The state and future of animation

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The state and future of animation

Post by EricJ » November 22nd, 2022, 10:09 pm

Or, will they dump more cheap Indian-animated Madagascar-knockoffs on Netflix?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » November 24th, 2022, 4:49 pm

Why is it so hard for original films to be successful?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 27th, 2022, 2:26 pm

Scott Mendelson said something interesting:
The failure of #StrangeWorld    is another sign that big-scale animated films, no matter the studio, are no longer automatic theatrical events. "That looks good, whatever" is no longer enough. We've not had a non-sequel toon top $500M since 'Boss Baby' and 'Coco' in 2017.

Disney's entire 2018/2019 animated output was sequels to 'Wreck-It Ralph,' 'Incredibles,' 'Toy Story' and 'Frozen.' Even before Covid, 'Onward' bombed. This could partially be Disney facing the new normal a few years behind schedule.

Does this mean 'Raya,' 'Soul' and 'Turning Red' would have flopped had they opened normally in non-Covid times? I dunno, but I get why Sony leased 'Mitchells vs. the Machines' and 'Vivo' to Netflix.

Beyond the IP-ificiation of pop culture, I'm wondering if it's not the same issue that plagued a slew of animated sequels (LEGO Movie 2, Angry Birds 2, Secret Life of Pets 2) in 2019. The first films were buzzy, four-quadrant hits. The sequels were 'just for kids.'

That's partially why Universal sent 'Trolls: World Tour' to PVOD, and why the lower grosses for 'Croods 2' and 'Boss Baby 2' weren't disastrous. Unless there's nostalgia ('How to Train Your Dragon 3') and marquee characters ('Frozen II'), adults don't show up.

The failure of 'LEGO Movie 2,' the struggles of original toons like 'Abominable' and now the challenges facing even big-budget Disney/Pixar animated films may stem from the mere fact that, as was the case before 1989, animated films are now considered 'just for kids.'

I still think a more adult-skewing gem like 'Soul' might have broken out. And obviously, some IP titles ('Despicable Me 4' 'Across the Spider-Verse,' 'Super Mario Bros.' etc.) can and likely will score huge next year. But, again, it's IP and marquee characters.

But (along with the other Disney+/Bob Chapek variables) the failure of #StrangeWorld    is partially about the big-budget animated film, in and of itself, no longer being a four-quadrant, "cool for adults too" theatrical "genre." It might not just be a Disney problem.
https://twitter.com/ScottMendelson/stat ... ECxJA&s=19

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 27th, 2022, 4:49 pm

Well part of that is marketing, too, and that creating that darn Best Animated Oscar doesn’t help animated films of all genres getting lumped together. You know, they’re just cartoons… :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 27th, 2022, 10:59 pm

"Does this mean 'Raya,' 'Soul' and 'Turning Red' would have flopped had they opened normally in non-Covid times?"
....No comment. :roll:

Onward was genuinely well-received, and the idea that it "flopped" had more to do with theaters closing the NEXT WEEK across the country, than the "Elemental" idea that it was Just Another Pixar. Turning Red may have left a few viewers with feelings of "Okay, so maybe elf-dudes aren't so 'bad' after all, are they?--At least that one had mainstream appeal."
As for Soul, the Picasso-doodles and unlikable money-character would have confused a paying audience out of whatever goodwill the black-jazz plot had a hope of creating.

And, like Scoob, Trolls: World Tour had to make back its production budget, but just happened to be in the right place at the right time:
Parents trapped at home with their kids weren't going to rent Oscar dramas, and yes, DreamWorks sequels don't look much different from direct-to-video to begin with. Could you have seen the fourth Kung Fu Panda film actually playing theaters?

As for Lego Movie 2, I wasn't crazy about the original, although I could see where it was coming from, and even I looked at the 2 trailer and thought "...the HECK?? :? "

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 28th, 2022, 7:03 am

I think Soul would have easily done Up numbers given a chance.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 28th, 2022, 1:56 pm

Oh yeah, definitely. A true gem.
EricJ wrote:
November 27th, 2022, 10:59 pm
Could you have seen the fourth Kung Fu Panda film actually playing theaters?
It hasn't even come out yet, let alone a trailer.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 28th, 2022, 4:43 pm

So, that thing with Jack Black's franchise-obligated "Noooooo!..." spewing noodles everywhere was, what, a teaser?
(I mean, if they're going to show me that ad twenty times, I'd at least like to know.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 28th, 2022, 5:17 pm

Trailer for the Netflix series The Dragon Knight.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » December 3rd, 2022, 9:41 pm

What animated film next year do you think will do the best at the box office?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 4th, 2022, 1:59 pm

Super Mario Bros. - built in fandom.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » December 4th, 2022, 2:19 pm

How about the Spider-Verse sequel, and Trolls 3?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 4th, 2022, 2:26 pm

Oh yeah, Spider-Verse has a very good shot.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » December 7th, 2022, 9:04 am

How Disney Animation Lost the Box Office Crown to Universal for 3 Straight Years – With No Turnaround in Sight
https://www.thewrap.com/disney-animatio ... universal/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 8th, 2022, 1:19 am

Yeah, all THEY had to sell during the Lockdown was Black Widow, the live-action Mulan, Turning Red and Artemis Fowl.
(And two of those, they gave away for "free", like Soul.)