Disney Pixar Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2007, 7:19 am

Ben wrote:Disney/Pixar: that arrangement is just for the Pixar movies, basically as its always been. Disney films will go out with the "Walt Disney Pictures Presents" logo on it (like Robinsons), though there's talk of a "Walt Disney Animation Studios" logo coming into play.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 8th, 2007, 11:26 am

No, I get it now. I just thought for a second (without reading carefully enough) that since Pixar guys have some say on Disney features now, films like MTR and Rupunzal would get branded "Disney-Pixar." But that would, of course, totally go against the whole idea of keeping the Pixar name/culture "separate" from the Disney one.

(So....if the new American Dog or whatever it's going to be called flops, Pixar won't get any of the blame, it'll all be because "Disney's going downhill....")

I also thought this was a couple of interesting posts from Animation Nation:

Greg B

IE # 118
Member # 886

posted March 07, 2007 09:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeez, it's only been a short time since Eisner got the boot and now the new guy everyone cheered on is getting the treatment. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Lilo and Stitch is one of the best family films of all time because it isn't just about blood but about character that binds a family. It's the most unconventional yet warm in an Addams Family way where everyone has their own idiosyncracies but together they're stronger.

We outsiders can't fathom what Lasseter is going through with this mega corporation. He's got more cattle to wrangle with the extra responsibility of an even larger, greedier stockholder base. Not only that but he's raising a family at the same time.

If Walt Disney were to come back I'd bet after his first few features and decisions he'd be getting the treatment too.

--------------------
http://www.evolbaby.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IP: Logged |

Semaj
Member # 3131

posted March 07, 2007 10:01 PM
Imagine if fans had more info of what was going on at Disney back in the 1960's. And they knew Bill Peet was behind 101 Dalmatians, among their other favorite films.

How do you think they would've responded when they learned why Peet left Disney? That Walt hated his treatment of The Jungle Book?

People then, and still today view Walt as a jerk, because of his relationship with his artists. But thankfully, that hasn't clouded the main perception of his repetoire. John Lassater seems to be going thru the same thing.

Greatness can't seem to be achieved without stepping on some toes.

Walt was great because he recognized the talent and skill of his directors and nurtured their talents, at least to an extent. Ditto the 1984-1994 regime. Oh, and....one more thing....

Walt didn't own/manage some other animation studio other than Disney that was going to be releasing films that are in direct competition with that studio. :roll:

Walt was....ALL ABOUT DISNEY. Not Warner Brothers, not UPA, not Fleischer Studios, not Hannah-Barbera, not TerryToons.

Seriously, if Walt was alive.....do you REALLY think he would have approved of a merger of the ilk that the one Disney just gave into (uh, I mean agreed to) with Pixar?
Do you think he would have liked seeing his company get shafted in favor of some up-and-coming studio that has only made seven films, (and not one of them traditionally animated) a studio that seems to actively show disdain towards the basic things he saw as making a worthy animated movie: a great villain, a romance, songs, fairy tales? All spurred on by the actions of a nephew he never particularly liked, and who has played the "looks like Walt" card a thousand times over??

I doubt it very much. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2007, 12:13 pm

If Walt were alive (or to be more realistic, died in the 1990s), Walt Disney Productions would have been making animated films using CGI in the 1980s.

I truly, truly believe that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 8th, 2007, 12:39 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Sorry, Sull. Dumb question I guess....:wink:

BTW, I saw a kids' storybook for MTR today...the film looks absolutely awesome!! :)
Thanks. But PLEASE don't read it!

I've been reading one of them, the Tokyo Pop comic book, and it gives away the whole plot, but in this kind of boring way where all the emotion and tension have been totally drained out, along with most of the jokes and all of the character development!

Best to see this movie as cold as possible, IMO. It's really more fun that way.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 8th, 2007, 12:43 pm

Dude, if Walt were alive we'd be flying around with rocket jetpacks and flying cars with robot butlers.

On the moon.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2007, 12:47 pm

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 8th, 2007, 12:53 pm

Oh cool....BOY I wish he was alive. :)

I've been reading one of them, the Tokyo Pop comic book, and it gives away the whole plot, but in this kind of boring way where all the emotion and tension have been totally drained out, along with most of the jokes and all of the character development!
Yeah, that's the one I saw. I also didn't want to know the plot, so I just kinda skimmed it, mostly to look at the photos. :)

They're beautiful. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 8th, 2007, 1:20 pm

If Walt were alive (or to be more realistic, died in the 1990s), Walt Disney Productions would have been making animated films using CGI in the 1980s.

