Random questions

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

I DEMAND an explination to this picture.

Post by Macaluso » December 18th, 2004, 11:04 am

GAZOO, DAFFY, AAAAND ZOIDBERG?! EXPLAIN ANIMATION AFFICIANDOS!
Last edited by Macaluso on December 18th, 2004, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » December 18th, 2004, 1:41 pm

It's Gazoo, not Kazoo.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 18th, 2004, 2:10 pm

The files can be pretty big to send through e-mail. However, this still could work. If you don't mind, I will post the files (titled "The Report") in my Yahoo! group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alcoholis ... r_project/ around 3:00pm today. Then, if you could, I really would appreciate your converting them into PDF files, whenever you get the chance. Thank you very, very much, Stego. I really appreciate your help.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 18th, 2004, 2:59 pm

Stego, sorry about the delay, but it won't be until about 3:30 when I will those files posted. Once again, I am sorry about the delay.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 18th, 2004, 7:44 pm

Well, for a start...

Where'd you find this pic?

I don't know, but it looks like a fan mock-up. Daffy's pretty off model.

Also, I'd say it was a spoof on the jedi Council scenes from Phantom Menace. The way they are all sitting in their seats is very similar, and the expansive busy cityscape out the windows certainly is.

Can't really tell from how small it is, but I vaguely recall the other characters sitting in their too, especially the dragon thing on the left, and isn;t that a Harry Knowles lookalikey in back? Can't make out the kid though, but the bird-like thing is from the Bugs Bunny/Marvin shorts.

Looks like this would have come from somewhere where Daffy was on trial by other cartoon space characters. Like I say...I'd be interested where you found it, since it could shed some light!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SingingDuckGirl » December 18th, 2004, 7:46 pm

macontosh2000 wrote:
It was attached to A Kid in King Arthur's Court in the U.S.
Wow, that's odd, because I've never seen that movie but I remember seeing Runaway Brain in theaters. Until now I had thought I remembered it in front of Hercules. Maybe not though. I was really young too. But I have it on DVD now! :)
Dad-Gum!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » December 18th, 2004, 9:43 pm

http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/new ... rones2.jpg

Here's the image's link.

http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/newcartoons

Here's the image cache for a BUNCH of images.

http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com

Here's the website, where I have no idea where to find the images from the cache.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 19th, 2004, 12:11 am

Don't worry about the delay, due to the closing of the computer lab for the holidays, i might have to get a little....creative...with how i get this done. That being said, what's the latest you want these?

i can still do this...just not in the lightening fast speed i could a few days ago. now it might take...a few hours instead of a few minutes :wink: that's why i'm asking when you need them.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 19th, 2004, 12:46 am

Well...i found the page with those pics on them: http://looney.goldenagecartoons.com/ltnews.html

The page says these are "new" Looney Tunes yet to be released in the US and that they were produced by Larry Doyle...and i quote: "These cartoons have yet to be released on video/DVD in the United States (except for "Whizzard of Ow"), but have been released on the Region 4 (Australian) DVD of Looney Tunes: Back in Action. Some have also recently been broadcast on Canadian television."

Here's the definition of that Daffy cartoon from someone on imdb: "Duck Dodgers in Attack of the Drones puts our heroe Duck Dodgers, voiced by Billy West, In a parody With Star Wars Episode II. The Galactic republic senate, (which features cameos from the sci fi genre) needs an army to stop an impending invasion. From Here, Dodgers goes to the local 'Clone O Matic' and creates one hundred duplicates of himself.
The cartoon has alot of funny site gags and tries very hard to meet the standards of the golden cartoons, It does not meet with the classic "Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century" but it is still very funny. Comparing it to the original, This one has alot of computer animation for Invaders, Space Crafts, Drones and the like and it lacks the layout designs of Maurice Noble as seen in many space-set Looney Tunes. A very good cartoon worth a watch."

So, Ben, you hit the nail on the head! :D

Although i should note that imdb does not list Billy West as Daffy's voice...it's Jeff Bennett.

Doyle is also credited for being a writer/producer on The Simpsons, a writer for Daria and Beavis & Butthead...and he wrote/executive produced Looney Tunes: Back in Action (among other things...)

I'm going to assume WB felt Doyle did a good job with the movie and let him take his hand at the shorts. (which i think is a good move since i felt that Back in Action was a very good effort in re-creating the Looney Tunes humor...resulting in a much more redeeming film than Space Jam)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 19th, 2004, 1:08 am

Sorry to post again...but i just found something of interest.

i was going to ask if anyone here had seen a newer Looney Tunes installment done back in '92 called "Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers"...(pretty funny toon...i believe it might be on the Space Jam DVD, but don't quote me on that)

Well, i was just looking for more info on it and i found out that the voice of Porky was done by a Mr. Noel Blanc....Mel Blanc's son??!!!

