"Disney" + "scary" =

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 7th, 2006, 10:55 pm

This sort of has to do with animation, and Disney, since I think Roy Disney produced it or something.

It's basically the weirdest crossover/PSA/Saturday Morning program/Don't do drugs show EVER produced.

I watched this in sixth grade I think (I was 11)...several times in school when we had a "free period." :)

Don't do drugs....or Alvin and the Chipmunks will come after you!
And they know where you live. :wink:

(Just FYI the actual forum has some profanities on it)

This cartoon is actually kind of "scary" on its own! :P Especially with George C. Scott playing the....evil Marijuana cloud/monster....yes, you read that right. :roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on November 8th, 2006, 6:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 8th, 2006, 1:01 am

BTW Huey, Dewy and Louie (a la DUCKTALES) sing this hilarious song called "All the wonderful ways to say no"

... Even weirder, this song was apparently written by yes, none other than Alan Menken and Howard Ashman! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 8th, 2006, 6:53 am

Bush Sr looks like an animatronic in that intro. Is that really real?

Plus, 1 of 4? At seven minutes each? How long was thins thing? It's pretty cool getting all those characters together, I'll check it out in full later.

Doesn't look like the message got through to Bush Jr though, did it? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 8th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Ha ha! :) Guess not. :wink:

Plus, 1 of 4? At seven minutes each? How long was thins thing? It's pretty cool getting all those characters together, I'll check it out in full later.
It was actually a pretty big deal at the time if I remember correctly. It was on at the same time on all three networks--CBS, NBC and ABC, and all the "regular" cartoons were cancelled that Saturday morning. Kind of an "event" especially since all these characters were together at the same time! Very Roger-Rabbit-esque. :)

It was first shown in April of 1990.

I haven't seen it in like 15 years. Lots of memories there! :wink: If you were a kid back then this was the BOMB. You didn't really notice the anti-drug message as much as the fact that the SMURFS ARE TALKING TO ALF! :shock: :) :roll:

It's almost like a generational thing...for a while it was in video stores and then for a long time if you brought it up no one remembered what you were talking about. But I guess a lot of people do remember! :) It's like some kind of weird shared hallucination or something... :roll: :P

I also remember that Ronald McDonald House ad afterwards. (a foundation for sick and handicapped children) Haven't seen that in ages either.

And for some reason the song on the end credits (a reprise of the other one) kind of got me almost teary eyed...it was just sweet. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 8th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Here's some extra info on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon_Al ... the_Rescue

Plus you can hear/view the anti-drug song on the official Alan Menken website: http://www.alanmenken.info/introduction ... ction.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » November 9th, 2006, 4:41 am

Haha. I'd heard about this, but never seen it. It's like... all my childhood memories, mashed into one cartoon. Muppet Babies, Ninja Turtles (only Mikey though, 'cos he was the popular one :roll: ), the Chipmunks, Garfield... and done pretty true-to-style, too! I love it!

Though it's fun to sit back and watch the characters give in-depth explanations of how drugs mess you up, which makes me chuckle and say how do yooooooou know? :P Some would argue Michelangelo is being hypocritical here, heh.

Man, I'd forgotten how much Garfield's VA nailed his character. It's part of why I was so unimpressed with the CG movies. You just can't duplicate that.

*sigh* Though I guess the song was obligatory.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 9th, 2006, 9:12 am

(only Mikey though, 'cos he was the popular one Rolling Eyes ),

I remember watching that the first time and wondering where the heck the other Turtles were, since we've never seen only Michaelangelo. He defintetely wasn't my fave.... :roll:
Man, I'd forgotten how much Garfield's VA nailed his character.
Yeah Lorenzo M....no one could do what he did. Best. Voice actor. Ever! :)

Though it's fun to sit back and watch the characters give in-depth explanations of how drugs mess you up, which makes me chuckle and say how do yooooooou know? Razz
So true...that's what makes it so weird.

Michael: Is that my future?
Daffy Duck: It is if you don't get off those drugs!

:shock:

Plus didn't Jason Marsden, who plays the main character Michael, later on play Max in A Goofy Movie? I think his name's come up before on these boards....:)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 9th, 2006, 3:32 pm

Yeah, you're right, Vi. Jason Marsden provided the voice of Max in both Goofy movies, House of Mouse and Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas.

Thinking of the first post in this thread, I've thought of another creepy commercial. Who else has seen this ad for the Playstation 3?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 9th, 2006, 8:28 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
Man, I'd forgotten how much Garfield's VA nailed his character.
Yeah Lorenzo M....no one could do what he did. Best. Voice actor. Ever! :)
I thrice that! He's an outstanding Va. Is he still around? If he is, maybe they should've gottan him to voice Garfield instead of Bill Murray :x

Btw... Funny 'comic book guy' reference Vi ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 10th, 2006, 7:52 am

Whu...That's really weird, Mick!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 10th, 2006, 11:26 am

Sadly, Lorenzo Music died in 2001 - hence Murray's take on the role in the movies. Music played Murray's GhostBusters character Venkmen in the cartoon show based on that movie, so it seemed a suitable "payback", even if fans can't get to grips with Murray as Garfield.

Personally, I thought he nailed it as far as anyone taking on the role could do.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 10th, 2006, 9:04 pm

Oh, I didn't know that. How sad :(

Personally, I feel Bills voice wasn't that bad. I think what I disliked more, was the way Garfield was portrayed. He wasn't the lazy and sarcastic cat I grew up :? Rather, he was turned into a more energetic cat which inturn changed his character.

One comparison comes to mind, and that was when Garfield danced with Odie. My Garfield wouldn't do that! He would be lying in bed or eating.

*stopping myslef*

Anyway, thanks for the info Ben ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 11th, 2006, 9:54 am

Would have made for an even more boring film though... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 11th, 2006, 11:23 am

That's true. He's best in comic form. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 11th, 2006, 1:23 pm

Ben wrote:Would have made for an even more boring film though... ;)
True, it was just to much of a strech IMO. But, I guess we'll never know :shock: