Most underrated animated movie

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Most underrated animated movie

Post by Jeroen » March 1st, 2007, 6:03 pm

So I was just wondering what everyone think are the most underrated animated movies who deserve a lot more attention then they get.

I was just watching treasure planet (underrated), So it got me thinking.
There are a lot of them, I know
Your thoughts?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2007, 6:09 pm

Yep, TP is one of them.

Watership Down and The Plague Dogs are two that should get more mentions, but I'm guessing this thread will get clogged up with shouts for many features whose reputations are probably about right.

Of course, it's all down to personal opinion too, so maybe a better theme for this thread would be which films don't deserve their bum rap? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 1st, 2007, 6:11 pm

Dangerous thread for me!! :twisted:

Um, Sinbad, Shark Tale, Flushed Away (regardless of reviews people are seeing it as a "failure" :(, and it didn't get an Annie nom or an Oscar nom) Road to El Dorado, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Sinbad, Sinbad, and Sinad!!! :P :D :wink: :roll: :wink: :lol: :) 8)

Also Over the Hedge--I know it did well and got some good reviews, and has fans here, but I've seen magazines and website diss it as "just another one of those talking animal movies about family/brotherhood" :roll: :roll:

Plus lest we forget, it didn't get nominated for an Oscar! :wink: :) :twisted:

That's it for me on this thread.....:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 1st, 2007, 6:17 pm

There are also a lot of movies that were meant to be great but got destroyed by excecutives.

The best example I can think of is Richard Williams' The thief and the cobbler.
This was gonna be his masterpiece until miramax got their hands on it and ruined what was going to be something fantastic.

Fortunately, a fan has tried to restore Williams vision with support from a lot of the crew who worked on the project and those cuts can be found online now.

Last edited by Jeroen on March 1st, 2007, 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » March 1st, 2007, 6:17 pm

Nice idea for duscussion, but at first I need a definition of being "underrated". What kind of underrating do you mean ? Commercialy underrated (by wide audience) ? Criticaly underrated ? Underrated by producers and then not marketed well ? Generaly underrated by ohers but very precious to myself ? Underrated when released, but classic years later ? Onderrated by me when seen by the first time, but gradually appreciated (or even suddenly dicovered as very valuable) when I'm older and more mature ? Or maybe all those cases are in ? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 1st, 2007, 6:18 pm

The best example I can think of is Richard Williams' The thief and the cobbler.
This was gonna be his masterpiece until miramax got their hands on it and ruined what was going to be something fantastic.
Couldn't have said it better Zwollie!! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » March 1st, 2007, 6:20 pm

A Bug's Life is so underrated!
[url=http://www.jvpixarnews.com]JV PIXAR NEWS[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 1st, 2007, 6:21 pm

Kaszubas wrote:Nice idea for duscussion, but at first I need a definition of being "underrated". What kind of underrating do you mean ? Commercialy underrated (by wide audience) ? Criticaly underrated ? Underrated by producers and then not marketed well ? Generaly underrated by ohers but very precious to myself ? Underrated when released, but classic years later ? Onderrated by me when seen by the first time, but gradually appreciated (or even suddenly dicovered as very valuable) when I'm older and more mature ? Or maybe all those cases are in ? :)
Uhm......Well uhm...I GOTTA GO!!
No I mean every kind of underrated

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2007, 6:31 pm

Like I said, this thread is going to get clogged by films that people just like and don't take into consideration their place in the "grand scheme" of things.

Hence the multiple DreamWorks inclusions (predictable, blah).

I reckon this is more about films that don't deserve their bad or so-so reputations, such as Treasure Planet, Balto, etc.

The DreamWorks films are, again, perfectly accounted for in terms of animation history, and their popular commercial response is clear that they find a soft spot with moviegoers.

Let's try and keep this interesting idea for a topic balance, shall we folks? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 1st, 2007, 6:35 pm

A bunch of those film I'm ashamed I have yet to see..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Home on the Range

Treasure Planet

Watership Down

Atlantis

Balto

Rock-a-Doodle

Pebble and the Penguin

Will see them soon though....:wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 1st, 2007, 7:41 pm

My gosh, Vi, you need to catch up! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2007, 12:24 am

I know. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2007, 12:26 am

Love that picture of Yum-Yum and King Nod.....:)

(they really do resemble Jasmine and the Sultan don't they?? :shock: )

Also, YouTube has since then removed the film and all the trailers too......:( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

(I think in a couple of months or so, A LOT more stuff is goint to be gone too. :()

Darn Google!!! :?

(I knew it: like Napster all over again....)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » March 2nd, 2007, 2:24 am

I agree - Watership Down is fantastic, mainly because it's one of the few based-on-a-book movies that KEEPS most of what made the book great. Though moms always freak out about the end... it's about bunnies and animated, right? Should be great for my five-year-old! :roll:

Balto has a decent fandom, but it does tend to get lost from public view. Not as good as Disney flicks of the time, but it had a great look and the soundtrack was wonderful. They're stretching the "based on a true story," though, IMHO.

Man, all I can do is agree right now! :P I'll come up with my own later.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 2nd, 2007, 3:01 am

How about, The Fox & the Hound, The Aristocats and The Emperor's New Groove. :P
Last edited by Daniel on March 2nd, 2007, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.