AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Manga & Anime THREAD

Post by gaastra » May 26th, 2024, 8:43 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 27th, 2024, 10:57 am

Detective conans new movie is a monster. The 27th Conan feature film has stayed at #1 for six consecutive weekends. It's now conans highest grossing movie.

Don't mess with conan in japan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comm ... omes_case/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 1st, 2024, 9:15 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 5th, 2024, 8:05 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 7th, 2024, 9:32 am

My hero Academia 4 hits american box office oct 11. Last movie hit first place at the american box office but alot of family movies out at that time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comm ... eaters_on/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 7th, 2024, 11:34 pm

Lovers of Osamu Tezuka rejoice! His eight "Love Saves the Earth" telefilms done from 1978 to 1989 for Nippon TV are coming to Blu-ray. A deluxe set is being made in France, and it looks pretty spiffy. Subtitle options will include English. They are crowdfunding for it right now, with some nice swag to those who preorder a set (though for now they are only shipping to the EU).
https://www.kisskissbankbank.com/fr/pro ... -anthology

Tezuka, the "God of Manga," is the father of Astro Boy and many other properties like Black Jack and Princess Knight. Astro Boy even appears in one of the telefilms. I've been really wanting to see these films since first reading about them in a book about Tezuka a few years ago. I'm thrilled to see this set coming out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 9th, 2024, 1:19 am

That's definitely a cool-looking set! 8)

A couple of these aired while I was still living in Japan, in the late-1970s. I didn't see them .. and I didn't come to appreciate Osamu Tezuka until after I'd returned to the U.S.A. .. but I quickly became very fond of his TV series, movies & manga, when I did discover them! :mrgreen:

One of Tezuka's early TV anime that I had on Laserdisc (in japanese language only) way back when was Wonder 3 .. which focused on a trio of aliens who could shape-shift into a horse, a duck and a rabbit. Happily, the very first episode is on YouTube with english subtitles:

.. which I mention mostly because the fourth entry in this "Love Saves The Earth" set -- titled Bremen 4 -- appears to have very much the same premise! I wonder whether it's related to Wonder 3 in some way .. a sequel? a 'reimagining'..?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2024, 5:45 am

Yeah, maybe he just felt that now (then) he had a chance to revisit an earlier concept with more time and production value in a feature version?

Rand joked in an email that I might "mock" the amount of cash he splashed on this, but I actually totally get it! It’s a great looking set that even I would be tempted by, given its place in the larger animation world landscape and how much material is in there. It all looks quality too! I get it Rand! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 9th, 2024, 8:21 pm

I have the Wonder 3 manga (the English translation held in Kickstarter hell a few years ago), and would enjoy seeing a set of the show. Maybe that could come from the same company (or another) someday.

The "mock" comment was more about how I had told Ben that I was cutting back on disc purchases, only to lay out a bunch of money for this set. But it was too much of a grail item for me to pass up.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 10th, 2024, 3:06 am

You will never cut back.

We…can never cut back…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 17th, 2024, 10:39 am

trailer for ranma remake.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 17th, 2024, 4:36 pm

I should've figured that was coming, after Urusei Yatsura's success ..

.. but this really doesn't look too much different from the original, design-wise. Even the voices are perfect sound-alikes! :mrgreen: