Tortoise and the Hare?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 29th, 2006, 3:31 pm

<I>Everyone</I> has issues with Julia Roberts. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 20th, 2006, 6:41 pm

Darn, I WISH we knew whether they're splitting up for sure or not! :( (Aardman and DW)

with Fiennes and Bonham Carter both being easy to understand prissy-British types.
Also compared to Peter Sallis they're "stars" in that they're much more recognizable.

I wonder: Did Tortoise and the Hare only have story issues, or was it "voice actor" issues as well? :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 20th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Were any voices even cast for that one?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 20th, 2006, 9:31 pm

Yes, Michael Caine is rumored/reported to have actually recorded some lines. I believe this was well into production.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 21st, 2006, 4:16 am

That's a real shame. :(

Maybe it was meant to be however, if they divorce they can cite "irreconcilable differences." :wink:

BTW even though you don't hear much about it, Katzenberg had a lot of anxiety about Chicken Run. I read somewhere a long time ago that he said: "I aged ten years the week before Chicken Run came out." It may be hard to understand now but that film was a big risk in many ways, not to mention this was 2000, shortly after The Road to El Dorado. Things were not good for DW at all back then. And things aren't so great for them now either, at least financially, so in a way I can understand them being cautious about their relationship with Aardman.

Yes, Michael Caine is rumored/reported to have actually recorded some lines.
Was he the tortoise or the hare? :wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on November 21st, 2006, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 21st, 2006, 4:37 am

If Flushed Away is a success, it will be "because of DreamWorks help in finishing the movie". If it bombs it will be "because this was Aardman's first stab at CGI".

But it seems like a lot of people are blaming the "flop" more on the creative friction than on Aardman using CGI.

Also here's an old story about Chicken Run which is kind of interesting in light of recent events: :wink:

http://siggraphnews.digitalmedianet.com ... kenrun.htm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 21st, 2006, 5:33 pm

Here's some more interesting details on the split:

http://cganimation.blogspot.com/2006/11 ... there.html

And here's some interesting Chicken Run trivia from IMDB:
There was a major push to get the film nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. The failure to get the nomination, and the popularity of the film among Academy members led to the inclusion of Best Animated Feature for the next Academy Awards (2002), which was won by fellow Dreamworks film Shrek (2001).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 30th, 2007, 7:21 pm

I wonder: will Aardman make this story somewhere else?

Or in the reverse: Does DW have permission to take the concept and adapt it using CGI?

:?:

Quite a few (like TAG blog) have surmised that much of the reason for the split all ties in with this aborted film....:?

I wonder: as time goes on, will we get to hear more about the battles and disagreements that went on over this film (and Flushed Away as well)?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 31st, 2007, 8:58 am

Aardman apparently have control over the films they were devloping. We'll have to see though, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was now completely dead, as with John Cleese's Crood Awakening. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 2nd, 2007, 12:02 am

Hm? I don't think Gromit has a mouth, how odd Confused
We don't see it but I think he does have a mouth, otherwise how could he eat? :P

He just never talks is all. At least not "out loud." :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 2nd, 2007, 2:47 pm

So Crood Awakening *IS* dead? Just checking.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 3rd, 2007, 7:40 am

There seems to be conflicting reports. Some say Aardman are free to persue Crood Awakening, others say DWs are happy to let it die a slow death...

Guess we'll have to wait. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 4th, 2007, 3:54 am

There seems to be conflicting reports. Some say Aardman are free to persue Crood Awakening, others say DWs are happy to let it die a slow death...

Guess we'll have to wait.
Apparently, Crood Awakening is once more alive and well and in the hands of Chris Sanders! :) Yay!! :)

I wonder, with Aardman's Sony agreement, will they be doing Tortoise and the Hare again? Do they have the rights to it, or does it still belong to DreamWorks?