"Disney" + "scary" =

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 7th, 2006, 5:21 am

ShyViolet wrote:That....is.....brilliant!!!!!! :D

The music, everything. And especially with the "writing" motif that is so frequently the suject of comedy/dramas nowadays...and Jack Nicholson, who was in many "funny-dramas" like As Good as It Gets, etc...

Thanks Mickey. ;)
Hey, you're welcome, Vi! It seems you really enjoyed the trailer! :D

But wait a second...
ShyViolet wrote:Yeah, I agree it's better in the first half, when it's more of a "kooky comedy" it kind of reminded me of Spanglish for some reason, or Terms of Endearment--some James. L Brooks film anyway.

And yeah, the second half seemed kind of choppy, and that shot of Nicholson kissing the dead lady.....ewwwwww....almost ruins it!

What. In. The. World.

You thought the trailer was "brilliant" until Ben gave his opinion! :?

Anyway, about the trailer's switch in tone, come on, we've seen that in trailer after trailer after trailer. It's a staple for advertisements of feel-good flicks in which the main character has a big epiphany. It's always something like...

"John always thought he had what he wanted."
[John smiles, parties with friends]
"Until he had..."
[John answers his front door]
"...what he didn't want."
[John looks disgusted at some cute kid, whom we'll see being hugged by the end of the trailer]

As for the creepiness in the fake Shining trailer, I think that was 100% intentional. The first time I saw the ad, every few seconds I thought I was going to see a hallway full of blood or evil twin girls. The trailer constantly built up to that, leaving the viewer thinking, "All right, the kid just turned a corner, and WE'RE ABOUT TO SEE..."

Nope, just another cut to something like Jack showing his signature smile.

In my opinion, it's like the trailer is constantly teasing us that way. Personally, I like it.
Ben wrote:...despite the music, his underlying sense of menace just keep pushing through...
True, but I see that in a lot of Nicholson's real comedies. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 7th, 2006, 8:33 am

Yeah, that's why he's Nicholson! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 7th, 2006, 6:39 pm

You thought the trailer was "brilliant" until Ben gave his opinion!
No, don't get me wrong, I still think it's great....it was really just the shot of the dead lady that put me off when I watched it again.

I was just scrutinizing it more, but I still thought it was a great remix. :wink:

I'm sorry if I showed any favoritism or bias...it wasn't meant that way.

BTW, what did you guys think of The Ring trailer?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 7th, 2006, 7:31 pm

ShyViolet wrote:BTW, what did you guys think of The Ring trailer?
I thought it was ok :? A little scary looking, but that's about it :P

However, after seeing the trailer dozens of times, it actually reminded me of an episode of Beyond Belief :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 13th, 2006, 2:12 am

This is just someone's compilation of Disney animated heroines with the song: "I'm just a girl." It's just clips, so I hope it's not breaking copyright... :? :oops:
I just thought it was really cute. :P

Hope this is O.K. as a one-time thing.... :?

All characters are property of the Walt Disney Company
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 13th, 2006, 11:09 am

Cartoon Brew found this experimental short by filmmaker Len Lye, created in 1933. As Jerry Beck and some of the folks at YouTube admit, the short is a little creepy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 14th, 2006, 2:54 pm

Creepy? I loved it! Reminded me of those just plain bizarre moments in the Fleischer Boop cartoons, where the most random things would just happen for no reason.

Nice find Josh, via The Brew of course! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 17th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Hey, did anyone ever watch this show? I haven't seen this in like 16 years! :shock: :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 17th, 2006, 9:15 pm

:shock:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 18th, 2006, 12:01 am

Gawd that's <I>bad</I>.

Anyone remember the big SFX live-action movie? Although it got panned and tanked, I actually quite enjoyed it even though it was overly sound-stage bound and claustrophobic as a result. But some nice sequences!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 18th, 2006, 3:09 am

Anyone remember the big SFX live-action movie? Although it got panned and tanked, I actually quite enjoyed it even though it was overly sound-stage bound and claustrophobic as a result. But some nice sequences!
I liked it too! With Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo, I thought they did really well considering the weak story...I liked the score and there were some sweet scenes. I've caught it when it came on TV....it has this cheery feel to it that I've always liked.

And it came from Disney! :)

The cartoon....I used to watch it after school...it looks so awful now, but it's hilarious to look back on it.

The two guys hosted the show and had their own 5 minute intro, but the cartoon was totally separate. On Fridays there was a seperate Legend of Zelda cartoon, which they don't show here.

Yeah, I know, that rap is terrible! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 21st, 2006, 4:47 am

Meet The Parents Recut:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 21st, 2006, 5:00 am

ET recut: might actually give you nightmares :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 21st, 2006, 8:58 am

Vi...sig image too large...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 21st, 2006, 12:35 pm

Sorry, it's a web-based image--how do I reduce it? :oops: