Scariest movie you ever saw?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 28th, 2007, 12:44 pm

Why was that? Sorry. Couldn't help but ask.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 28th, 2007, 9:18 pm

The parts where
people were trapped in the "box" and struggling to get out, then not knowing who was who and not knowing what was going on, doubles of people, etc.....just gave me the creeps. :shock:

Still loved it though. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 21st, 2007, 12:37 am

The Freddie Krueger films are great! Although, last year I borrowed the Elm Street boxset from a friend so I could see them all and I literally had nightmares for a week. The dreams were so vivid and seemed to be happening so much that I began to wonder if maybe Freddie is actually real (I'm still wondering). For a whole week, every time I fell asleep (even afternoon naps) he came after me and almost got me before I woke up. I started saying the Dream Master chant before I went to sleep and he left me alone after that.
I've got to watch all of the Freddy movies sometime...I've only seen half of part 3, about half of part 4 (don't remember it well at all), all of part 5, and New Nightmare.

Recently I checked out clips of these films....SICK!! :shock: But great special effects, really disturbing, well, nightmare-inducing!

I don't know if these films would fly today however, too much postmodern irony with all those "Scream" and "Scary Movie" knockoffs (and knockoffs of knockoffs); some of today's kids would probably just laugh. Horror is also a lot more cerebral nowadays, (ex: The Ring, The Grudge, etc....) more about what you DON'T see.

I also really don't think that even in R-rated films today would they allow some of that gore/violence to be in it now. (And no one wants an R anymore anyway, it's all about getting that PG-13, and NO WAY would any of the Freddy films get one of those!)

Plus you know they would use CGI effects, can you imagine Freddy with CGI VFX, a computer-generated knife-glove, how awful and fake that would look? :roll:

(Also: having teenagers being maimed and killed in disgusting ways is technically considered child endangerment/exploitation now, even if the actors are over 18....trust me, the Freddy movies could NEVER be made today the way they were made in the 80's if they brought him back...which I very much doubt they will.)

I have to see the original Nightmare one of these days....doesn't Johnny Depp have a bit part in it or something? Wes Craven only did the first one, and New Nightmare. New Nightmare, BTW, is an awesome film. :)
Last edited by ShyViolet on February 21st, 2007, 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 21st, 2007, 12:47 am

Freaks (1932) - Just the subject matter alone is creepy enough really.
Yes, it's on DVD now! :)

Check out YouTube for the "Wedding Feast" scene....disturbing! :shock:

Great film however; I understand the DVD has deleted scenes, even an alternate ending! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2007, 8:02 am

The DVD is great. Freaks is a cool film.

Finally caught Saw II last week (yes, II not III) and kind of liked it. I dunno, the genre seems all the same these days. What I liked about Saw was that it wasn't teenagers in trouble, but Saw II went that route. It was a fun ride, but not as good as the first.

Also saw Dark Water last night. Spooky, but not scary, though I was surprised by the ending. Wasn't expecting that. Otherwise a pretty dull movie with not much happening. It wasn't sure what kind of film it wanted to be: a supernatural thriller (which would have worked better) or a straight shocker.

Same kind of thing, but not quite: Red Eye, which started well but degenerated as these things often do, into a simple chase movie with the all-too-predictable ending. Wes Craven directed that too, and it wasn't bad for what it was, much better than his Cursed anyway, which I really didn't get the point of. After all, if you go to a Christina Ricci werewolf movie, you wanna see Christina Ricci turn into a werewolf, right?

Werewolf?

There wolf. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2007, 2:15 am

Yeah, Cursed was pretty stupid....i still enjoyed it though....and I loved Jessie Eisenberg!! :) (her 'nerdy' brother) Plus Scott Baio's appearance as 'himself' was incredibly stupid but still funny in an "awful" way.....:P

Did you ever watch any of the Freddy films Ben? :)

I agree with you about Red Eye...started off scary, then just got predictable,
you KNEW she'd win....it would have been better if people believed HIM and not her, he could convince the flight-attendants that she's crazy or something, etc...etc....But Cillian Murphy was, as always, incredible....awesome how he plays bad guys...in interviews he's like SO shy though, you'd never believe it was him....:wink:

Also, didn't Ricci turn into a werewolf at least once? Can't remember....

