First computer ever?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 28th, 2006, 10:37 am

I was just looking at that Commodore commercial with Burgess Meredith again and thinking: wow, where's Commodore now? And well, of course we all know what happened to Apple, don't we? :P

Ah, the irony..... :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 5th, 2007, 5:58 pm

Worst. Video. Game. Ever. Apparently, that's what this ET Atari game was considered to be, according to Wik.... :roll:

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 5th, 2007, 6:12 pm

My first computer? Hmm... Well, my first computer was a laptop (Intel, I believe), but it only lasted five years or more before it finally blew out on me. I still have it in my room.... :P

I'm hoping to get an Apple laptop computer next, as those are much more reliable and up-to-date.

ShyViolet - Haha! That was a game? Hilarious... :lol:
"Welcome to hell." - Skinner

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 5th, 2007, 6:17 pm

I'm hoping to get an Apple laptop computer next, as those are much more reliable and up-to-date.
Yeah, I think I'd rather have one of those too. (someday, anyway) They seem easier to operate and to transport. Plus I love using itunes and the ipod! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 5th, 2007, 6:20 pm

Yeah, I think I'd rather have one of those too. (someday, anyway) They seem easier to operate and to transport. Plus I love using itunes and the ipod! :)

Also the PC (I have an HP actually) always freezes up and might gets infected with spyware and G-d knows what else. I'd love to be able to work on photos, videos, that kind of stuff. :) It just seems like it would be easier with a Mac. As for gaming, well, I"ve got my DS for that...:wink:

Plus if I'd had a Mac my laptop wouldn't have fallen off my desk when I tripped over the wire! :x They have a magnetic socket instead of a cheap plastic one...

I love their commercials! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 5th, 2007, 6:57 pm

Ditto -- the iPods are awesome! One of these days......I'll get one. :P

Ha! Oh man, I feel sorry for you. You tripped over your laptop's wire? Yeesh -- I've come close to doing that many times. Stinkin' wire.... (snigger)

When I do get an Apple laptop, I'd also like to purchase Photoshop to go with it, unless the program is already included in with the computer (which would be an awesome bonus).

That commercial was funny, by the way. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 6th, 2007, 1:54 am

When I do get an Apple laptop, I'd also like to purchase Photoshop to go with it, unless the program is already included in with the computer (which would be an awesome bonus).
Yeah, I would love this too....*sighs* :wink:

I also love those Apple/PC commercials, I think the Mac guy is cute! :P

BTW, here's a really cool website I found about the first computers ever made for personal use. You can still buy them on e-bay, in almost new condition!

http://oldcomputers.net/index.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 6th, 2007, 12:00 pm

ShyViolet - Too bad Photoshop is so expensive, eh? We should split our money and buy one each.... (snigger)

Haha -- you have the hots for the Mac guy? That's funny... :lol:

Great balls of cheese! That one computer on the right side looks like a microwave oven. Well...actually, it's kind of cool. I wonder if they still run after all these years? :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2007, 1:55 pm

I have that ET game. It sucks big time, and the controls never worked. Literally, what you saw in that commercial is only what you could pretty much do in the game. Pooh!

Fun seeing how they shot that on the same set as the movie though! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 6th, 2007, 8:26 pm

Ben - What, wander around? That's all you can do in the game is wander around? What a load of... Well, I won't say it for security reasons. ;) (snigger)

And yeah, that was kind of cool how they shot that scene in the exact same location/set. The boy isn't any Elliot, though. Heheh.

I've gotta get this game for laughs.... :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 6th, 2007, 8:37 pm

Mitch: yeah, we should both get Photoshop together! :p Two minds are a terrible thing to waste. :wink:
Fun seeing how they shot that on the same set as the movie though!
Oh, cool. I saw that and it looked so much like the film I thought that they just used a clip or something. :roll: THAT would have been so cheesy.

I'm not surprised about the game, I've had lots of lousy games, maybe not that bad, but some of those old games were just torture to play! :?
Other than waiting for them to load up (in a computer) for about forty minutes, we had a very old joystick that worked sooo awkwardly. Although it was a C-128 it was pretty outdated even then, the disks were huge floppies instead of the more modern "diskettes" that you see today.
:?

Nintendo Entertainment System was a thousand times better, but I could only play my friend's. :( (Mario Bros and Duck Hunt)

And after a burgler robbed their house, he stole their Nintendo too! :roll:
I wonder if they still run after all these years?
Yeah, the ones on Ebay supposadly still work like new! :)

Here's some background info on the ET game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._%28game%29

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » January 7th, 2007, 12:30 am

We have an old computer in our basement. It's not TOO old (older than me... maybe early to mid-'80s) and that thing had fun games. My favorite was Sopwith.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 7th, 2007, 9:47 am

All my Atari games still work. I break it out every now and then. About as sophisticated as games ever got for me, I'm afraid! :(

Yes, wander around with ET. That was <I>it</I>! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 7th, 2007, 5:00 pm

All my Atari games still work. I break it out every now and then.
Cool.... :) I still think they'd be fun to play....I had Ms. Pac-Man, Frogger, Q-Bert and Dig-Dug on my cell for a while. I loved Q-Bert the best.

Sometimes I think games are more fun when they're simple, not that I have anything against gorgeous graphics like PSP....but it's nice to see these older games, seem so innocent compared to now. :roll:

BTW here's another old commercial on YouTube--apparently Mario was originally an Atari creation in a game just called "Mario Brothers" much more primative than the Nintendo version, all you could do was climb to higher levels on one screen and duck inside pipes.

It's kind of loud, not so great quality but funny anyway. :P
Last edited by ShyViolet on January 7th, 2007, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 7th, 2007, 5:04 pm

Plus this is my favorite Mac Ad:

:)