Wow! I must be out of the loop cuz i didn't know Mel Blanc HAD a son...let alone one who did voice overs...LET ALONE for the same characters his father had done! Nuts! This is like the coolest thing since Jim Henson's son accepted the torch of Kermit!

I'm not sure how accurate imdb.com is usually...but, unless they dont have all of his work listed, he hasn't done too much. Yet one would think otherwise with the circumstances being as they are. *shrug* Still, that's pretty darn cool, IMO.
"When cartoonists draw, they should strive to create enduring images. These images are extremely important, and we have to keep growing and getting better." -Charles Schulz

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 20th, 2004, 10:14 am

Clearing up two facts:

Ahh...I see it all now! In the run up to Back In Action, Larry Doyle was hired to come up with a new series of Looney Tunes cartoons BEFORE that release, some of which were made, some of which were not, and some of which were made buy not released. The first was going to be a Tweety/Sylvester one called Museum Screaum, but was switched for The Whizzard Of Ow.

Apparently, and as the link above says, the ones that got finished were actually pretty funny, so they say. Unfortunately, WB doesn't know what to do with them - the plan was to issue them on the front of "family friendly" features such as Back In Action, Harry Potter, and The Polar Express, but so far...nothing.

Pretty cool that I nailed a description of the 'toon from a single pic though! Haha! ;)

Mel Blanc does have a son, Noel, who can be seen working with Mel on the Roger Rabbit special, The Secrets Of ToonTown (sadly not on last year's Vista DVD). He can do Mel's characters perfectly, and it's strange why he is never really used as his replacement. However, this probably lies mostly in the fact that the Blanc family - headed by Noel - got into some legal tangling with WB over the use of his father's voice on mixed media releases (like Louis Prima's wife did with Disney on the video release of The Jungle Book). Though WB retained the right to use Mel wherever they liked (VHS, DVD, archive CD recordings, extras, etc), it put an end to Noel's vocal sessions.

Finally (:)), Brian Henson didn't really technically pick up the torch of Kermit. Yes, he took over the running - with his sisters - of the company, and he directed Christmas Carol, but only reluctantly because Frank Oz didn't want to spend too much time on it (other than turn up, perform as Piggy and Fozzie, and go home). On Treasure Island, much of the direction was left to David Lane (this from the horses mouth) while Brian was off, **apparantly** out of his head. As for Kermit, it's Muppeteer Steve Whitmire who's really be instrumental in keeping Kermit "centered" and as lovable as ever, since he stepped into the void left by Jim and bravely carried on (and a good job he does too, I think)!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 20th, 2004, 10:17 am

Quite possible you saw it with something else too.

Runaway Brain played with A Goofy Movie (oversees and in some US prints), and Disney are known for recycling their lesser seen shorts.

RollerCoaster Rabbit, which was originally attached to Dick Tracy, popped up again on the front of Toy Story, while I've seen Off His Rockers - originally with Honey, I Blew Up The Kid - on something else too. Another Roger Rabbit cartoon, Trail Mix-Up, which was with A Far Off Place, has also been re-run with other features, so no reason that Runaway Brain couldn't have been run with others too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » December 20th, 2004, 12:21 pm

Whoever did Kermit when Kermit was the guest host on Jimmy Kimmel Live for a week did a very good job. I was impressed. They seemed to have the character and the voice nailed perfectly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » December 20th, 2004, 6:57 pm

A couple of days before January 1 would be great. I hate to give you such a "generalized" answer, but I don't want to rush you. What you are doing is very, very generous, Stego. I hope you know that I appreciate it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » December 21st, 2004, 12:18 am

Well, i see i should clarify my points more from now on... :wink:

When i wrote that Henson's son picked up the torch...i meant in reference to his voice (since i was comparing it to how Blanc's son picked up the voices in a similar manner). Until now i was under the impression that Brian Henson did the voice of Kermit...obviously i was wrong :oops: Sorry for the mis-info.

But thanks just the same, Ben for clarifying and adding those interesting bits of info too. I was looking up the specs on Back in Action, and "Wizard of Ow" is on there...i might have to check that out sometime...

That's a shame about those other toons...i think they should put cartoon shorts before features again. Also a shame about the Blanc family...that reminds me (unless i'm mistaken) about how Ben Edlund had to change certain character names for the live-action "Tick" because of a rights issue with Fox from the animated series. (which is strange since Fox Kids ran that show...and Fox ran the live-action one...i.e. American Maid to Capt. Liberty & Man-eating Cow to Apocalypse Cow)