Random questions

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » April 4th, 2006, 4:39 pm

I've got dial-up at home, so I generally use my computer at work to download stuff. They don't mind, as long as its background usage.

Listening to a podcast at work is a different case.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Animusic!

Post by Meg » April 9th, 2006, 8:53 am

Too cool not to share.

Click

We watched a video of their stuff in music class last year and it was just so awesome. Anyone else familiar with their work?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 9th, 2006, 11:02 am

Very cool. Here's their website and another downloadable version of the video:

http://www.animusic.com/
http://www2.ati.com/misc/demos/ATI-9700 ... e-v1.0.mpg

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 9th, 2006, 11:13 am

Thanks. I've been thinking about buying one of the DVDs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 21st, 2006, 11:33 am

I just got the second DVD in the mail the other day after receiving number one a few weeks before. I think I like the firs tone better but the second is cool too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 21st, 2006, 11:37 am

That was rad

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

What does "off model" mean?

Post by ShyViolet » May 8th, 2006, 12:32 am

I hear this expression used a lot with animation. Not wanting to sound ignorant :wink: but what exactly does it mean? I'm just really interested.

Thanks.

:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » May 8th, 2006, 12:44 am

Haha. It's not being ignorant. I didn't know what it meant either until I looked it up for ya.

Basically, if a character is drawn "off model", it hasn't been drawn the way it's supposed to look.

Here's what I found. It'll explain what I just said much better:

"off model" example

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » May 8th, 2006, 1:17 am

Off model just means a character that you drew so badly that it isn't acceptable to be an official use of the character.

So if you're an animator, and you draw the character off-model, then you or someone's going to probably have to re-animate the scene. And you need to go back and re-learn your lessons as to how to draw that character.

Some shots make it through. You'll notice a few shots in Beauty and the Beast where Belle is off-model. The Beast as a prince is really off-model in the last couple of shots of the movie.

Walt Disney, fed up with all the shots where Ichabod Crane was drawn off-model, remarked "I didn't know we had so many different Ichabods in this movie."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 8th, 2006, 7:00 am

To explain a bit more, Vi...

Over the course of an animated movie (traditionally, of course), one single animator does not draw the entire film for their assigned character. So model sheets are made, usually much more elaborate than the one above, that show all angles and expressions the character might go through in the movie's story.

Thus, when it gets passed down to the assistant animators and in-betweeners, everyone can get the look right...as much as possible!

The scene where Belle tends to Beast's wounds in fron of the fireplace is one of the more glaring off model shots of recent times, where she looks to have put some chubby weight on and almost looks like a different person.

Also, check out Fox's new "Family Fun" edition of Anastasia and tell me if you don't think the cover looks like one of those $1.99 bargain basement animated rip-off versions rather than Bluth's original design - hideous!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 8th, 2006, 8:02 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 8th, 2006, 1:29 pm

There's one shot of Simba in the Lion King that is off-model that has always rubbed me the wrong way.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 8th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Is it during "I Just Can't Wait to be King"?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 8th, 2006, 3:20 pm

Mmm, the one I'm thinking of is during Can You Feel the Love Tonight. He's on the left side of the screen looking to the right towards Nala.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » May 8th, 2006, 4:26 pm

Speaking of "off-model"... Nala is completely off-model in the scenes she is in in "The Lion King 1 1/2".
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!