Favorite voice actors

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DElf4242 » July 3rd, 2006, 8:16 pm

I've found myself rather partial to Wally Shawn, even though to my knowledge he's only done two voice-acting jobs. Having seen some of his other stuff, one thing that really impresses me is how he can do such different characters, even when he uses only his own voice. Rex and Mr. Huph are so completely different, and both are quite different from Wally himself, yet he doesn't alter his voice at all for either part.

As for someone I think would make a good voice actor but hasn't yet... Gee, that's tough, seeing as I don't think there are a whole lot of movies I've seen with actors that I really liked who haven't turned out to do have done some voice-acting at some point or another. :P That and the fact that I can't think of any people who have "good" or "bad" voices, since they'd be fine as long as it was the right character. Mmm... I liked Kurt Russell in Miracle, it'd be interesting to see him do a voice-acting job (if he hasn't already). Can't think of anything else, really.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/delf4242/supahgenius.gif[/img]

My other car is a Gyoza.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » July 3rd, 2006, 8:31 pm

Hey, Delf! You probably know me as ToxicFoxx over on I-K! *hugs* Welcome to the forums! And I love your sig! ;)

About Wallace Shawn...I know for a fact that he has done other voice parts. Here are some examples. He was:

- Principal Mazur in A Goofy Movie
- Principal Crosby Strickler in Teacher's Pet
- Stewie's soon-to-be brother Bertram in Family Guy (Emission Impossible)
- Principal Fetchit in Chicken Little

This guy plays a lot of principals, doesn't he? :P He can go from having this nervous, unsure voice to being so commanding and threatening and yet sound amusing.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DElf4242 » July 3rd, 2006, 8:43 pm

Yeah, I kinda figured out who you were. :) I'd been browsing the forums for a couple hours before joining. Thanks for the compliment on my sig; I quite like your avatar. I can't draw, so I had to settle for the one Guido picture that I could find on Google. :?

Of course I find that out after we return Chicken Little to Movie Gallery. :roll: I knew I should've paid more attention during the credits. From what I can remember, now that you mention it the principal did sound like him. Even though he had such a small part, I always remember the principal because the line about Chicken's dad being the former baseball star seemed so forced. :P

So I was a bit wrong about him using the same voice for different roles, since it seems that Rex was the only role that wasn't someone in a position of authority (I believe that's one of the very few Family Guy episodes I've seen, so I know that that character was rather like Stewie), but he still doesn't change his voice any for Rex. He puts different emotions into his voice, but he doesn't change it.

I have read one of his plays and seen a movie in which he plays himself (My Dinner With André, for anyone interested), and in real life he's not so much imposing as he is serious, yet he still has the same voice, so I guess I'm still right, just not to the degree that I'd thought I was.

My other car is a Gyoza.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 4th, 2006, 4:36 am

Wallace Shawn also did the voice of Bob's boss in The Incredibles.

I'd also like to say: Billy West. He's got such a good range of voices, as completely obvious in Futurama being the voice of Fry, Zoidburg, Zapp and Professor. But ontop of that, he's very good at making you feel the emotion you should be feeling.

In the episode "Time keeps on slippin'" where the holes in time keep making time skip forward to when Lila and Fry are together and then to their eventual divorce, Fry finally learned at the end of the episode how Lila fell in love with him. Unfortunatly, that reason gets sucked into a black hole, and all Fry does is yell "No!" But just that one word is delivered in such a way that you can really feel all the pain and desperation and sadness that Fry felt at that moment.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » July 4th, 2006, 2:36 pm

Macaluso wrote:Wallace Shawn also did the voice of Bob's boss in The Incredibles.
DElf4242 wrote:Rex and Mr. Huph are so completely different, and both are quite different from Wally himself, yet he doesn't alter his voice at all for either part.
Oh yes. We've covered that. ;)

I loved him in that role from the second he stormed into Bob's cubicle. "PaaaaAAAARR!" ^__^

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DElf4242 » July 4th, 2006, 4:06 pm

"You authorized payment on the Walker policy?!"