I truly, truly believe that.
I also believe he would have embraced CGI, but wouldn't have let 2d go completely. Or, at least, he would have hung on to the story attributes that made Disney films classics, regardless of how they are animated. Especially scary villains, and romance. (As Glen Keane is demonstrating, you can still do a great fairy tale in CGI.)

And Walt would have put Disney above ALL ELSE, even another animation studio. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2007, 3:16 pm

I doubt Pixar would exist. They'd all be working for Walt!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 8th, 2007, 9:23 pm

Greg B

IE # 118
Member # 886

posted March 07, 2007 09:13 PM
Jeez, it's only been a short time since Eisner got the boot and now the new guy everyone cheered on is getting the treatment. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Lilo and Stitch is one of the best family films of all time because it isn't just about blood but about character that binds a family. It's the most unconventional yet warm in an Addams Family way where everyone has their own idiosyncracies but together they're stronger.

We outsiders can't fathom what Lasseter is going through with this mega corporation. He's got more cattle to wrangle with the extra responsibility of an even larger, greedier stockholder base. Not only that but he's raising a family at the same time.

If Walt Disney were to come back I'd bet after his first few features and decisions he'd be getting the treatment too.

--------------------
http://www.evolbaby.com

IP: Logged |

Semaj
Member # 3131

posted March 07, 2007 10:01 PM
Imagine if fans had more info of what was going on at Disney back in the 1960's. And they knew Bill Peet was behind 101 Dalmatians, among their other favorite films.

How do you think they would've responded when they learned why Peet left Disney? That Walt hated his treatment of The Jungle Book?

People then, and still today view Walt as a jerk, because of his relationship with his artists. But thankfully, that hasn't clouded the main perception of his repetoire. John Lassater seems to be going thru the same thing.

Greatness can't seem to be achieved without stepping on some toes.
Hmm, actually Vi, I kind of agree with that. Not that I'm saying Lassy is the next Walt Disney or anything (and as far as I'm concerned, no one ever will be - look at the impact Walt made on the entire American culture!), but those comments seem to really hit the nail on the head, at least for me anyway.
Dude, if Walt were alive we'd be flying around with rocket jetpacks and flying cars with robot butlers.

On the moon.
Heh.

(BTW, I love your av, Sull. :) )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 9th, 2007, 12:02 am

Thanks!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 9th, 2007, 12:58 am

I just now noticed, awesome av, Sully! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 9th, 2007, 2:53 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 9th, 2007, 3:13 am

ShyViolet wrote:
I also believe he would have embraced CGI, but wouldn't have let 2d go completely. Or, at least, he would have hung on to the story attributes that made Disney films classics, regardless of how they are animated. Especially scary villains, and romance. (As Glen Keane is demonstrating, you can still do a great fairy tale in CGI.)

And Walt would have put Disney above ALL ELSE, even another animation studio. :roll:
Exactly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 9th, 2007, 7:11 am

But Meg, if Lassetter actually was in the same position as those guys, working for a company and making unpopular decisions that he thought were best, etc....I would have more patience and also say: "OK, let's see what he's trying to do here."

The whole thing is, however, that it's a completly different situation. Lassetter isn't just running one studio, but two, and they are in DIRECT COMPETITION with each other. And from his recent actions vis a vis layoffs, personal service contracts etc...it does seem like JL is predisposed to favor Pixar.

Walt was running Disney, and Disney only. Ditto Bill Peet. Not a comparable situation. At least in my opinion.

Remember how every review of anything Disney released in the past five years had something in it about "Disney will never keep up with those Pixar geniuses etc..." (Ditto for DW and Blue Sky releases) Believe me, John and co were reading those.

Now, with everyone doing CGI, Happy Feet winning, Cars losing, Disney actually seeming like they have cool CGI films in store like MTR, American Dog (well... :? ) and Rupunzal, you really think John isn't worried about where this leaves Pixar? If you were him, wouldn't you be worried?