Most underrated animated movie

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 2nd, 2009, 10:49 pm

As noted in my recent laserdisc article at Views, I'm very happy to have Cats Don't Dance in widescreen on laser. Indeed, it's well worth seeing!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by surfnspy » February 5th, 2009, 6:44 pm

Clearly the most under appreciated animated film by the general public was Iron Giant.

I irony of under appreciated films is that I may not have seen them. (does that makes sense?) So here are a few that never get a mention that I saw as a kid and would like to see again.

The Mouse and His Child--All I remember is it made me cry uncontrollably. I have no idea why!

Watership Down. Ditto.

The Lorax--they used to show this on rainy days and I have fond memories of it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » February 5th, 2009, 11:58 pm

The Iron Giant is very appreciated by those who have actually seen it. I'd say it's more under-watched than rated. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 17th, 2009, 10:54 pm

This may be a totally obscure choice but for some reason I remember loving this film when I was young...the ending is quite moving, actually.

It seems kind of childish but it's definitely better than the trailer makes it out to be.

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 18th, 2009, 2:17 am

I always hated that song and could never get past that to watch the movie. Sorry.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 18th, 2009, 5:06 am

Too bad--The actual cartoon's got the hippie earth-parent change-the-world wimpiness that you'd EXPECT from a cartoon produced by Peter, Paul & Mary, but that also gives it a little edge of good intentions over its deceptively passing resemblance to the Care Bears...
Plus, it's got Burgess Meredith, how could it not be good? :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2009, 9:45 am

Nice to see you swing by Vi! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 18th, 2009, 12:58 pm

OMG, I kid you not, I love that short!! I think it was Big Lots that had a DVD bundled with a plushie and my mom got it for me. She said she always loved watching it growing up and thought I would to. And I do! It's very sweet. It came with three shorts, I'm not sure but I think there was more? Anyway, that was my favorite out of the compilation. I'm right with you on the ending, Vi.

The other two were good too, but didn't have the same emotional impact as the Jackie Draper one. Finally a title I do think is worthy of the phrase "underrated"! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » February 18th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Wow, it's been ages since I've seen Puff...

I had the other two shorts on VHS when I was a kid, but I never got around to seeing the Jackie Draper one. I do know the story though, cause I had a picture book of it! ^___^

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 18th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Ben wrote:Nice to see you swing by Vi!
Thanks Ben. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » February 21st, 2009, 4:39 pm

Jeroen wrote:The best example I can think of is Richard Williams' The thief and the cobbler.
This was gonna be his masterpiece until miramax got their hands on it and ruined what was going to be something fantastic.

Fortunately, a fan has tried to restore Williams vision with support from a lot of the crew who worked on the project and those cuts can be found online now.
I love this movie!!! I remember watching when I was like 7.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » March 31st, 2009, 5:11 pm

Looks like my city's library system ordered three new copies of Ocelot's Azur et Asmar. I'm so proud of them *tear*

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by susanspy » April 29th, 2009, 1:29 pm

Hello all,

Special thanks to "ShyViolet" for the cool video posted please do post more of the same if you have i know you might be having more coz you look to be a cool collector.

Cheers!!!
Last edited by susanspy on May 9th, 2009, 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.keywordspy.co.uk]keyword software[/url]~[url=http://www.keywordspy.com.au]keyword tool[/url]
[url=http://www.keywordspy.ca]search keyword[/url]~[url=http://www.keywordspy.co.in]track keyword[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by FanamI » May 1st, 2009, 11:48 am

I didn't get a chance to read entire post yet so sorry if repost.

By underrated I take that to mean underapprechiated or underwatched sleeper toons you persoanlly love and think more people should see.

some I feel this way about are:

Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Fantastic Planet: La Planète sauvage
FernGully
The Secret of Nhim
Wizards
Treasure Planet
Iron Giant for sure

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ribbedebie » May 14th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Eh... I'd say Rock-a-doodle, that movie is kinda coolio. I watched it a lot when I was little (remember my bad, broken English and my skunk-fandom, guys? xD) but alas it gets many bad reviews. I still like it kinda..

Over The Hedge perhaps too. It was that movie that started my skunk obsession.