Most underrated animated movie

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 7th, 2008, 1:18 pm

I agree. I never cared for All Dogs as a kid, but after rediscovering the work of Don Bluth in recent years, I watched it again and realized that the reason I didn't like it back then is that it wasn't made to be a kids film. The story is much more adult than most of the animated fare of the time and I was pleasantly surprised.
Something I realized the last time I watched it was that the scene with the alligator has a strong homoerotic subtext, whether it was planned or not. If it was indeed planned than I'm amazed that Bluth was able to get away with it.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » January 7th, 2008, 2:25 pm

Ben wrote:Swan Princess is something I'm still waiting on a widescreen DVD for
Don't they have a widescreen version of SP in the UK? I have the R2 boxset (including the GASP...sequels) and I'm pretty sure the first one has a widescreen transfer, although not a very good one.

Another underrated film: We're Back - A dinosaur's tale.
It's been a long time since I've seen it but I can still remember the fantastic musical score, even if I was only a little boy back then. It's often used in trailers but I just can't seem to find the soundtrack for the film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 7th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Shark Tale is underrated (well,about the Dreamworks:
Shrek is the most overrated.
Madgascar is a bit overrated (baiscly the focouse on the pinguines).
And Over The Hedge a bit),i really wanted to see more about Shark Tale.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 7th, 2008, 2:56 pm

Yep Jeroen...I refuse to buy the R2 Swan Princess for the poor transfer and lack of features.

We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story is a great little film and I'm glad to have the widescreen LaserDisc of that. I don't know if a soundtrack was released...it was sure hard to find the Balto soundtrack too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by REINIER » March 16th, 2008, 1:20 pm

sure thing Ben, wback rules!

Balto, an instant classic too!

I have much enjoyed Don Bluth's Rock 'a doodle and Anastasia,
afraid i'm with a small crowd...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » March 16th, 2008, 8:17 pm

How about Brave Little Toaster? I know it has a fairly strong following, but it often seems to be ignored. I liked its slightly independent, quirky feel. It also has some parts that I found to be mildly alarming as a child, such as when Kirby the vacuum cleaner sees the waterfall, the air conditioner overheating, and the car demolition sequence in the end. Actually, that song the cars sing is really quite depressing. It's different from a typical Disney movie in tone, even though it is "presented" by them and had a lot of future-Disney people working on it (like Kirk Wise, Kevin Lima, Rob Minkoff, and Joe Ranft). Probably not for everyone, but I have fond memories of it.

I second Mulan and Jerry Goldsmith's awesome score for it.

Nice to see that there are others who like Titan AE, especially since it has unfortunately not stood up very well to repeat viewings for me. I'm not a Bluth fan except for NIMH, but I'm happy that there are people who like his films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by REINIER » March 18th, 2008, 2:42 pm

Totally with you in this Vernadyn!
Brave lill Toast. is among those unappreciated works of art.

Mulan is the bomb, I myself loved The Hunchb.oNDame.
The lyrics are to die for :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 19th, 2008, 3:07 am

I'm going to go one step further, and say the whole trilogy of The Brave Little Toaster is underrated. Well, actually, I do love Rescue more then Mars, but the latter has the baby, and I LOVE the song he's sung to, "I see a new you". Always gets me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 28th, 2008, 7:40 pm

This is one of the best tribute videos I've ever seen and I thought it would be appropriate for this thread. Name that tune! :D
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by jcvaldez » March 31st, 2008, 12:43 pm

No particular order

1. Iron Giant
2. Atlantis
3. Treasure Planet
4. Chicken Little
5. Meet the Robinsons
6. Bug's Life
7. Sinbad
8. Hercules

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Riv » March 31st, 2008, 8:39 pm

IMO Iron Giant is underwatched but not underrated... everyone loves it!

I actually think Madagascar's a wee bit underrated, the critics weren't kind at all. It's shallow, but also fun, concise and well-animated. I prefer it over Shrek 2:)

Pebble and the penguin also gets so much flak, but ignoring the 'flying climax' it's not a bad little movie really!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by andrewcg » September 11th, 2008, 11:21 am

I thought Treasure Planet was better than some others that made more money.
[url=http://www.werewolfandfirefly.com][img]http://www.geocities.com/andymulia/WF_Banner.jpg[/img][/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » September 11th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Some disney classics like The Aristocats, Robin Hood, or The Sword in the Stone, are very underrated. Especially Aristocats.

I agree with most of the ones mentioned. (A Bug's Life, Atlantis, Treasure Planet a bit...) But Iron Giant is not underrated, it's just unseen of the public. But animation and movie - geeks are loving it.
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 11th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Some Disney classics, like Robin Hood or Sword in the Stone, are very overrated. ;)

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » September 11th, 2008, 5:42 pm

Oliver & Company