Most underrated animated movie

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by rebelrex » May 30th, 2007, 9:35 am

Hoagiebot wrote:Fern Gully - I love the villain and his opening singing number in that film!
that was my ABSOLUTE favorite movie when i was a kid! GOOD CALL!! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » May 30th, 2007, 3:29 pm

Regarding Titan AE.... I'm a bit of a sci-fi/action buff, so I kind of liked it--I also liked Atlantis more than I know I should. But I can see how someone could not like it. The rock songs seem out of place, especially after the breathtaking opening and its musical underscore. The abrupt tone shift from the opening title to the sequence of Matt Damon fixing that thing was not successful, in my opinion. The character animation is not very good; it's notable that of Bluth's normal crew of animators and story guys, only Gary Goldman is retained on this feature. Even John Pomeroy had left by this time.

That said, it is an enjoyable film in MY view.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 31st, 2007, 4:43 am

I love Titan. It's a very different film from the crew, and considering they did it in the time they did, it's pretty awesome.

Interesting that it came out around the same time as Atlantis, with the same styling too...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by rebelrex » May 31st, 2007, 11:07 am

honestly i should probably see Titan AE again, its been a long time, but from what i remember it was pretty good :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by thatshot » November 26th, 2007, 2:15 pm

I think The Nut Cracker Prince is one of those under-rated movies. I love their adaptation of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite.

The Swan Princess by Richard Rich is not that bad either.. one of my fav non-disney princess-prince-happily-ever-after movies. hehe

The Rescuers Down Under..
Image is this swwweeeeeeeeeet???

I loved how they animated Marahute's wings.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by thatshot » November 26th, 2007, 2:17 pm

message deleted
Last edited by thatshot on November 27th, 2007, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Riv » November 26th, 2007, 3:08 pm

Glen Keane animated Marahute wonderfully (those eyes!), the first 20 minutes of Rescuers Down Under are perfect :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » November 26th, 2007, 4:18 pm

I think Rescuers Down Under gets overlooked because it came out between the towering Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. Marahute's flight is just wonderful, perfectly accompanied by the underrated Bruce Broughton's soaring score. Duncan Marjoribanks also did a stellar job with McLeach--I think he's one of the most subtly humorous villains in animation. One more bit of useless name dropping-- I had always loved the Cockroach/Pea Soup sequence as a kid, and I wasn't surprised to learn later that James Baxter had a hand in animating it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 26th, 2007, 9:43 pm

I loved the Rescuers Down Under as a kid and I rewatched it and it is a wonderful movie. I think it is even better than the original Rescuers.

And yes Rover Dangerfield does get no respect lol.

As to other under rated animated movies I can't think of any right now. Ralph Bakshi's work interests me right now. The only movie of his I own/ have seen is his version of Lord of the Rings. Oh man how I wish he had finished that. His version of Return of the King would have been so awesome. So I can't say if I am going to like his movies or not because they are mostly cult classics. I decided I want to watch Fire and Ice even though it doesn't look that good because my new Illustration hero James Gurney worked on the backgrounds for that movie. ^.^ Any one have a movie of his they absolutely love?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 26th, 2007, 10:20 pm

thatshot wrote:I think The Nut Cracker Prince is one of those under-rated movies. I love their adaptation of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite.

I could've done without the "safety-net" Fractured-Fairytales paean section, m'self.
The Rescuers Down Under.
As they say, A Disney Film Is Only As Good As Its Villain...
And I recall trying to put my finger on just why James Garner was so forgettable and unappealing in "Atlantis", and all I could think of to say was, "Remember George C. Scott in RDU?--Yeah. Kinda like that. :? "

(And as for Titan: WHY ON EARTH did Fox insanely believe that...oh, never mind, we know why.
But directing "Anastasia" is no resume' for Don "Sniffles in New York" Bluth to direct Joss Whedon sci-fi. That was just blind desperation.)

As for my choice, most underrated?--Oh, just gotta bring it back full circle:
After only innocently showing it once for lack of any other new titles at the time, I've got kids in the house who now actually ask to dig out the "Treasure Planet" DVD on a repeat basis...
Like "Hercules", living testament to the fact that John Musker & Ron Clements are physically incapable of making a bad movie, no matter what circumstances. :D

...No, second thought strike that--TP's got enough defenders, these days.
But how many will bravely come forward and testify that, yes, scoff if you like...Roseanne actually WAS funny in "Home on the Range":
We can't explain why either, but it was cute, darnit.
(Although, like Emperor's New Groove, it's funnier if you go in knowing the studio production history of what the movie could have been, and are just glad they cut their losses and sent it out with a laugh.) :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by thatshot » November 27th, 2007, 9:04 am

Vernadyn wrote: One more bit of useless name dropping-- I had always loved the Cockroach/Pea Soup sequence as a kid, and I wasn't surprised to learn later that James Baxter had a hand in animating it.
hey i loved the pea-soup sequence too! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 1st, 2007, 7:38 pm

Great points being made here, which I agree with on the most part.

RDU is very overlooked. The opening 20 minutes are, indeed, perfect.

The Nutcracker Prince almost works save for some jumbled plotlines, but as an independent movie, the animation doesn't stink as much as it might.

Swan Princess is something I'm still waiting on a widescreen DVD for. The movie itself just about holds up, but it's infinitely better than the crop of video sequels Rich had a hand in, or his own The Princess And The Pea, which is a faded copy of a pretty good copy.

And Rover Dangerfield, despite not being perfect but a nice job from the Hyperion guys, doesn't get any respect at all. Another widescreen DVD I'm waiting for!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Megagents » December 2nd, 2007, 12:13 am

I saw a few people mention Titans AE, I think that was a bit underrated. It was brilliant for it's time and is still as good as ever.
I love Cartoons! Who doesn't love cartoons? I just love them!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by G1rl » December 19th, 2007, 6:15 pm

I think Mulan is underrated, is a nice movie, and the music is really good (is my favorite part of the movie).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CharlieBarkin » January 4th, 2008, 7:13 pm

"All Dogs Go to Heaven" definitely. One of my absolute favorite animated films of all time, and yet so cruelly over-looked. Had it not been released on the same day as "The Little Mermaid" and perhaps left over until 1990, this would have done so much better at the box office.
"The difference between insanity and genius, is measured only by success"