Random questions

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 21st, 2005, 2:20 pm

Hmm...I'm sure knowing how to direct a live action film would be helpful... As far as directing an animated feature, though, it's something that I'm interested, too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 21st, 2005, 2:26 pm

One can't just jump in and direct an animated feature ot start running a studio!

Look at all the big names directing now...they all started out under someone else and worked up - it's the only way to do things. Best advice would be to find a placement at an animation studio.

Can you draw? Silly question may be, but it's going to be essential to get your ideas across and design things. Anyway, get in to a place and learn the ropes. Make your own animated shorts. I don't know anyone out there working today that has NOT created their own animation of some kind.

Put your ideas together and get them out there. Get them noticed. And be prepared to work, work, work and keep trying. It's taken me two and a half years of hard grafting to have my project picked up and we're now going into prep to start next year, so also be prepared for it to take a while.

A live-action background is pretty good to have, but just remember that you can do so much more in animation!

Good luck! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » December 21st, 2005, 2:55 pm

I have the same questions, Bebop. If you have any skill with drawing or animating I'd say concentrate on cultivating that. Also, network a lot. If you can't draw but feel like you'd still like to direct animation then keep all of your live action knowledge, get to know people in animation, look for community college courses in animation production, work on individual projects, etc. It can be done.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bebopgroove » December 22nd, 2005, 1:49 am

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will defenitely keep all this in mind :) It may be difficult getting there, but I'm bound and determined, and I'll do whatever it takes :wink:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v162/bebopgroove/anim.gif[/img]
"...I could never leave this forest, but I must know if I am the only unicorn left in the world."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Guardstone » January 1st, 2006, 10:50 pm

Like Ben said, for as much as I know, pretty much the only way is working your way up in a studio, or getting noticed for a well made animated short. The point is... if you want to direct features, prepare for at least 15 years of hard work in a studio as something else. Your first goal should be getting inside a studio in the first place.

For the first route I'd recommend not only drawing skills, but more importantly learning about telling stories. Directors are first and foremost storytellers. Most directors I know of were at one point in their career story artists, and as you may well know, no matter what medium (live action or animation) story is key. Read books on the subject, analyse films etc. Also learn a lot about storyboarding.

If you want to make an animated short, you obviously need to master all the required skills (drawing, software skills, storytelling, cinematography, editing etc.) which will probably be even more work, but it will be very rewarding. Don't forget though, the same priority goes here: story is key!

Recommended reading:
Producing Animation
Inspired 3D Short Film Production

These books will teach you much of what you expected to learn from that college course.

Good luck!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » January 2nd, 2006, 5:38 am

All the great animation directors started out with pencil and paper. I think you should draw a lot. All day everyday, draw anything you see.

Lino

constant errors for Apple trailers

Post by Lino » January 18th, 2006, 2:42 pm

When ever I attempt to play an apple movie trailer I get a symbol of a broken peice of film or I get a notice that a bad movie atom has been found. Does this happen to anyone else?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 18th, 2006, 10:58 pm

Try updating your QuickTime player to the latest version.

Lino

Post by Lino » January 19th, 2006, 7:25 am

bingo! Thanks :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

How can I See Animated Shorts?

Post by numairhawk » January 31st, 2006, 10:50 pm

How does one get to see these oscar nominated gems? I don't know where to find them. Or even past winners, the only one I know is Wallace and Gromit.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 31st, 2006, 11:04 pm

You can see Knick Knack on the Finding Nemo DVD.

A Bug's Life has Geri's Game.

Monsters Inc has For the Birds.

I think www.pixar.com has a lot of the older shorts like Luxo and Red's Dream that you can download. :wink:

http://www.pixar.com/shorts/index.html

The shorts aren't in complete form there, you have to buy their feature films for that! :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 1st, 2006, 1:17 am

I think they are asking about the recent Oscar nominated shorts.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 1st, 2006, 7:42 am

I'm interested in seeing them, too...I know some small theater by me usually plays the Oscar-nominated shorts, so I'll have to see if I can drag my parents to that.

Oh, and Hawk,"One Man Band" will be playing in front of "Cars", though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 1st, 2006, 1:03 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » February 1st, 2006, 4:10 pm

Many of Pixar's shorts (but not current nominee One Man Band) can be purchased on the Apple music store for playing in iTunes or on your iPod.

Also a number of Disney oscar-nominated shorts, including The Old Mill, Brave Little Tailor and The Three Little Pigs.