Werewolf?

There wolf.

Ha ha..... :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 22nd, 2007, 2:11 pm

Nope, she didn't change in the cut I saw. And I can't take Murphy seriously as a threat. Freddy films...saw them all on original release (or at least on home video release) and wasn't that scared or impressed by them.

Yes, possibly some decent effects (I'd have to see them again) but I remember thinking the first one was boring! Like I said, that was years ago (soon after they came out) but I just couldn't get into them. If the first came up on TV again now I'd take another look.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2007, 11:47 pm

Freddy films...saw them all on original release (or at least on home video release) and wasn't that scared or impressed by them.

Yes, possibly some decent effects (I'd have to see them again) but I remember thinking the first one was boring! Like I said, that was years ago (soon after they came out) but I just couldn't get into them. If the first came up on TV again now I'd take another look.

I think no matter what the Freddy film, the effects are awesome.

I watched "Tina's uncut death" from Nightmare 1 on YouTube....very freaky, awesome effects for what was it, 1983? The shot of her struggling/floating in the air during her nightmare and then being dragged across the wall/ceiling was awesome! :)

I know Nightmare 3: The Dream Warriors, is supposed to be the best...best FX as well.

The MOST DISTURBING one I've seen was Nightmare 5: The Dream Child, REALLY sick, the film was originally rated X and they slimmed it down to an R by shortening certain sequences from minutes to seconds....and the one I originally saw as a kid was the CUT one, but I remember being VERY disturbed by it. :?

You can watch the uncut scenes on-line as well....they're from the original unrated VHS. Unfortunately you can't get these scenes on DVD: The Nightmare package because apparently the master print of Nightmare 5 was damaged in the interim and the DVDs are all the edited versions that played in theaters.....very ironic--the VHS is uncut, the DVD is cut! :P

And the VHS itself is pretty much out of print unless you actually have the one that came out in 1989 or whatever it was....:roll:
I think there probably IS an undamaged master version somewhere out there, but apparently it's also copyright issues, etc....very tangled legal stuff. :?

SPOILERS:
The reason that the scenes were so upsetting is that they involved very bloody and GRAPHIC deaths of being split open, forced to eat your own guts until you explode (in the dream, in real life the character just choked to death), being fused into a motorcycle and having the wires tear your face off, turning into a paper comic book character in your dream and then being "shredded" since you're made of paper.....(I know, what were these filmmakers smoking?)

The Story: Alice, the main girl protagonist who was in the last movie is pregnant with boyfriend's baby, then her boyfriend as well as two of her best friends are killed by Freddy in their dreams; not from her being asleep but by her unborn baby's dreams (still with me?)......Then she and her one surviving friend call back the ghost of Freddy's actual mother, a nun in a lunatic asylum who was raped by over a 100 men, essentially one of them is Freddy's dad but we never find out who. Freddy also tries to convert Alice's unborn baby to his evil ways (he's portrayed as a six-year old boy for some reason).

Eventually her unborn baby turns against him, and the ghost of Freddy's mother somehow manages to imprison Freddy's evil spirit in her "womb" (looks as weird as it sounds) and that's the end of the film....of course, *not really* :P

Whew! :roll:

I haven't seen Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare or Freddy's Nightmares: The TV Series; heard they're both pretty bad.

But Wes C raven's New Nightmare is EXCELLENT--smart, well written, chilling--basically it's about, well, Wes Craven and New Line Cinema (everyone plays themselves, including Heather Langencamp) making a new Freddy movie: essentially, there is a "real" Freddy spirit out there who's much scarier and meaner than the Freddy we saw in the films, who hasn't shown himself because he's "living" through the Nightmare films; when they stop making the Nightmare films, however, the Freddy demon got p****d off and basically is using the New Nightmare script (which Wes Craven is in the process of writing) as a portal to the "real world", where he will become all powerful! :P

It sounds trippy but it's actually a very good film, very smart and well done. And it's WEIRD to see Robert Englund play both Freddy and himself in the same movie! :)
And I can't take Murphy seriously as a threat.

