Best movie opening/title sequence

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 24th, 2007, 7:48 pm

I finally received my 'corrected' Superman: The Movie DVD from Warner Bros. this week, and watched it last night. :)

The opening titles for that film are iconic. :shock:

I don't know if it's really possible to appreciate how 'revolutionary' those titles were from todays' perspective, with 'flying' text leaving streaking trails being somewhat 'old hat' by now .. but, prior to 1978, nothing like it had ever been done.

And, while the 'nebula' and 'comet' effects passing through a starfield in S:TM's opening certainly do have a 'dated' look now, I much prefer them to the awful CGI 'ride-film'-inspired mess that was the Superman Returns opening title sequence. :?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 24th, 2007, 8:33 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Like that IGN article though Josh! :)
Glad you enjoyed the piece, Vi! I also don't agree with everything Collura wrote in the article. Still, I think he offers some interesting thought nuggets. :)
droosan wrote:I finally received my 'corrected' Superman: The Movie DVD from Warner Bros. this week, and watched it last night.

The opening titles for that film are iconic.
I couldn't agree with you more, droosan! I love the opening titles for that film too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 25th, 2007, 1:52 pm

I was glad the Donner cut of SII kept with the 1978 approach and not the Returns "ride film" (good description). As with everything else in SR, it looked old, crap and stolen from something else (in that case Star Trek: TNG).

I remember seeing S:TM in the theater and the screen opening up from 1.33 black and white (on the comic book) so the credits stretching right across the 2.35 frame. And those trails and the whoosh effects. Never before or after has text on screen been so exciting.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rio » February 26th, 2007, 6:10 pm

Everytime I see the opening for Dreamgirls I get tingles. The way the cowbell comes in and all the different frames is completely amazing. It just starts out with a bang, loud, and beautiful. You HAVE to see it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 26th, 2007, 7:20 pm

Tenacious D: the pick of destiny

nuff said

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » February 27th, 2007, 6:50 am

Tenacious D had a great opening.
Too bad the 2nd half of the movie was so dissapointing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 27th, 2007, 1:30 pm

The entire movie was awesome >:[

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » February 27th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Well that's your opinion, not mine :wink:

I'm not saying I didn't like it btw, just didn't live up to the expectations I had.
The final rock off between the devil and D was the most dissapointing thing of the flick.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 27th, 2007, 10:36 pm

I saw Tenacious D a couple of weeks ago at a screening here....(missed the opening unfortunately :()

I LOVED IT!!!!! :D :D

I laughed SOOOOOOOOO hard. I LOOOOOOOOVE Jack Black....he is awesome......no ifs, ands or buts!!! :)

I also thought he was great in King Kong, he did a wonderful job there, not many have acknowledged it, but he was great. :wink:

Oh and this excerpt is from The Editing Room version of King Kong, soooo funny: :)
King Kong: The abridged Script

by Rod Hilton

RANDOM NEW YORKER
Some king. Couldn't even take a couple shots from planes.

JACK BLACK
It wasn't the planes that killed him. It was beauty that killed the beast.

NAOMI WATTS
Actually I'm pretty sure you killed him, since you kidnapped him from his home and dragged him here in the first place.

JACK BLACK
Yeah. Who did you think I meant by 'beauty'? Me, baby. Me! Take it, Rage!

KYLE GASS shows up and plays guitar.

JACK BLACK
Kiiiiiiiiing Koooooooong! F*****g King Kong, Motherf*****r! We're f*****g talking King Kong! We're f*****g talking King Bong! We f*****g sing this King Song! Yeah!

END
Copyright 2006 Rod Hilton. All Rights Reserved. This document may be reproduced verbatim (allowing censorship and translation) as long as the author's name is preserved and this notice is either preserved or referenced.

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 1st, 2007, 1:55 am

Speaking of King Kong,
watch it again and notice how Naomi Watts never closes her mouth and always has that sorta dissoriented ohmygoditsahugemonkey look

This is the face I"m talking about:
She keeps this up throughout the movie, even before she met kong :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2007, 10:28 am

Yep, the whole way through. I noticed that when I saw it in the theater. It's quite endearing! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 1st, 2007, 5:19 pm

She's beautiful! :)

I have a guy friend who wants to marry her. :P J/K :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2007, 6:21 pm

There's a lot of people in that line! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 5th, 2007, 4:50 am

There's also this pic: :)

Loved her clothes in this film.....the 1930s (and 40s) had the BEST fashions, I think! :)