Most underrated animated movie

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » March 8th, 2007, 7:16 pm

Zwollie wrote: Outside of Miyazaki's films, anime still gets overlooked by the general audience
It's a shame :(
Those movies are always so imaginative and original, we can learn a lot from the japanese on some accounts
Oh, that's totally true... Unfortunatelly...
There are many really and I mean REALLY amazing movies :)
A bunch of japanese or korean animes I like most (excluding Miyazaki because it's almost mainstream) :

Tokyo Godfathers
Hotaru no haka
Jin-Roh
Wonderful Days (aka Sky Blue)
My Beautiful Girl Mari
Ghost in the Shell & GitS Innocence
End of Evangelion
Akira
Metropolis

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 9th, 2007, 2:07 am

On the subject of Pokemon, how is Mewtwo Strikes Back underated? If it were the Japanese version, I would agree, but the dub is, well, bad. :( So in this rare case, I actually agree with the harsh critisism given to the film.

But don't misunderstand, I love this movie. Its just, when your aware of the reason why critics panned it it so much, you'll understand its not so much the movie, as it is the dub version. Its really sad, because even though the changes are small, its enough to change certain, if not all, aspects of the movie.

I really wish, 4Kids would've tried to be more faithful, because what they did was just wrong. Thankfully, this was perhaps the only real thing they messed up on a whole. The following sequels faired MUCH better, likewise for the show.

So yeah, I do love the film, I just wouldn't say it was 'underated'. But that's just me. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 9th, 2007, 5:56 am

I met the CEO of 4Kids at a conference once and he described his audience as "consumers". That's all you need to know right there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 9th, 2007, 2:50 pm

Wo'h you mean, Al!? I believe it. Reasons such as that one, are why I'm happy Pokemon is no longer with 4Kids.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 11th, 2007, 4:47 pm

ShyViolet wrote:A bunch of those film I'm ashamed I have yet to see..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Home on the Range

Treasure Planet

Watership Down

Atlantis

Balto

Rock-a-Doodle

Pebble and the Penguin

Will see them soon though....:wink:
HOTR: Check.

TP: Check.

WSD: Hmmm. I don't know much about this one.

Atlantis: Check.

Balto: Check.

Rock-a-Doodle: Haven't seen it, but I've heard it's awful.

Pebble and the Penguin: Again, I haven't seen it, but this one's just supposed to be SO bad.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 11th, 2007, 5:00 pm

Hey WJ...more on Watership Down, which comes highly recommended:

<I>Watership Down</I> piece at Animated Views

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 11th, 2007, 5:01 pm

I haven't seen Pebble, but I refuse to because it was the film Don Bluth asked to have his name taken off of after studio interferance destroyed what he had in mind. They left his name on and finished it without him and it turned out bad (or so its reputation stands). Rock A Doodle, on the other hand, isn't a bad film at all. It is, in my opinion, one of Bluth's better efforts. It gets a bad rap, though, because it is a kids movie in every sense of the term. It's worth seeing, but the dvd recently went out of print (before I had a chance to get it, grrrrrrrr...) so good luck finding it.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 11th, 2007, 5:06 pm

Pebble And The Penguin is getting the SE treatment from Fox soon. Rumor is that they have renewed their deal with Bluth and may pur out Rock-A-Doodle too.

I've never seen Pebble (the upcoming Family Fun edition will be my first time), while Doodle gets a bad rap but is simple good fun with some nice touches. It's certainly the most coheasive of Bluth's independent efforts.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 18th, 2007, 6:23 pm

Seeing as I didn't agree with, Mewtwo Strikes Back, I like to throw in another Pokemon movie I do consider underated. And that movie is, Mewtwo Returns, not to be confused with, Strikes Back. This is with out a doubt, one of the best efforts from 4Kids and it really does show.

Many critisize Returns, because it wasn't intended to be a real movie. In Japan, it was just a made for TV special, aka Hoso. Not big deal, right? That's what I don't understand. :? And another issue people seem to have, is they automatically assume its just as badly dubbed as Strikes Back. Without ever seeing it, how do you know for sure? Ugh.

Every seen it, Z, or eddy? If not, I highly recommend it! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 18th, 2007, 6:28 pm

I have seen it Daniel :D and it wasnt half bad. especially for DTV
But you're not gonna change my mind about the dubbing part :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 18th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Glad to know you've seen it, Z! :)

What was it that you didn't like? The dumbing down part? Please, this had to be one of the most faithful translations, ever! There were probably five instances, where they did infact dumb down the dialogue.

One comes to mind, and that was a scene with Giovanni. It went something like, "or your friends, will most certanly leave this world" instead of out right saying, they will die! Other than that, I fail to see what was wrong.

Or was is the backround music? I'll admit, I would've prefered the Japanese soundtrack, but I didn't mind the dub music. At least, it didn't have that horrid insert song "Brother My Brother" *shrugs* ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 18th, 2007, 7:08 pm

I met the CEO of 4Kids at a conference once and he described his audience as "consumers".

That's terrible. :(

Reminds me of this line from Death to Smoochy: :D

"These are children.....you don't see children, do you? All you see are wallets with pigtails."
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 18th, 2007, 10:02 pm

At least, it didn't have that horrid insert song "Brother My Brother"
I don't think i can ever forgive 4kids for that one................ O___o

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 18th, 2007, 10:33 pm

Ditto, Angel, ditto. ;)

And you know what? When I went to go see Mewtwo Strikes Back in theatures, and I heard that song, I knew something wasn't right. It just felt like, "why is their a song when their fighting?" It wasn't till years later, that I realized why it didn't feel right. Its because it was horribly placed, and 4Kids was pretty much preaching the idea not to fight, when the whole franchise is built around that! I mean, why 4Kids? :(

On the plus side, I really liked how the original Vas handled the movie. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 19th, 2007, 2:00 am

ShyViolet wrote:
Also, YouTube has since then removed the film and all the trailers too......

Darn Google!!!

Yeah, darn them and all their copyright protecting shenanigans! Seriously Vi, these things have creators that are not getting paid because of the infringement of people posting this stuff.

I found this online. Cute! I like it. :D

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!