This "Lasseter is the new Walt" thing

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

This "Lasseter is the new Walt" thing

Post by Ben » July 27th, 2006, 11:44 am

Everywhere one reads about John Lasseter, we get the same old accolades, the same old pat on the back and the same old "well, he's the new Walt Disney" talk.

Now, I haven't got a bad word to say against John, but I was just thinking about Cars, funnily enough in my car while the soundtrack played, and a thought struck me.

Where is Lasseter's Snow White? Where's his Fantasia, his Bambi? Where is his diversification? The True Life Adventures, the groundbreaking, harder live-action films?

Where is his DisneyLand?

Of course, I don't mean this literally, or indeed in a mean spirit, but it did get me to thinking..."how has he gotten this reputation based on basically making his version of Dumbo everytime"?

Nemo and Incredibles don't count - they weren't his, though they all have this bright and breezy outlook tinged with a bit of danger and/or sadness, but nothing that won't work out in the end.

Of course, we still have his Imagineering projects to look forward to. Hopefully he'll show some creative exapansion with those.

A great director of animation he may be, and a successful one certainly, but, for me, he's got a long, long way to go before he's anywhere near Walt's mark.

He's just been lucky in that he left the Studio at the right time, found his vocation and was in the right place to spearhead a new technology with the right team.

If Bluth had succeeded with better quality and stories in the 1980s, we'd be calling him the new Walt Disney also.

But there was and will only ever be one Walt and whereas Lasseter still has a way to prove that he can break out of the mawkish sentiment his films often feature (however affecting, honest and genuine it can be), especially in letting Walt's own empire get on with turning out their own kind of films in the way they have done since Walt's time.

Just a few thoughts, none maliciously intended as I think the guy is great too, but puzzling in the way his vision has been Walt-styled. It's over exaggerated.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » July 27th, 2006, 2:30 pm

If his best accomplishment so far has been "Cars" then I worry. But overall I like the direction hes taking Disney, though to say he is the next Walt is, I agree, an over exaggeration. It seems though that hes trying to bring back the quality Walt was known for, and I suppose with the rut Disney has been in, everyone is willing to believe that hes better than he might be.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » July 28th, 2006, 2:21 am

I must agree with you. John Lasseter is no Walt Disney. Walt Disney isn't just a name of a person anymore its an entire legacy and series of great things that have happened.

John is on the right way to becoming similar to Walt but he has a long way to go.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » July 28th, 2006, 5:27 am

Bear in mind that a lot of these people who are calling him "the new Walt Disney" may not be die-hard Disney/animation lovers like us. They'll probably think that since Pixar has made some wonderful animated films and Walt made some wonderful animated films, Lasseter is the reincarnation of Walt.

I can understand where you are coming from, Ben. It is true that his films at Pixar, whilst still amazing and up there with Snow White, Pinocchio etc, aren't as diverse as Walt's films. I think that this might have something to do with the relative infancy of the medium and the fact that for quite long, certain things couldn't be done in 3D animation as well as in hand drawn animation (eg humans to sustain a plot). However, since he's popping into Disney and helping to navigate things like the Disney theme parks, Rapunzel and Meet the Robinsons in the right way, I think that he is actually becoming more a modern Walt than ever
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 28th, 2006, 10:19 pm

I think there are very good emotional moments in Lassetter (and Pixar's) films, but that they need different kinds of stories from what they've done.
And better villains. :)

Lassetter is quite talented (and visible) so maybe that's what made people label him as "The new Walt". He and Pixar have great potential but they need to take more risks.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » July 29th, 2006, 2:54 am

I agree. As much as I admire John Lasseter and what he's accomplished, it seems a bit early to be throwing phrases like "the new Walt" around. He's got a great start, but let's not forget the awesomeness and duration of Walt's legacy.

For that matter, let's not forget all the other people at Pixar who make things work. It's not a one-man show.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 29th, 2006, 10:45 pm

This is a bit off-topic but pertains to the main subject:

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=011572

I hope he's all right...Pixar and Disney both need him.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 30th, 2006, 9:06 am

I noticed his neck had expanded a few inches in the Cars promotional stuff I've been seeing. With his cropped hair, he actually looked like a bit of a thug!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » July 31st, 2006, 1:59 am

