Netflix Trying to stop password Sharing!

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Netflix Trying to stop password Sharing!

Post by gaastra » March 11th, 2021, 10:39 pm

We have are own netflix so this does not affect me but looks like netflix is trying to slow down password sharing!

https://deadline.com/2021/03/netflix-is ... 234712583/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Netflix Trying to stop password Sharing!

Post by Randall » March 11th, 2021, 11:31 pm

I don't blame them, but it'll be stuff to stop. It's easy enough to lie when asked if you live in that household or not.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 11th, 2021, 11:37 pm

After all, if there's one company that's struggling financially, it's Netflix.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 12th, 2021, 1:01 am

It's all about maximizing profit. And it's only fair to expect people to pay for what they use.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 12th, 2021, 5:13 am

This was mooted about eight months ago, but they have said this is more about people with 17 profiles sharing multiple locations rather than a family where the kids might be between parents or a parent may be away on work and just wants to unwind in a motel with a show.

They have admitted that you can geolock access simply because 'Flix is designed to be watched at home or on the go, hence why Quibi was always going to be a dead duck from day one.

We, for instance, share an account with my wife's son, since his daughter — pre Covid — used to stay here some weekends and she’d pick something for us to watch on her profile. In return, they have one of our D+ profiles, since otherwise we’d have four streams doing nothing.

This is as legit as you could "bend" things, I think, since it’s one family member between addresses. It’s not like we hand out the additional streams to other family members. If we had to pay for both then one of them would go, so it’s not like either service would gain or lose any subs.

But they do want to clamp down on thise that do give out their account details to multiple people and are not just sharing thise details but setting up multiple profiles all over the place. It’s kind of like how pubs and bars need to prove they’ve paid the right to show a game rather than just have their home cable sub and pull in a huge crowd.

I think you’ll maybe need to register a couple of primary addresses that are most used, but this is still an issue for those that travel and use their accounts all over. The good thing is at least they understand this, and are willing to accept a certain number of instances where accounts are shared for legit reason and profiles are accessed from a small number of locations.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SelmaAdam » May 18th, 2021, 4:36 pm

They started testing a feature that could prod users who are borrowing a password from someone outside their household to buy a subscription. ... “The test is designed to help ensure that people using Netflix accounts are authorized to do so,” the company said in a statement.
It would be best thing to only limit the number of logins per account.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SKeo » May 20th, 2021, 9:13 am

It really doesn't make sense to me. If I'm paying for a subscription why I can't share it with the people I want?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 20th, 2021, 9:29 am

Because they aren't paying for it. Kinda obvious, I thought.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SKeo » May 20th, 2021, 11:11 am

But there is no piracy after all and someone's paying for them anyway. I think the company is being kinda greedy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 20th, 2021, 9:16 pm

Someone bumming off a paid account isn't piracy? I think we have different definitions.

An account is to be used by the account holder and those living in that home. It isn't intended to be given away to friends. I don't blame Netflix at all for cracking down on moochers. You may disagree, but the fact is that sharing a password with friends is against the agreement that you agreed to when you signed up. Essentially, you are breaking the contract. Anyone who doesn't like the contract doesn't have to agree to it. But then, don't sign up for the service. It's no different than stealing cable from your neighbor, with or without their consent.

If a service has value, anyone using it should be willing to pay for it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 21st, 2021, 4:54 am

My only issue with Netflix is that the speed connection isn’t the best. I wish my neighbour would upgrade to a faster wifi package so we didn’t get so much buffering... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bjork » September 22nd, 2021, 4:53 am

I suppose if they wanted... they could make Two-Factor mandatory. Send a SMS text message or E-mail every time someone logs in on a new device -- phone numbers are less likely to be shared with strangers - Limit number of logged in devices by a hardware ID and/or mail out free dongles to new subscribers of the low-profile mini-USB form to be plugged into their personal computer for accessing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by rossjulie » September 30th, 2021, 2:25 am

Randall wrote:
March 11th, 2021, 11:31 pm
I don't blame them, but it'll be stuff to stop. It's easy enough to lie when asked if you live in that household or not.
I once saw a modded version of Netflix being sold on a Telegram account.Curious to know how it works

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by BobTeu » November 12th, 2021, 5:40 am

Yeah, it's about Netflix's own growth, but anyhow password sharing is possible, or in another way, they will lose users!
What are you are guys thinking? because after the COVID pandemic everyone has another option to get entertained!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2021, 10:49 am

The pandemic is not over.