Random questions

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

DW

Post by ShyViolet » December 13th, 2004, 11:51 pm

Despite being a fan of DW I kind of have to agree...too many animal comedies with "in-jokes"--SharkTale, Madagascar, Over the Hedge, AND Father of the Pride. (if you count it) Oh and that rat movie...Flushed Away. More opportunities for toilet humor...literally.

I wish they would go back to making 2-d "epics" but maybe make them more appealing to the masses (not that I didn't like them) with more humor maybe. Or....dare I say it....fairy tales?? :P I don't see how that can be ripping off Disney because there was never a rule that said other studios can't do fairy tales either. :roll: (The Swan Princess was a fairy tale, the Hobbit was...kind of a fairy tale....also the Last Unicorn....maybe the DW should go that route and do fantasy! Katzenberg did say that he is very jealous of Peter Jackson. :wink: )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Guardstone » December 14th, 2004, 2:49 pm

Violet, critical towards DW... Whoopee! ;)
But Dreamworks and fairy tales? Hardly believable and utterly lacking integrity after the Shrek films... DW is so busy making sure their films lack true magic and makebelieve, they would (and should, I feel) fail miserably at attempting a flirt with the fairytale genre.

I think you hit the mark on 'epic', though. Somehow DW is extremely afraid of going anywhere near that word. To me, however, it's exactly that epic nature (of various proportions) that make Pixar films so irresistible. In Pixar films, things that happen seem to matter, and nothing is achieved without great adversity. Events and other characters actually matter to the characters, and through great storytelling and animation, they get to matter to the audience.
In Shark Tale, who actually cared about the fish (I don't even know his name)? That may have been the most epical film Dreamworks to date (with Spirit and Antz up there too), but honestly... did anyone seeing that film involve themselves in the characters?

Personally (going back to Tusker here) I think I could really go for an epic tale about elephants, these amazing large animals with great family ties that travel long distances and have to find themselves safety from hunters that merely wish to kill them for their tusks. Dramatic sequences galore!
Whatever vision Katzenberg ever had -questionable I'd say, to me the magic of animation comes from the creatives 'on the floor', but hey...- he certainly lost it. It's a shame Tusker got canned.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

JK

Post by ShyViolet » December 14th, 2004, 10:14 pm

I think he has a lot of talent but that it hasn't been channeled right lately. I prefered the 2d DW films over the 3d and I hope they go back to that. :P I think it's kind of true that there is just too much world-weariness and not enough wonder...(ahhhh I can't believe I just said that) :shock:

I loved Shrek and Shrek 2 but a 3 AND a 4??? That's just too much.
I'd love for them to go back to the Bible, which they did very well...POE and Joseph RULE.

I think the trouble is not that they are trying to embrace live action as a model for storytelling but that they don't do it enough. They should go either one way or the other--an live-action inspired world mostly for adults, or a film for "everyone" that's for kids too. They are trying too hard to shrug off traditions in animation yet they don't really explore new narrative techniques. I really really don't enjoy saying this but they ARE trying to have their cake and eat it too...and unfortunately, the taste is kind of...muddled.

The Shrek films work because they pretty much go all the way....I think the problem with POE (though I loved it) is that it didn't go far enough. It tried too hard to please. It was too short, too Disney-fied. They kept saying that they were inspired by DeMille, but there really wasn't much of him in there. AHHHHHHH....I should shoot myself for saying these things!!!!! :wink:
Maybe if they did fairy tales, but "darker" ones like the original Grimm brothers versions, I think that would work well. OR adapt fantasy novels, maybe even comic books. But IMO, it should be clearer who the target audience is.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 15th, 2004, 12:39 am

Very insiteful, Violet!

I'm surprised to read such things comin' from you :wink:

Sadly, yes, DW is suffering from one of the most deadly diseases in film making - if they like it, give them much much MUCH more.

Perhaps choosing a genre would be a good idea...however i think the problem lies more in their overall quality. I feel as if DW doesn't think through their stories completely and they wind up feeling...90% completed too often.

The only "formula" a studio should follow, is one with integrity.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Does anyone remember.......The Legend of Prince Valiant

Post by SirGawain » December 15th, 2004, 7:31 pm

:D Hi!

Does anyone remember that animated series The Legend of Prince Valiant? I'm a big fan, and watch the show over and over!
It's really great. I have good copies of all 65 episodes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 15th, 2004, 9:01 pm

If you are a fan, then why are you selling your video collection?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Wasnt there a Mickey Mouse movie in the early 90's??

Post by Phiphi118 » December 15th, 2004, 10:45 pm

Hi!! I'm new here but I vaguely remember a Mickey Mouse movie coming out around 93-94 But It wasnt Disney friendly infact I think it was geared towards other kids. Something about Mickey having an insane brother or something! like that. I was young then and I cant quite remember the Name of it But if any one does remember it please tell me!! THANX!!! :wink:

Phiphi :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 15th, 2004, 10:54 pm

Welcome to the group!

The film to which you're referring is called "Runaway Brain" and it was an animated short that was released in '95 along with "A Goofy Movie" (that was overseas, i believe...it was attached to another film in the U.S. that i can't recall now...but i'm sure i'll be corrected soon enough :wink: )

Here's a little info about it at imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114308/

The short has been recently released on DVD in the "Disney Treasures" line...specifically "Mickey Mouse in Living Color: Vol 2"

...hope that helps!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SirGawain » December 16th, 2004, 12:16 am

I would never sell mine.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » December 16th, 2004, 8:44 am

Stego wrote:Welcome to the group!

The film to which you're referring is called "Runaway Brain" and it was an animated short that was released in '95 along with "A Goofy Movie" (that was overseas, i believe...it was attached to another film in the U.S. that i can't recall now...but i'm sure i'll be corrected soon enough :wink: )

Here's a little info about it at imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114308/

The short has been recently released on DVD in the "Disney Treasures" line...specifically "Mickey Mouse in Living Color: Vol 2"

...hope that helps!
It was attached to A Kid in King Arthur's Court in the U.S.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 16th, 2004, 5:24 pm

I did a review of that set for DVD Toons:
http://www.dvdtoons.com/reviews/297

Great set - Runaway Brain (from which my current avatar is taken!) is shown in Dolby Surround, and original 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

another 1990's Mickey film ..

Post by droosan » December 16th, 2004, 9:39 pm

There was also a Mickey Mouse 'featurette' titled THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER, released in 1990. It has the distinction of being the last Mickey Mouse cartoon to be fully produced in the Burbank studio .. RUNAWAY BRAIN was produced mostly at the Paris studio, while THE THREE MUSKETEERS was made mainly in Australia.

THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER was also the last major Disney film to be made using the 'classic' traditional animation methods: inked-&-painted cels, multiplane camera, the whole bit. Coincidentally, it was paired for release with THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER, which was Disney's first feature to be made entirely using the CAPS digital ink-&-paint system (though CAPS had already been used for a couple of shots in 1989's THE LITTLE MERMAID, that film was made primarily with 'classic' traditional ink-&-paint).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 16th, 2004, 10:28 pm

macontosh2000 wrote:It was attached to A Kid in King Arthur's Court in the U.S.
Thanks, Mac :wink:

And thanks for that great additional info, Droosan (welcome!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Converting to Adobe PDF

Post by mr. squarepants » December 16th, 2004, 11:28 pm

Could someone please help me in converting some documents into Adobe PDF's? Unfortunately, I don't have the disk for the documents. Instead, I only have scans of them.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 16th, 2004, 11:33 pm

I could help you...do you want to email me your scans? or can you post them somewhere online?