I think the original post said it perfectly. There is nothing bad to say about John and I have never even heard him claiming himself as a new Walt. The problem is with other people claiming it for him. Lasseter is a creative genius but his overall output is not nearly as expansive as Walt's. It's also a Pixar issue that I tried explaining in another thread. Maybe every single Pixar film is better than The Aristocats but none of them rise to the Snow White/Bambi/Fantasia/Aladdin/Beauty and the Beast/Cinderella/Lion King level of classic quality. Part of the problem here may also be people misunderstanding Walt himself and that is due in part to the fact that there is so much about Walt and what he accomplished to easily take in. You can simplify things and say, "Hey, Walt made some great animated movies," and, "Hey, John Lasseter makes great animated movies," and you would be absolutely right on both counts and therefore think John is the new Walt and without demeaning John in any way you would be overlooking the multitude of Walt's other accomplishments. John doesn't claim for himself to be the new Walt but I think he tries his best and succeeds at echoing and emulating one well-known aspect of Walt.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 31st, 2006, 9:26 am

Head. Nail. Hit. Spot on.

But don't go knocking The AristoCats! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 31st, 2006, 10:24 am

As someone who actually has a bit of a personal stake in this debate, here's my $0.02.

First of all Lasseter's Snow White is Toy Story. There is such a connection between these two films that on this point alone you could almost understand the Walt comparison. Disney and Lasseter took their respective cutting edge animation techniques and perfected them in short form before tackling a full blown first feature film. Both films were huge and showed audiences something they'd never experienced before. Both men won special Oscars in their individual names for their innovative and pioneering first of its kind use of animation. Both films were placed on the National Film Registry in their first year of eligibility. etc...

But what I really think drives the "Lasseter is the new Disney" is their similar public personalities. No person since Walt has been the public face of animation in the way Lasseter is. Both are very telegenic and have a way of connecting with audiences. Both come across as totally committed to the field of animation, not just as their latest project or latest way to make a buck, but as a legitimate art form. No offense, but when, for example, I see Bluth or even Katzenberg (no animator I know) talk about their latest film it is always as a director or producer hyping their latest project. When Lasseter talks about his work it is almost as if he's talking about his child the way he gets in to it. Walt was very much the same way.

To be fair Disney was much more than just animation, and in that respect the analogy breaks down. But in the animation sense I think the Disney/Lasseter comparison is more than apt and very fitting.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » July 31st, 2006, 11:39 am

Yes, they have done similar things in the realm of animation and, no, I'm not making a final evaluation of The Aristocats.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 31st, 2006, 12:03 pm

I agree with most of what's been said here (although I don't think TS is equal to Snow White) and I definetely think Lassetter deserves MUCH praise for taking the computer-animated medium and making it into an actual respected genre. And technically, he was also doing that with the Pixar shorts. Like Walt, he blazed new trails.

But I also want to point out that just because he carries himself differently than people like Katzenberg or Bluth doesn't mean that those people care any less about their films or have any less passion for what they do.

Yes, John L is like a big, enthusiastic kid in a toy store and that makes him telegenic and appealing, but that's just part of who he is. Bluth and Katzenberg might see more "restrained" in certain ways, but that's part of who they are. Both Don and Jeffrey took big risks and set out on their own to form their own studios....(kinda like Walt :) )which required much time, money and effort....I don't think they'd do that if they didn't have a whole lot of "passion."

No offense, but when, for example, I see Bluth or even Katzenberg (no animator I know) talk about their latest film it is always as a director or producer hyping their latest project. When Lasseter talks about his work it is almost as if he's talking about his child the way he gets in to it.

Regardless of the way it's done, every producer/director in Hollywood has to hype their own project. It comes with the territory. Yes, Lasseter does it in an appealing and personable way, but he's bascially doing the exact same thing any producter/director/executive would do. It's fun to listen to him talking about Cars....but yeah, he was basically hyping the thing...(sort of the way Walt would present the Sunday Night movies).

:wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on July 31st, 2006, 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 31st, 2006, 12:09 pm

But the fact that Katzenberg and Bluth are more "restrained" is exactly my point. Note that I specifically said "what drives the 'Lasseter is the new Disney' is their similar public personalities".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 31st, 2006, 12:14 pm

I do agree with you there. The fact that he's so "animated" (ha!) and has been on ABC and on DVDs, etc. has a lot to do with how he's perceived by the public and why he's so popular.

Also, it's kind of hard to be regarded as the new Disney, unless you like, WORK for the Disney company! :P Lassetter also has all the media power and respected name of the Walt Disney studios behind his efforts, so it's a lot easier for him to reach the public eye.

The groovy Hawaiian shirts probably don't hurt, either....:wink:

(Walt seemed a bit "restrained" to me as well on those old Disney programs, but with very genial, charismatic presence as well....I do think Lassetter is a lot more boyish than he was, however. And Lassetter seems less like a dad or an uncle and more like a big brother.)
Last edited by ShyViolet on July 31st, 2006, 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.