Random questions

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » November 19th, 2004, 1:27 am

Well, I did not think it was spam either, since I was just trying to get people to sign up for a worthy cause. Still, even that apology which I issued to several groups was not acceptable in the man's eyes, due to the "Note to forums and messageboards in which my message is still up..." part of the apology. He referred to it as a "blanket apology", and quite frankly, made me feel very sad and guilty.

James and Ben, could you please shed some light on this dilemma? Should I feel sad and guilty, or is my apology, which I meant, acceptable?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2004, 8:35 am

I was fine with it.

You posted it in GenDis, and the way I see it, isn't spam usually from when a new member suddenly pops up on a forum and starts saying how great a certain product is?

I mean, it's usually someone promoting stuff.

In this case, it's not really promoting a website (or at least one that is a commercial entity), but a project based on personal research. I don't see that as spam at all.

As someone who has previously had an alcoholic in my close family, and having lost both my Aunt and Uncle to cancer recently, it's also a subject that strikes a chord with me, and I also wish you the best of luck with your paper.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » November 19th, 2004, 6:51 pm

Thanks, Ben. I guess some people viewed my message as spam, since I did join some Yahoo! groups on cancer and alcoholism basically just to post the first message in this thread. However, like you said, I was just trying to get people to take a survey. They didn't even have to join my group. Still, now that I think about it, I have seen several "Take a survey and win something"-type pop-ups and spam messages, so the members and moderators may have thought my message was one of those.

Anyway, my intention was not at all to post spam. I have apologized to those groups who viewed it as spam, and hope that they accepted the apology.

Thanks again for your input, Ben. I am sorry to hear about your Aunt and Uncle passing away.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Need Help w/Balto DVD!

Post by Chaya » November 25th, 2004, 2:56 am

Hey ya'll, I was wondering if any of you could help me with my Balto DVD (Region 1). It says on the DVD that the only way to see the bonus materials is through a DVD-ROM drive. So, naturally I tried this and it's a no go! It's almost like the DVD 'thinks' that it's in just a DVD player. I've tried the DVD on a few other computers and still got the same thing: a menu screen telling me that bonus materials can only be accessed via DVD-ROM. I've tried running it in Power DVD, Interactual Player 2.0, and Windows Media, and none were successful. I have a newer computer, so it shouldn't have a problem running anything. Does anyone else have this problem? Better yet, does anyone have a solution? Any help would be much appreciated!
"May traditional animation live long and prosper!"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 25th, 2004, 1:28 pm

Welcome to the new boards.

Sorry, but I have just as much trohble with you when opening DVD ROM material.

I've found that, when it works, InterActual Player is probably the one that works best, but usually when I try to watch the movie through it, the whole thing dies on me.

Actually, I wasn't aware that the Balto disc HAD any extras, anyways.

Let us know how you get on. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 10th, 2004, 12:34 am

Hey, Everyone

I hate posting things that look like SPAM. However, I really need some help. My Yahoo! group has sixteen members, but my goal was to get twenty members. If you don't mind, I really would appreciate your joining my group. You don't have to be a member long- just for a week or so. When I make my presentation on Monday, I would love to be able to say that I reached my goal. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alcoholis ... r_project/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 10th, 2004, 10:10 am

These are pretty intese and personal subjects Mr SP.

I think you can only get as many as you can and not try and plead your case for a school paper.

Yes, it's important, but not as important as the feelings of those you are asking to participate. Opening up such deep wounds isn't something a lot of people are willing to do just to help out a friend with a school project.

Hope you do well. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 10th, 2004, 2:42 pm

I wish I didn't have such a curse of not being able to state my intentions clearly. I see what you mean, Ben, and I totally agree. I didn't mean for my post to seem inconsiderate. What I mean was that... well, let me give you an example:

"Bob" does not have any friends or relatives with cancer or alcoholism. However, "Bob" wants to help me out, so he joins my group, in order to raise my group's membership total up.

Thus, "Bob" will get to read some interesting information from my group in case he ever does have a friend or relative with cancer or alcoholism. Meanwhile, my group will get more members, which would hopefully result in it getting more respect as well.

I hate to seem so... cold. But when you have put so much time and thought into something that people either seem to ignore or send you angry- or threatening- e-mails about, you get a little tense and desperate to achieve your goals.

Nonetheless, I am sorry that I may have hurt someone. If it makes you feel any better, both of my parents were diagnosed with cancer when I was around twelve years old. I also had a grandmother and grandfather die from cancer. I didn't want to bring this information up, because I didn't feel like it needed to be brought up. However, I have received some messages asking or telling me things to the extent of, "Why did you choose this subject?" or "You're probably hurting someone's feelings...." Let me make this clear: I do not mean to hurt anyone. I know how it feels to have parents and grandparents with cancer. I am not some ignorant college student who gets a kick out of getting personal info from people, while crushing their feelings.

I am not saying that you implied this, Ben. However, I have received some messages from other people who did. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 10th, 2004, 8:37 pm

In no way was I having a go at you for your post, and I am glad that you could see that.

These ARE brave subjects to take on (and deal with) and I admire your doing so.

I see what you meant about the "Bob" example. My understanding was that you needed people with some experience of these subjects to come forward and participate.

As noted above, I have had to deal with both, numerous times, and to varying degrees of being involved and subsequently affected. Though I personally do not wish to delve back into those times and feelings, I hope your topic goes well on Monday.

Good luck. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 10th, 2004, 9:02 pm

Thanks, Ben.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Whatever happened to Tusker?

Post by Guardstone » December 13th, 2004, 2:30 pm

2004 was the year that should have seen the release of Dreamworks' animated feature "Tusker" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286251/). We're nearing the end of the year, and still no elephant in sight. Does anybody know where and why this production got stuck in development hell?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2004, 3:21 pm

From what I know, wasn't this going to be a 2D film, to follow Spirit and Sinbad?

It's possible this has been canned in the switch to CGI.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Guardstone » December 13th, 2004, 4:32 pm

Hmm... that sounds likely. It was supposed to be directed by Tim Johnson, and he clearly moved on to Over The Hedge, and he probably switched to Sinbad years ago, so I guess Tusker was abandoned a long time ago.

Strange though, I could actually see the merit in going completely 3D on this one, there is something quite magical about elephants, and seeing them majesticaly displayed on a cinema screen with the tangibility of cgi would certainly make for quite the experience. I've pretty much seen enough shallow humour from Dreamworks Animation, they could certainly use a new direction.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2004, 4:34 pm

AGREED! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 13th, 2004, 10:20 pm

Hmm...IMDB suggests that if i like "Tusker" then i'd probably like "Polar Express"...that must mean they used motion captured elephants who want to discover the meaning of Christmas in Asia :wink:

(And i agree as well in regards to DW needing a new direction!)