Change in Disney's logo

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 9th, 2006, 12:45 pm

Yeah, I was going to ask where that Circle 7 thing came from, Vi? C7 had nothing to do with CL...!?!?
Actually, you mean PixarVixen right? :wink:
And folks old enough to remember the original star wars can recall the 20th century fox logo before you flew around it in glorious cg.
Hey, a lot of relatively "new" movies still have the old 20th century Fox logo...I just watched the 1986 Fly movie and it had it. Plus they only played part of the theme music, not the whole thing. "Da-da-da, da da da da da da-da-da-da da da da!" Well, something like that...

Also remember when Columbia Tri-Star (Sony) was a white unicorn galloping? Now it's just a really quick image.

Oh, BTW, I LOVE the Imagine logo. (water drop)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » May 9th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Yes. I was the one who mentioned Circle 7 doing the 3D castle. I thought that was the company that did the animation for Chicken Little. Guess I'm wrong. :oops:

So then if Walt Disney Feature Animation made the movie, what did Circle 7 do?

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 9th, 2006, 5:09 pm

what did Circle 7 do?
They were hired to make Toy Story 3 and other projects. (sequels to Pixar films when everyone thought that Pixar was leaving.) Some people still think they were only hired as a bargaining strategy with Pixar and Steve Jobs. (Because of this, some people called them "Pixarn't.)

I'm still not sure if Toy Story 3 is on or not, but I think that after the merger this year a major portion of the company was either let go or "redistributed." DreamWorks has also tried to hire a lot of the ones who left.

So far they haven't done anything that the public has seen.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 9th, 2006, 5:50 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Hey, a lot of relatively "new" movies still have the old 20th century Fox logo...I just watched the 1986 Fly movie and it had it. Plus they only played part of the theme music, not the whole thing.
The Fox logo originally only had this first part.

In 1955, Alfred Newman added the "extra bit", which people now associate as being the "whole thing". This was (and is still called) the CinemaScope Extension music, which was only added to Fox films that were shot and presented in this very widescreen process.

It kinda got lost in the 1960s and 70s until George Lucas reinstated it to cover his LucasFilm typeface on the front of Star Wars, Empire and Jedi.

Although it was used sparingly on widescreen films since then, Fox only - and rightly - used the "short" version on "flat" (ie: non-CinemaScope or Panavision widescreen) films, such as The Fly.

In recent years, Fox updated their logo with the fly around of the famous words supposedly cut out of rock and usually run the whole music now whether it's a 1.85 or 2.35 widescreen movie.

---------------------------------

Toy Story 3 is off with Circle 7. But it's still on the cards with JL in as director or exec producer once the dust has settled. Indeed, I heard one rumor saying that it would be the first "true" new-Disney/Pixar production.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » July 3rd, 2006, 6:04 am

It's been confirmed through several reviews that Dead Man's Chest will have the new Disney logo:
The Disney logo at the beginning casts a deep fog of fluffy nostalgia
The film also marks the debut of a snappy new logo for Walt Disney Pictures that gives Sleeping Beauty's Castle a glittering cityscape in which to shine.
Sounds cool... now I'm shaking with even mroe excitement for Pirates 2....

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 11th, 2006, 5:54 pm

I was waiting until I had a better version of this to post it, but since we've posted a small pic here's another:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 11th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Um....

...that's disappointing.

That's the new logo? That's not even new, that's exactly like what the Wonderful World of Disney montage is like on Sunday Nights.

What a letdown!

:(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 11th, 2006, 10:12 pm

What a surprise! Vi doesn't like it! Who'd a guessed!

That pic is just the last frame of a 15-30 second intro.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 11th, 2006, 10:33 pm

Well.... :wink:

It was just my first impression. I might like it more when I see the actual thing.

And hey, I said I really liked Superman, didn't I? :roll: :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 11th, 2006, 11:36 pm

I thought it was a letdown too. If I wanted to watch a logo like that, I'd watch Dreamworks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 12th, 2006, 9:21 am

I don't really like the image much either. I haven't seen the whole thing, but...I dunno, I just don't like it much.

Will they have a different logo for their animated films, sort of like Dreamworks?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 12th, 2006, 8:46 pm

With all the hype around it and everything, I really thought it would be more "cartoon-y" or something. To me it doesn't look much different from anything in the past. :roll:

But nothing can be as bad as that CGI Tinkerbell on WWOD.... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » July 13th, 2006, 2:32 am

Well I love it! I think it captures the magic of Disney perfectly.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 13th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Now that the pic is up, I'm going to repeat what I thought about the logo from my above post, since it touches on what a lot of you have said and wasn't really commented on:

"After reading the Hollywood Reporter article on this and hearing word of mouth, I was expecting something really cool. What I got was a DreamWorks night sky 'n' clouds beginning before it turned into what could have been the opening titles of any recent edition of The Wonderful World Of Disney. I thought we were going to get some really cool new music, albeit with a nod to When You Wish Upon A Star. We basically got a weak rendition of that song, and nothing majorly new (Joel McNeely's version for Return To NeverLand knocked socks off of this "new" one). And then that font? Okay, the "Disney signature" is still in place. But as a wishy-washy, overly CGI liquid thing that looks more 1989 "Abyss" than anything we should be getting in 2006...ugh.

Needless to say...I was disappointed with a capital D. At least the old blue/white and black/orange variants had a distinctive style. This seemed like a pretty boring throwback while offering nothing new. There was nothing here that said logo, only "cheap and tired old TV opening"..."

Well, that's what I thought. I was hoping for something more graphically stylized, but this felt very old and tired. Talk about putting the teenies off - a few people behind me groaned when that came on!

As Chernabog says..."it captures the magic of Disney perfectly"...yes, but doesn't build on a basic style that has been in use since 1962!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 13th, 2006, 2:20 pm

There was nothing here that said logo, only "cheap and tired old TV opening"..."
Yeah, why didn't they just throw in that trippy "kaleidescope" Wonderful World of Color montage? :wink:

After last week's nearly wall-to-wall coverage of Pirates of the Caribbean,
Guess what....this week he's STILL doing almost nothing but Pirates. :roll:

Talk about putting the teenies off - a few people behind me groaned when that came on!
Hmmm, maybe some of Eisner's ideas about being "hip to the kids" and modernizing the Disney brand weren't THAT bad. :roll: