General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » May 21st, 2009, 2:44 pm

I sense amusement!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » May 25th, 2009, 9:56 pm

How come nobody mentioned the secert of nimh?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 26th, 2009, 10:09 am

Perhaps because that film often gets its due? Despite not being referenced all the time, it's generally known that it's a very good movie, unlike some of the other titles here that get overlooked <I>all</I> the time by general audiences and animation aficionados alike. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by NightfallValley » June 3rd, 2009, 10:52 pm

The Iron Giant!!! While it did get good reviews, it doesnt have the fortune and glory it deserves!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 13th, 2009, 3:49 am

Just wondering out of curiosity what The Pagemaster is like? And also how much of it is animated? I'm currently in the process of updating my animated library both DVD and soundtracks and noticed that this title had slipped by me. Any thoughts?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 13th, 2009, 7:26 am

It's not actually a bad little film. A little light and possibly confused on a couple of story points, but the actual cartooning is fairly accomplished (certainly of the Bluth/Kroyer level) and there were one or two decent songs. The basic concept is pretty solid too, and I'd say it was around 70-75% fully animated, maybe more.

If you can appreciate that some Disney wannabes in the 1990s were just nice simple films that wanted to provide a bit of entertainment and not much more, then Pagemaster might surprise you. I initially saw it because I like Joe Johnston's work, but came away thinking that it was a neat enough little film and ended up buying the LD.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » June 13th, 2009, 7:44 am

I agree, Over the Hedge is underrated!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 13th, 2009, 10:32 am

Ben wrote:If you can appreciate that some Disney wannabes in the 1990s were just nice simple films that wanted to provide a bit of entertainment and not much more, then Pagemaster might surprise you. I initially saw it because I like Joe Johnston's work, but came away thinking that it was a neat enough little film and ended up buying the LD.
It was the least obnoxious of Fox's wannabes, at least (although some have better memories of FernGully than I do), and Macaulay Culkin emerges relatively unscathed compared to some of his other non-Hughes work--

Only problem, as Siskel & Ebert pointed out, was that the studio "gimmick" was going to sell a book, toy and marketing line to teach kids about the Wonders of Classic Books, and the movie never...really...gets around to mentioning books all that much--Except for mentioning their names, and pasting them onto standard wannabe movie scenes:
At one point, our hero winds up in the story of "Treasure Island", for example, and ends up running in videogamable chases from cartoon pirates; umm, that's it for classic Stevenson.
It's harmless, but "Wishbone" it ain't, and one reason nobody remembers the movie is, they can't recall anything actually having been accomplished. Eh. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 14th, 2009, 3:03 am

Thanks for the opinions on The Pagemaster. I think I initially avoided it because I thought it was mainly live action with sprinkles of animation.

I managed to track down the soundtrack but unfortunately it looks like the only way I'll get to see if is by trekking to the local video store to see if they have a copy for rent (which is highly unlikely at the moment) as it appears that it hasn't been released onto DVD in Australia and unfortunately I can't locate it on VHS on any auction sites. Pity I don't live in America, seems I may have to find alternative ways to get it.

What I've seen on YouTube it looks like an alright movie
(although some have better memories of FernGully than I do),
I remember enjoying FernGully as a young teenager and then when I became I teacher I thought for something fun I would use it as a tool to assist in teaching environmental themes. Let's just say all the kids I have shown it to over the past 8 years have enjoyed reliving their childhood and speak fondly of the movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » June 18th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Why has nobody mentioned Gay Purr-ee? This was written by animation legend Chuck Jones and I didnt even know till I found the DVD of it on a stack of movies in my house. Surely this one fits the underrated place.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 18th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Hmmm...I would argue that while it has a couple of bright moments, Gay Purr-ee is rated about right. It's heavily mediocre in a lot of its running time and can be a slog to sit through.

"Like The Phantom Tollbooth, Gay Purr-ee is a little too melancholy for its own good":
http://animated-views.com/2003/gay-purr-ee/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » June 19th, 2009, 12:49 pm

The Nutcracker Prince, totally.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mippa » November 27th, 2009, 4:09 pm

I'm surprised Watership Down hasn't been seen by more people. It was all I heard about as a teenager.

Just a few on my list:

1. The Prince of Egypt - maybe because of my religious beliefs, but I found this movie extremely touching and beautiful.

2. The Little Fox - I think this movie was originally from Denmark?

3. Brave Story - based on the Miyabe Miyuki novel, this movie was well-acted and extremely enjoyable.

4. Yes! Precure 5 the Movie - oddly a spin-off marketing move for the popular girls' sentai series, this first cinematic installment of this Precure universe was oddly moving, and, if they had gotten rid of the twin bears Hidarin and Migirin, would've been flawless. First time there was an outright death in a Precure story, I think.

5. Kiki's Delivery Service - for all the love Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle and even Princess Mononoke, Kiki still stands as my favorite Miyazaki film. I just can't get enough Jiji!

6. The Nutcracker Prince - I am totally on that bandwagon, I had never fallen so in love with a "prince" before until I saw this. Thus started my long obsession with nutcrackers.

...I feel like I'm forgetting some, somewhere...

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » November 27th, 2009, 5:47 pm

The Little Fox?

That might be Vuk from Hungary.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mippa » November 28th, 2009, 11:09 am

Yes! That's it! I knew it was from somewhere in Europe...