Very early 2008 animated preview

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 25th, 2007, 3:45 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Hopefully on a higher budget this time. :)
If memory serves, it is.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 26th, 2007, 10:20 am

For what it's worth, my take on Arthur And The Invisibles:
http://animated-views.com/2007/arthur-invisibles-dvd/

Sounds like another movie the Weisnteins took and ruined, but it made me very interested to see Luc Besson's original French cut when it comes out in July.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » May 26th, 2007, 2:04 pm

Thanks Ben :) Very insightful review - I don't know how much your perception was affected by changes made by Weinsteins but I would mostly agree with your POV (and I've seen the original cut but with Polish dubbing). This movie definitelly has its strong points and I think it's worth seeing even just for main animaed villain's look & animation/performance - really top notch! I will buy this DVD for sure (when it's released here) - well done european animated (well... partly...) features are still a rarity...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 27th, 2007, 7:35 am

How did the original cut compare, even in a foreigh language version? An extra 10 minutes of screen time could very well address some of the rushed issues I had with Arthur. Obviously the Polish version would be all new, but how did the live-action bookends work? I'm guessing these were shot for English and dubbed in France?

The French DVD, out in July, looks to have some nice packaging. Since it's a French film - it's all EuropaCorps's handling without the Weinsteins being involved - it will end up being released there in a pretty nice package, me thinks, just as The Triplets Of Belleville was, in a nice 2-disc set. Don't forget that Arthur was a massive hit there, and they treat their filmmakers well. The book series is big there anyway, and Besson is recognised as being well regarded, so his film should get much better treatment than with this R1 cut.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 13th, 2007, 10:58 pm

What do you guys think about the re-definition of "Best Animated Feature" rules? (IE: Motion Capture no longer eligible.)

I think it's a good thing, really I do. It's not that I'm trying to tear down Monster House or Happy Feet (I don't think Happy Feet was totally mo-cap anyway) or the artists who worked on them. I just think they're in a different class technically and artistically than regular, frame-by-frame animated features.

I guess it also means that a significantly smaller number of films will actually be eligible for the award, as it seems like many studios rushed into the whole mo-cap thing very quickly and already developing mo-cap films to be released in the next few years.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » June 14th, 2007, 9:19 am

ShyViolet wrote:What do you guys think about the re-definition of "Best Animated Feature" rules? (IE: Motion Capture no longer eligible.)
Well... I don't know... It's not so easy to say if this new rule really excludes movies like Monster House or Happy Feet - motion capture is just a part of animating process in such movies. There is still plenty of hard by hand key animation. Where is the border ? How to find the line where amount of use for MoCap becomes too high to consider the movie animated ? And thinking rationally - what would be more proper category for such movies than Best Animated Feature ?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 14th, 2007, 1:39 pm

Hmmm.....maybe they'll have to invent a whole new category...AGAIN! :P

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 17th, 2007, 3:13 am

Wall-E (Disney/Pixar) – June 27th
American Dog (Disney) – July 4th

Are these dates still a go? Sounds like kind of a "weird" situation--they're only one week apart.....? :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 17th, 2007, 3:59 am

No, Bolt is now scheduled for November 26, 2008.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 2nd, 2007, 10:38 pm

Early Oscar contendors?

Ratatouille
Surf's Up
Bee Movie
Meet the Robinsons
Paprika

Also, here's a cool article on Animated Oscars....from last year, :P but kind of interesting. :)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... lFrZWIvg==

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 3rd, 2007, 1:45 am

My money is on The Simpsons Movie. And unlike last time, I won't change my mind. (Monster House/Cars)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 3rd, 2007, 11:00 am

I can’t see how Ratatouille won't win...Unless they choose the winner based on how environmentally friendly the message is instead of on the quality of the actual film. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by avelinforl32 » July 23rd, 2007, 12:25 am

!!!!!Horton Hears a Who and the live action Alvin and the Chipmunks will both be attached to The Simpsons Movie on july 27!!!!!!!!!!

i can't wait to see it,i really looking foward for horton hears a who :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 23rd, 2007, 2:37 am

Aren't we all? ;)

Should be interesting to see more of Alvin. Who knows, it might look cuter.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 23rd, 2007, 9:22 am

HA! Right.