Big Star Voice Actors--pro or con?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 9th, 2007, 7:21 am

I was too,

Hugh Jackman has proven himself twice this year to have a talent for voicework.
2 very different roles, both of them really well done.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 9th, 2007, 4:03 pm

Yah, Hugh Jackman is very good.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 11th, 2007, 1:25 pm

"Flushed Away" had THE best voice cast in any animated movie released in 2006. Very, very good stuff in that film. :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 11th, 2007, 4:42 pm

And possibly THE best animated film of 2006?
http://animated-views.com/2007/flushed-away/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 2nd, 2007, 11:31 pm

I think the biggest problem with many (not all) of the "celebrity voiceovers" is that you can TELL they don't really care or want to be there. (it was very obvious in some of the Happy Feet voices.)

There was an interview with De Niro in Total Film I think, and the interviewer asks him: "Why do you do silly films like Shark Tale and Rocky and Bullwinkle?" and he's like: "I had fun doing those films. Well...I had fun doing Rock and Bullwinkle."

:roll:

I think some celebrity voices are OK....but they have to WANT to do it, and to devote their craft to it...otherwise it's just incredibly hollow. :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 3rd, 2007, 2:38 pm

Oh, definatly. Happy Feet is, like you said, a great example...You can tell Hugh Jackman and Robin Williams had a blast doing it, but others like Elija Wood (sp?) and Brittney Murphy were just...Not into it at all.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 3rd, 2007, 4:18 pm

You can tell Hugh Jackman and Robin Williams had a blast doing it, but others like Elija Wood (sp?) and Brittney Murphy were just...Not into it at all.
Yeah, personally I thought Elijah Wood was awful!! :? Just too recognizable after LOTR, and ughghghg.....I cringed every time I heard his voice. (which is a bit annoying after Frodo, with all the "good guy" pure of heart nonsence...I loved him in Eternal Sunshine however, where he played a sleazy stalker-type guy...:wink: He should do more roles like that. :) )

And ditto Nicole Kidman, BTW--I didn't recognize her, but I figured whoever was voicing her was a pretty big star, mostly from how disinterested she seemed. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 3rd, 2007, 4:24 pm

The best example of big star voice actors just because they are famous that comes to my mind still has to be Sinbad.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 2nd, 2007, 8:40 pm

Spidey 3 is going to make Thomas Hayden Church A-list, no question. It's what he does next that will determine if he stays there.
Does anyone know what he's doing next? Does he have any animated roles planned?

Also, other than the "obvious" big stars like Eddie, Cameron and Mike, (and Justin of course) I didn't really recognize a lot of the Shrek the Third voices....I don't know about anyone else.

Of course I knew John Cleese and Julie Andrews (they weren't even in it all that much) but the princesses I didn't really recognize. I know there were some famous stars doing them though, or at least semi-famous. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 2nd, 2007, 10:13 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Does anyone know what he's doing next? Does he have any animated roles planned?
Well, he was going to be in American Dog, but now that the movie is being reworked, it seems unlikely that his character will remain.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 3rd, 2007, 10:08 pm

That's right, I forgot all about that. I checked Wik and IMDB: according to them, Church is still attached.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Dog

Wish we could get a glimpse of those new designs....:?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 3rd, 2007, 11:21 pm

Naturally, its just a matter of who he'll voice that's the question. In an article, it mentioned that they would keep the characters but change the story. I'm hoping its true, but I'm predicting otherwise.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by rebelrex » June 4th, 2007, 9:21 am

i loved eddie murphy, as donkey, in the shrek movies!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 5th, 2007, 1:22 am

I thought he was better as Mushu, but that's just me. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 5th, 2007, 7:45 am

Mushu...Donkey...Eddie Murphy...same thing...