Yeah but didn't you also say Scarecrow was one of the few good things in Batman Begins? :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 25th, 2007, 2:09 pm

I always thought the "wall crawl" scene in Nightmare wasn't as good as some of the stuff in Poltergeist.

New Nightmare...again, I couldn't get into it. I thought it wasn't as clever as it thought it was. A lot of back patting, and Englund as "himself" didn't come off well.

Yep, SCARECROW was one of the best things about Begins, and Murphy just happened to play that part. But I was talking more of the "fear gas" concept behind the character and the visualisations once the CGI took over.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 25th, 2007, 5:26 pm

New Nightmare...again, I couldn't get into it. I thought it wasn't as clever as it thought it was. A lot of back patting, and Englund as "himself" didn't come off well.
Englund was so-so....didn't do such a good job of playing himself or injecting any hidden menace/humor.....I still liked seeing him though. :wink:

I agree that
the end of New Nightmare was a HUGE letdown compared to what you would expect....VFX very sub-par, nothing scary in the least (except for that whole thing with the kid running across the highway and being back in the Nightmare movie world) Very stupid end to a, even with stupid entries, trailblazing horror series.

I mean we're told through the whole film that this is some otherworldly, evil menace that's nothing like the actual Freddy we saw in the films....(especially from those creepy paintings) and in the end of the film we get...Freddy??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sounds to me like they couldn't think of what ELSE to show!! :roll: :P
Yep, SCARECROW was one of the best things about Begins, and Murphy just happened to play that part. But I was talking more of the "fear gas" concept behind the character and the visualisations once the CGI took over.
Oh, O.K. Yeah, those were some good VFX.

I still thought Murphy did a great job though! :) One of my favorite actors. :wink: I think the story didn't serve him well at all, he's basically a cipher in the film.

And whoever played Boss Falcone was GRADE-A-TERRIBLE...seemed more like he was played for laughs than anything else to me....:roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 4th, 2007, 4:26 am

Well I finally saw all of the Excorcist....:)

Didn't scare me a whole lot--not the end anyway. The scariest parts are in the beginning when she's first becoming posessed. Her body getting tossed up and down, etc....

And yes, I've seen all (but one) sequels.

Part 2 - horrible! Just long and boring. The plot was soooo lame. could they say "ka-zu-zu" anymore times?

Part 3 - same with two. Very meh. I didn't like it. Should it have still have been called, Excorcist?

Theatrical prequel - it was ok. Kind of a let down, and somewhat confusing. But I enjoyed the ending confrontation. Though, it was short. not to mention, a little sad.

Dvd prequel - haven't seen, but I want to!
Hey, Dan, did you by any chance watch "The Excorcism of Emily Rose"?
Is it any good? Also, is there any connection to the Excorcist films?

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » July 29th, 2007, 3:14 pm

In terms of "bad movie" scary, I'd say well one of them would be Barney's Great Adventure but in terms of "good movie" scary I'd say well films like Saw, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hills Have Eyes (remake), etc. but actually when it comes to Horror films I don't scare easily but I love Horror films, I'm a huge fan of it (Along with Japanese Anime, they're two of my most favorite genres).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 29th, 2007, 4:49 pm

I completly agree with you on The Hills Have Eyes. I saw it a few months ago, and was pleasently surprised!
ShyViolet wrote:Hey, Dan, did you by any chance watch "The Excorcism of Emily Rose"?
Is it any good? Also, is there any connection to the Excorcist films?
Sorry for never acknowledging your question. I must have never seen it! :P

Anyway, no, I have not seen it. And nope, its based on a true story.

I can however, tell you that my mom LOVES scary movies and really hated this. I forget why, but I think she said the trailers were very misleading. Hope that helps! :)
Last edited by Daniel on July 29th, 2007, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » July 29th, 2007, 4:58 pm

Daniel wrote:I completly agree with you on The Hills Have Eyes. I saw it a few months ago, and was pleasently surprised!
You know surprisingly it's a very good remake, I'm still impressed with what Alexandre Aja did with The Hills Have Eyes although I wish the sequel did the same.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 29th, 2007, 5:10 pm

Ah, I've never seen the original. Been meaning to for awhile.

And yeah, I heard the sequel is very bad. Such a shame, since the original was so good and left a nice subtle cliffhanger.