"Disney" + "scary" =

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

"Disney" + "scary" =

Post by Josh » September 26th, 2006, 7:24 pm

Just out of curiosity, I did a YouTube search using the words "Disney" and "scary" together. The first video in the results was a 1971 Walt Disney World commercial. Interestingly, the "All Comments" section [mild language warning] for the vid reveals that numerous people find this commercial creepy. What do you think?

Last edited by Josh on October 2nd, 2006, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » September 27th, 2006, 2:36 am

Well i do find it creepy. But no reason for concern. Just creepy. A little outdated.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2006, 5:58 am

That sure is creepy!

"Can you fly...Fly...FLY...FLY...FLY...??" ;)

Also, funny at just how long commercials were back then - that's practically a mini-short!

But, having Orson Welles narrating is just the icing on a very strange cake.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ribbedebie » September 28th, 2006, 1:00 pm

is it me, or i don't think it is scary?
or i am just plain weird :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 28th, 2006, 2:20 pm

It's not really scary...just creepy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 28th, 2006, 10:53 pm

That was pretty creepy, but kinda cool too. Still, if I were young it probably would have scared me--especially those Disney characters in the woods! (the woods reminded me of the prolouge to Tales from the Darkside. And that little girl looks like the one from Poulterguist!)
When I was like five I saw a costumed Donald Duck character on T.V. and THAT terrified me. (have no idea why)

I can defintely see why the Walt Disney company needed LOTS of help in promoting their parks by the time Eisner and Wells got there! :roll:

Up until 1984 the Walt Disney Co. spent much,much less on promotion and advertising for their parks (and everything else, come to think of it) than you'd think. They just didn't know a whole lot about modern marketing, or maybe they considered it too "vulgar" for the Disney company.

Supposadly Eisner (or his team anyway) helped a conceive an extremely effective commerical that had a little boy in tears because his parents are career-obsessed yuppies who never pay any attention to him....then they decide to take him to Disneyland and all is well. :)

Here's one with the Cosbys! Well, all except Bill for some reason... :roll:

Last edited by ShyViolet on September 30th, 2006, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 29th, 2006, 8:16 am

You spend all your spare time on You Tube, um, do ya Vi? ;)

(Bill probably wanted more money) :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » September 29th, 2006, 11:53 am

I'd seen that advert before, and it was a bit eerie, yet also interesting to look at what the walk-around characters at Walt Disney World looked like then; the Mad Hatter isn't a face character (a character who doesn't wear a mask like Mary Poppins, Bert or Cinderella) and has no real arm control (I believe Pooh once had a similar costume and couldn't move his arms). Plus, there's characters who hardly come out anymore in that ad like Dumbo and the Walrus.

And whilst we're on the topic of Disney theme parks:

1. Did anybody hear that when Eisner came in to the Mouse House in the 80s, he initially banned TweedleDum and TweedleDee (the annoying fat twins in Alice in Wonderland) from walking around the parks? Apparently, he thought that the costumes could anger some parents with disabled kids as he thought that in the third dimension, the characters looked like kids with down-syndrome. They stopped coming out for a while, Disney theme park management resisted in the end, though, as they knew that Eisner didn't exactly live inside Sleeping Beauty Castle.

2. This is a clip that's looped over and over again. It was originally taken from the 1971 televised opening of Disney World (which was at the time, just the Magic Kingdom). It's rather amusing, and somewhat strange.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DYU9pROIH8
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 1st, 2006, 9:24 pm

1. Did anybody hear that when Eisner came in to the Mouse House in the 80s, he initially banned TweedleDum and TweedleDee (the annoying fat twins in Alice in Wonderland) from walking around the parks? Apparently, he thought that the costumes could anger some parents with disabled kids as he thought that in the third dimension, the characters looked like kids with down-syndrome. They stopped coming out for a while, Disney theme park management resisted in the end, though, as they knew that Eisner didn't exactly live inside Sleeping Beauty Castle.
Wow, that's very weird! :) But it kinda makes sense if you think about it....they do sort of look like that.

TweedleDum and TweedleDee (the annoying fat twins in Alice in Wonderland)
They weren't as annoying in the book, they had more of a purpose there. In the movie they basically didn't do anything but hop around and sing, just like the Caucus Race. I like the film but Walt sucked a lot of the fun from Alice when he adapted it. :?

(And he also never warmed to Alice as a character, he thought she was too cold. So that's why her character is kinda empty in the film.)
You spend all your spare time on You Tube, um, do ya Vi?
I just want to add that I'm sorry if I put up too many youtube links. I just found them interesting and wanted to share them.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 3rd, 2006, 2:38 pm

No probs, but we do have a couple of "hey, fun video clip" type threads open and it would be helpful to shove them there! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 4th, 2006, 7:08 am

Just a weird coincidence.....(I wasn't sure where to put this so.... :wink: )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisner-Iger

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 4th, 2006, 8:30 am

You know, I knew about that from years ago but never made the connection! Good find Vi!! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 8th, 2006, 10:17 pm

Actually this doesn't really have anything to do with Disney, it's just really funny (IMHO) I know it's not everyone's favorite type of humor, however. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 12th, 2006, 7:34 am

Another random video (I don't think it's copyrighted, I mean it's from an Israeli TV show so I doubt it.)

It's an interview with Natalie Portman, but it's in Hebrew. (she speaks Hebrew.) The subtitles are in French.

She mostly talks about: what langauges she knows (English, Hebrew and some Arabic) what she likes to do, where she likes to live, her feelings on how she'd like to live in Israel or be in an israeli movie, go to college in Israel, whether she might be nominated for an Oscar ever.

Sorry there are no English subtitles. :? I'll try to translate it more fully soon! :wink:

(Her Hebrew's pretty much perfect, but she does have a slight American accent. :wink: )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » November 6th, 2006, 7:15 pm

These also have nothing to do with Disney, but here are some French adverts for a mobile phone service offering music tracks. Of course, you've got some amateur renditions of the songs first. ;)

Gnarls Barkley:
http://www.youtube.com/v/d4qyguN-mFs

Red Hot Chili Peppers: (three seperate ones here)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDPDfIE52wE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWUTu5p7sKA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq2_TgmGRBU
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]