Wait a sec, something just struck me... Might this "Walker" be the same John Walker of Dash's-principal fame? :o And if so, was it by any chance super-villain-in-disguise Bernie Kropp, out of dislike for his employer because of always siding with Dash, who broke into his house?

I must investigate further.

My other car is a Gyoza.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » July 4th, 2006, 7:25 pm

DElf4242 wrote:"You authorized payment on the Walker policy?!"

Wait a sec, something just struck me... Might this "Walker" be the same John Walker of Dash's-principal fame? :o And if so, was it by any chance super-villain-in-disguise Bernie Kropp, out of dislike for his employer because of always siding with Dash, who broke into his house?

DElf DElf DElf,

I'm gonna have to send you a copy of Glory Days of Our Lives aren't I. Remember? We covered all that! :D
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DElf4242 » July 4th, 2006, 9:30 pm

Brandon Neeld wrote:
DElf4242 wrote:"You authorized payment on the Walker policy?!"

DElf DElf DElf,

I'm gonna have to send you a copy of Glory Days of Our Lives aren't I. Remember? We covered all that! :D
No, I don't remember; that was before my time. Please do send! :D

My other car is a Gyoza.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » July 4th, 2006, 11:20 pm

And you guys complain when kids spam up the place over on I-K with large quotes. :P ;)

I think Delf is on to something big with his Walker theory. I'm willing to take your side in any arguments over that one.

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DElf4242 » July 4th, 2006, 11:44 pm

Two quotes is not "large." :roll:

Now, if you'd complained about staying on-topic...

So... who voices Principal John Walker? [/pathetic attempt at being on-topic]

My other car is a Gyoza.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » July 4th, 2006, 11:54 pm

Ok, so, forget about the quote thing. Heheh. But you know what I was referring to.

And Principal Walker was voiced by Wayne Canney.

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 5th, 2006, 4:35 pm

I liked whoever did Dash's teacher. :) "Coincidence....I think NOT!" :)

BTW I think someone (not sure who?) recentlly asked where my sig is from....sorry I couldn't find the thread :oops:....anyways, it's from The Fly (1986).

I loved him in that role from the second he stormed into Bob's cubicle. "PaaaaAAAARR!" ^__^

Yeah me too. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » July 5th, 2006, 4:54 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I liked whoever did Dash's teacher. :) "Coincidence....I think NOT!" :)
Bernie Kropp was voiced by Lou Romano a Pixar Animator. He also voices Snot Rod in Cars. They have alot of vocal talent as well as artistic tallent there. :)
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DElf4242 » July 5th, 2006, 9:58 pm

I know that Pixar will frequently use actors in more than one film, but I've noticed that the number of people who provided a voice in both Cars and A Bug's Life is surprisingly high.

Bonnie Hunt: Sally, Rosie
John Ratzenberger: Mack, P.T. Flea
Joe Ranft: Red & Peterbilt truck, Heimlich
Edie McClurg: Minny, Dr. Flora
Richard Kind: Van, Molt
Andrew Stanton: Fred, bug that tells Harry not to look at the light (:P)

And if you include Dave Foley for being Flik-car in the credits, there's seven in all. Not that it means anything, I just found it interesting...

My other car is a Gyoza.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » July 6th, 2006, 2:29 am

Interesting observation!

I had known about everyone being in both movies except for Richard Kind. I knew his voice sounded familiar in Cars, but I had no idea he was also Molt! I just recently saw A Bug's Life again just for the heck of it, and he did a great job. Everyone did. That movie is so underrated IMO.

I did some voice research of my own tonight. :)

Jonathan Harris (voice of Manny) was the voice of Geri the toy cleaner in Toy Story 2. R.I.P., Jonathan.

Hayden Panettierre (voice of Dot) was the voice of Kairi in Kingdom Hearts I & II.

David L. Lander (voice of Thumper the grasshopper) was the voice of Smart Ass the weasel in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.

Rodger Bumpass (voice of mosquito in bar) is the voice of Squidward.

I get so excited whenever I make little discoveries like this.

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]