AV Founder

Re: YouTube Goodness

Post by James » December 3rd, 2022, 10:11 pm

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 3rd, 2022, 10:43 pm

Original ads? Sweetness! :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 3rd, 2022, 10:54 pm

James wrote:
December 2nd, 2022, 10:30 am
They took the empty historic train station that was on the fairgrounds and turned it into a restaurant during the fair. After the fair it again sat empty for decades. About 12 years ago, they turned it into a magnet high school in Worlds Fair Park. Both my kids got to go there and it was extremely cool to have that as your campus.
Sadly, that's one of the reasons we don't have World Expos anymore, since the problem of What to Do With the Leftovers ends up being more of a problem than the reason for holding them in the first place.
(Ie., putting an overlooked tourism-hungry city "on the map", like Seattle, Vancouver, New Orleans, Knoxville, or that '20 Dubai Expo that was indefinitely postponed by Covid.)

I have dim memories of Montreal as a kid, which became infamous for trying to keep their Expo ruins as long as possible--
And I would have forgotten all about it, if I hadn't seen the Man & His World building used as post-apocalyptic sets in Robert Altman's "Quintet", and thought, "Yeah, wait, I remember those big murals on the wall... :shock: "

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 4th, 2022, 12:13 am

World Expos do still happen. The Dubai one wrapped up at the end of March. The next one will begin April 2025 in Osaka, Japan.

I had a high school band trip to Expo 86 in Vancouver. It was a fabulous time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 4th, 2022, 12:22 am

Well, WE don't (ie., North America) since Vancouver, and TBH, Knoxville and New Orleans were contributing reasons why.

My only regrets about Expo '86 were not being able to buy a legally hunted wolf pelt at the Northwest Territories pavilion, and always putting off Japan's ride on a real bullet train because the lines were always too long. :?

(And while some might have had their first Furry stirrings from Disney movies, I'm still looking for a photo of that dancer in the Canada goose mascot outfit, at Canada's pre-show. :oops: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 4th, 2022, 12:39 am

New Orleans in '84 definitely -- they declared bankruptcy DURING the fair! But the '82 Knoxville fair was one of our best attended, and is considered the last successful World's Fair held in the US. (Lived there a long time and spent a lot of time on those grounds! Also this past year was the 40th anniversary so retrospectives got a lot of press!)

EDIT: Apparently Minnesota is bidding on the 2027 fair.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2022, 3:47 am

So the Sunsphere was/is pretty massive then! Went back and looked at Eric's commercial (wow, that guy had a real screen personality presence did he?) and see what you mean. Cool that you can still go up there to see the view, but kind of a shame they didn’t keep it open. I mean, yeah, most expo things like this have a shelf life, but a restaurant is a restaurant and you’d think there would be a way to make it a viable business comcern, maybe adding another reason for going on one of the other floors to make it a real night out (or lunch), like a bar, hireable meeting space, or somesuch.

It’s pretty similar to what is known as the Post Office Tower here in London, which has a rotating level that spins (very slowly) around so you can take in all of the city. It’s otherwise a communications structure, but they turned that level into a restaurant too. Must be something about food and heights, though I wouldn’t have thought that was the best combination!

Thanks for posting Muppets James! That’s a find! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » December 7th, 2022, 3:59 pm

Here is a nice short made by Pixi-Gags!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 7th, 2022, 6:48 pm

I guess "nice" is subjective…? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 8th, 2022, 12:26 pm

What a twist. :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » December 8th, 2022, 12:54 pm

I like Luca's reimagining of "The Three Little Pigs" because in many stories, the wolves are always the losers. Those occasions where the wolf actually wins make me happy because I like wolves.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2022, 4:45 pm

We have noticed. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 15th, 2022, 11:21 pm

Pluto's Christmas Tree is one of my favorite Disney shorts. (You can watch it legally here!) But I'd never heard of this! Apparently a few years after the shorts' release, a Little Golden Book called Donald Duck's Christmas Tree was published. It basically has the same plot but with Mickey switched with Donald! Instead of carolers at the end, it's Huey, Dewey, and Louie.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 16th, 2022, 12:04 am

Ya gotta love Little Golden Books! I have never seen this one, either.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 16th, 2022, 12:50 am

Should have put this in the post. The short was 1952, the book 1954, which makes it even weirder to me!

And yes, Little Golden Books are the best!