

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 1st, 2009, 10:42 pm

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=448 ... dium=email

The Shadow statue maquette from Electric Tiki is now up for pre-order at Sideshow Collectibles.

Collectibles has both the regular AND Exclusive (Ex) edition (with replica of The Shadow's ring) up for pre-order.

The regular statue should be available for ordering through discount comic shops within a month or two... I have not seen it listed it yet in Previews so I'm guessing it'll be a minimum of another month before the next Previews lists it.

(I've got reserves at my LCS and get Previews for free. Trust me -- the Shadow statue has NOT been listed yet! When it does list, it should be at least 20% below MSRP at places like Discount Comic Book Services. Alter Ego and other sites should list it soon, too.)

I'm adding to this topic instead of the general maquette thread started recently since this is Shadow-exclusive...