New cover for DisneyWar!

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

New cover for DisneyWar!

Post by ShyViolet » September 23rd, 2006, 2:48 am

This is very dumb news, but the DisneyWar book has a new and more interesting cover (probably because the old one was so similar to the new Disney logo) It's cute and makes the book look much better than it actually is. :roll:

Last edited by ShyViolet on November 8th, 2006, 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 23rd, 2006, 12:44 pm

Heh, that's clever.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 23rd, 2006, 3:14 pm

I'm guessing that's for the paperback?

I suppose they have to play up the "crisis" nature of the book now that everything is rosy at the House Of Mouse thesedays. The old cover may have looked too wholesome now!

I liked the book, as a collection of rumors and stories.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 24th, 2006, 8:53 pm

The old cover may have looked too wholesome now!
Yes, plus it REALLY DOES resemble the new Disney logo. :roll:

I'm guessing that's for the paperback?
Yeah, the paperback itself came out about a year ago I think. It's like $7.50 now, down from 29.99.

I liked the book, as a collection of rumors and stories
It's entertaining enough, but like most media books, horribly written. No insight or deeper meaning, nothing we haven't heard before. Rumors and stories? Isn't that what the Internet is for? :wink: Aren't books supposed to be "more" than that?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 25th, 2006, 8:06 am

ShyViolet wrote:
Yes, plus it REALLY DOES resemble the new Disney logo. :roll:
Another reason the new logo isn't anything new.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 3rd, 2006, 1:03 pm

Another reason the new logo isn't anything new.

Yeah, good point.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 8th, 2006, 3:56 am

This is a short comment about the book from Amazon.com

IMO it provides an interesting insight into James Stewart as a writer....it supports what I think of him. :roll:

I think a lot of what was in that book was true, but it was written in such an obviously biased and intelligence-insulting way that I thought the author should be called on it.

Reticent Rave, March 29, 2005
Reviewer: Craig L. Howe "www.craighowe.com - Home of the Pointed Pundit" (Darien, CT United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)
Under normal circumstances I would unabashedly rave about DisneyWar. Drawing on access to Michael Eisner and Roy Disney, the author offers a rare look inside the normally secretive world of the corporate boardroom.

It is an engrossing tale of one of the world's most powerful media and entertainment companies and those who own it.

But alas, I worked at Drexel Burnham Lambert during the period the author wrote about in one of his previous ventures. In that book, Den of Thieves, it was obvious that Stewart had no access to the main character and the result was an unbalanced story. Though successful at the book stores, it did one of our country's most ingenious financial minds a disservice. The Drexel Burnham that emerged from Stewart's agenda-driven portrait was not the Drexel Burnham I knew and experienced daily for almost six years.

DisneyWar is the story of a corporate tragedy. It contains unsuspected twists, larger-than-life characters and a predictable, yet exciting, climax. Well-written, it often reads like a page-turning novel.

Yet, I am left wondering. What did the author omit? What important character denied him access? It is too bad. DisneyWar is a great story. Too bad I cannot trust the author to tell in a fair, balanced and accurate manner.

Although I don't agree at all that the book was "well written" and reads "like a page turning novel" (AS IF!) I thought the comment about Den of Thieves was thought-provoking....and something to consider. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 8th, 2006, 6:26 am

To tell the turth...I'm not bothered. I'm intelligent enough to fill in the gaps, make up my own mind and take the book for what it was.

An interesting read that exposed nothing that hard-core fans didn't already know and wasn't actually in the least explosive. But, as I said at the time, it captured the mood and bundled together a lot of heresay (both rumors and fact) and put it all in one, easy to digest place.

I've read the book, saw what it had to say, and moved on. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 8th, 2006, 6:27 am

Yeah....I see your point. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 24th, 2007, 11:34 pm

Other than the new Walt biography, does anyone know of any interesting Disney-related books coming out any time soon? (Disney, not animation in general) :wink: