"Disney" + "scary" =

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 14th, 2006, 5:51 am

perhaps their arch nemesis, able to draw on all the other spooks for support...?
Actually, that was Samhain, the other Halloween pumpkin dude NOT affiliated with Tim Burton :wink:....he showed up quite a few times and always had an army of ghosts supporting him.

Also: you might find this interesting Ben:

http://www.ecto-web.org/~spookcentral/gb1_script.htm
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » November 14th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Here's something which is kinda creepy yet also cool. It's an Italian Disney Video intro from the 1980s that appeared on a Wuzzles tape. It doesn't appear in the YouTube clip in question until around the 1:30 mark, but it's kinda strange. It has a really eery 80s electronic rendition of "Casey Jr" and features clips from some of Disney's darker early 80s films (such as The Black Cauldron, Return to Oz, Condorman) as well, which adds to the spooky atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxCDvWhUc7w&NR.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 15th, 2006, 10:52 pm

Oh wow, Return to Oz. Haven't seen tha movie in years. I do remember that I went to see it at Radio City Music Hall with my parents right after we came to America. There was a great stage show in the begining with Disney costumed characters and the evil witch from Snow White, or maybe Sleeping Beauty. That was fun. But when the movie started the opening terrified me so much (Dorothy gets sent a way to a mental institution for shock therapy) that my parents had to take me out. :P

This was summer 1985, BTW. Was this movie greenlit before or after the Eisner administration arrived?

BTW I think Dorothy was played by a really young Fairuzia (I think that's her name) Balk from The Craft and The Waterboy! :)

And...you live and learn...I never knew Music was replaced on TRG. Smile
What's really funny is that when they re-ran the first season on ABC back then, they actually DUBBED Coulier's voice over Lorenzo Music's voice, just so kids wouldn't get confused I guess! AHHHH! It made me soooo mad.

But years later when they re-ran TRG on Fox Family, they had the one's with Music's voice. Thank G-d.
Last edited by ShyViolet on November 17th, 2006, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 16th, 2006, 7:05 am

Return To Oz was well into being finished when Eisner and co stepped in. They actually wanted to shut it down, but non other than George Lucas, who was an unofficial producer, made some moves and kept it going.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » November 16th, 2006, 8:54 am

ShyViolet> I happen to really love Return to Oz. It's a shame that I wasn't born when it first came out theatrically, as it would be awesome to see all big.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 17th, 2006, 2:27 am

Nowadays if I see clips it looks kind of fun, but at the time the whole shock therapy thing, then the scary creatures and the talking pumpkinhead terrified me. I think they should have rated it at least PG or PG-13 based on the shock therapy thing alone.

But Faruzia looks so cute, maybe I'll give it a shot...

:wink:

EDIT: Also, it was Radio City Music Hall that I saw the film at. They had the Rockettes before and everything. I loved the show with Donald, Mickey and Goofy. But I was 7 and had seen very few films in the theater at that time, so the film was scary to me. :wink: :roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on November 17th, 2006, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 17th, 2006, 2:32 am

I saw the thing about animation inciting children in certain countries on the front page. (which was researched by someone in Singapore) It reminded me of this: cartoons for Palestinian children also inciting them to violence, telling them to throw stones and sacrifice themselves.

It's quite disturbing:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 21st, 2006, 6:32 am

Is he still around? If he is, maybe they should've gottan him to voice Garfield instead of Bill Murray Mad
This is quite sad but he actually died of bone cancer in 2001. :cry: That's why they had to get Bill Murray to do Garfiled's voice.

He was 65.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 21st, 2006, 5:19 pm

Thanks Vi :), but Ben already answered that question. No biggie but thanks anyway ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 5th, 2006, 11:43 pm

Hey Ben: This was on Cartoon Brew, you might appreciate it especially:

It's "Mary Poppins" recut as a horror film! :)

And it fits right into the title of the thread. :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 6th, 2006, 12:33 am

I saw that on Cartoon Brew too. Scary Mary is pretty funny. It reminds me of the fake trailer someone created for The Shining, which makes the film look like a comedy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 6th, 2006, 2:00 am

That....is.....brilliant!!!!!! :D

The music, everything. And especially with the "writing" motif that is so frequently the suject of comedy/dramas nowadays...and Jack Nicholson, who was in many "funny-dramas" like As Good as It Gets, etc...

Thanks Mickey. :wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on December 6th, 2006, 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 6th, 2006, 2:02 am

I also put this on the Back to the Future thread:

The Ring recut as a tearjerker:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 6th, 2006, 7:27 am

"Hide Your Children"...

That was <I>brilliant</I>!

The Shining one I've seen before too; it starts off well, but I think it gets too "serious" towards the end. Plus, as a testement to Nicholson in that film, and despite the music, his underlying sense of menace just keep pushing through...it doesn't <I>quite</I> work, but is fun.

Scary Titanic was a favorite of mine, and then they did, and did you see, the "Titanic 2" trailer where they mixed up a load of DiCaprio movies and made it look like they found Jack's body frozen in ice? Spectacular! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 6th, 2006, 5:14 pm

The Shining one I've seen before too; it starts off well, but I think it gets too "serious" towards the end. Plus, as a testement to Nicholson in that film, and despite the music, his underlying sense of menace just keep pushing through...it doesn't quite work, but is fun.
Yeah, I agree it's better in the first half, when it's more of a "kooky comedy" it kind of reminded me of Spanglish for some reason, or Terms of Endearment--some James. L Brooks film anyway.

And yeah, the second half seemed kind of choppy, and that shot of Nicholson kissing the dead lady.....ewwwwww....almost ruins it! :?
Titanic 2" trailer where they mixed up a load of DiCaprio movies and made it look like they found Jack's body frozen in ice? Spectacular!
Yeah that was AWESOME! It seemed totally real, i almost wished they WERE making it. :wink:

(the ONLY thing in that one that stood out to me was the shot of Austin Powers being thawed out in Powers 1--"warm liquid goo phase"! :wink:)
But the rest was brilliant. It's amazing how, with so little to work with, people can make these thing seem totally convincing.

Titanic 2 kind of reminded me of Forever Young (where Mel Gibson is frozen and wakes up 50 years later) and Somewhere In Time with a young Christopher Reeve....which is kind of a time loop film....doesn't all add up, but I like it.