WDFA-Florida

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

WDFA-Florida

Post by ShyViolet » August 4th, 2006, 3:00 am

Has their been any news or rumors about bringing back this studio, especially since 2d seems to be making a comeback?

I wonder if they'll resurrect "My Peoples". :wink:

I've never actually visited Disney World (only Epcot) but it would be so cool to go there and be able to see animators at work. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » August 4th, 2006, 3:19 am

Wouldn't be too surprised if it does come back.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 4th, 2006, 9:45 am

I'd love My Peoples to get back on track. That did seem like a very unique step outisde the usual-thinking box.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 4th, 2006, 10:06 am

I feel a bit out-of-the-loop, but what's "My Peoples"? :oops:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 4th, 2006, 10:09 am

Meg wrote:I feel a bit out-of-the-loop, but what's "My Peoples"? :oops:
Maybe you know it better under one of its 13 other titles. ;)

Angel and Her No Good Sister
A Few Good Ghosts
Once In a Blue Moon
etc....

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » August 4th, 2006, 10:45 am

If one of those titles rings a bell, but you're still not sure about the project, perhaps this article will answer some of your questions, Meg.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 4th, 2006, 11:19 am

Thank you. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 4th, 2006, 7:33 pm

I'd love My Peoples to get back on track.

I would too but (and I could be wrong) it seems to me that Lassetter and Co. don't really care for unconventional stuff like this (witness Gnomeo and Julet). "Hicks", ghosts, bluegrass songs, etc...very "outside the box" all right.

Maybe they'll give it a chance anyway. :wink:

After all, they're willing to bring back the musical.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 4th, 2006, 8:38 pm

It's also kind of weird how that JHM article mentions Eisner, Stainton and Pam Coats...and now they're all gone. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 4th, 2006, 8:54 pm

I visited the walk-through exhibit at the Disney/M-G-M Studios park last Christmas .. the windows which used to look out upon the animation floor are now simply covered-over with brown paper. :(

Quite a change from my last visit, when they were in full production on POCAHONTAS.

Fun fact: at that time (early-1990's), the Disney studio was still more-or-less 'mum' on the fact that Ink & Paint had been converted to a digital process. The window which looked in on the "Ink & Paint department" revealed artists hard at work with brushes painting on clear cels. But if you looked real hard at what they were painting, you'd see Goofy or Cinderella, or anything but what was currently in-production -- these were the "limited edition" sericels which would end up in Disney Stores across the country. The 'real' WDFA Ink & Paint artists, working at their computer terminals, were well out-of-sight from the walk-through tours. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » August 5th, 2006, 1:09 pm

I really hope that the animation studio in Florida reopens and re-recruits those who were made redundant, as they didn't deserve to lose their job. Plus, it's also pretty much dummed down the wholeI've heard both on the internet and from people that I personally know who recently visited the attraction and said that it's pointless and when looked in context, depressing. I remember going to Walt Disney World in 1997 and took the original Animation Tour in Disney-MGM Studios, where they were making Mulan, and one of the animators personally drew Chi Fu (the guy with the blue hat) for us. I also saw preliminary artwork for Fantasia 2000 and A Bug's Life. I personally love Mulan, but because I saw a bit of the making of it, it holds a very special place in my heart. And I really want people to feel like they're observing film history.

Oh, and one more thing; is Disney-MGM Studios still used to produce films/TV shows of sorts. I know that in addition to Disney animated movies, they shot a few Disney TV series like Adventures in Wonderland at various points in time, but is it still a working film/TV production studio? I know at the Walt Disney Studios theme park in Disneyland Resort Paris (a very good yet easily lesser equivalent to the Florida movie park), the French Disney Channel HQ is there, making the park a production facility, but is the Florida park still regularly both a film studio and a theme park?
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 5th, 2006, 2:12 pm

I remember going to Walt Disney World in 1997 and took the original Animation Tour in Disney-MGM Studios, where they were making Mulan, and one of the animators personally drew Chi Fu (the guy with the blue hat) for us.
I remember that too! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » August 5th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Meg wrote:I remember that too! :D
Cool! When exactly did you go on the trip? I'm just asking out of sheer curiosity. We went in the last week of October (in England, schools have a week long break around this point).

I also remember watching the Hercules parade at Disney-MGM and having to hold up a little disc with a letter from the word "Hercules" on it (there were several other kids with discs also spelling the word). I remember this kid asking me over and over again if the letter he was holding was a C or a U. I don't remember much else in the parade, but from looking at friends' photos and watching a video of it they have there on You Tube, the current limo parade looks waaaaaaaaaaay better.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 5th, 2006, 6:33 pm

Hmm...I'm not really sure. I think I was six at the time though...I'll get back to you on that. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 7th, 2006, 6:42 pm

I remember going to Walt Disney World in 1997 and took the original Animation Tour in Disney-MGM Studios, where they were making Mulan, and one of the animators personally drew Chi Fu (the guy with the blue hat) for us.
That's REALLY cool.

I would love it if they invited the animators back and you could still take tours like this. :)