Random questions

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » February 4th, 2006, 11:32 am

Great information, George C.

No, I wouldn't concentrate on 2-D either, as you'll be competing for jobs against some of the most skilled hands in the world.

You wouldn't want to be in an interview up against someone who animated a famous traditional character.

Yep, it's a lot of work, and that's IF you get work.

If you like the arts, get a broad arts education. There's good work in the arts. But learn a heck of a lot more than just animation.

You've really got to burn to do this for a living. And you'll need healthy doses of both luck and talent.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 5th, 2006, 6:37 pm

I realize that's there's little to no market for 2-D animation anymore (I never mentioned which medium I wanted to work in, actually) and I think the idea of being a CGI animator would be pretty cool.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » February 6th, 2006, 2:30 pm

To tell you the truth it doesn't really matter which school you go to to get a job. I happen to like my program here in Sheridan that's why I reccomend it :) I'm sure if you talk to Cal Arts people they'd tell you the same thing, "Go to Calarts!"

What matters now if you want to get a job is just a good portfolio and a solid understanding and knowledge of both 2d and 3d. Nowadays the industry seems to like you to understand, 3D programs and Flash.

What's wrong with competing with the pros for the job, GeorgeC? That's the parcel and pakage of the industry. My character design teacher jibed at me saying that I'd be his competition in two years. Plus the industry loves new blood. New blood from new schools that can churn better stuff that the older pros are preffered.Plus the new kids USUALLY knows more about the softwares and such better than the old pros.

I forgot one thing to say for Meg, whether you want to be a 2d animator or 3d animator, you'd want to get a school that's hands on. Some animation programmes in certain universities tends to focus more on theories rather than the actual animating or anything related to production. Make sure you read the curriculum on those promotional pamphlets carefully if you want to be a "commercial" animator (ie working for Dreamworks and Disney and Pixar) Those places would rather take students from a "hands on" college animation program (with a good portfolio) than a person with a degree without ANY portfolio.

If you take an animation course that's loaded more with theories, you'll prolly bound to be one of those animation teachers who doesn't know how to animate. They *theoretically* knows how to do it but when faced with pencil and paper orcomputer, they're sort of stuck and in awe. (we have one here in Sheridan. The person can be really annoying how that person tries to assert the fact that the person is a teacher)

Seneca College in Toronto is good for 3d animation I heard. It's still in Canadaand slightly cheaper than Sheridan. Centennial college in Vancouver is also hunted by the industry pros.(and cheaper too) Plus there's no snow in Vancouver :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 6th, 2006, 4:27 pm

I could use a place with no snow...*sighs and looks out window* ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 7th, 2006, 10:31 pm

I wish that "A Christmas Caper" had been nominated this year. Oh, wait, have I said that already?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 8th, 2006, 8:13 am

Eh, I don't. It was funny, but I'm sure the other shorts were nominated for a reason. Personally, I'm hoping 9 or One Man Band will win. They both look friggin' awesome.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

A What should be/could be Movie Question

Post by bw1979 » March 15th, 2006, 2:06 pm

You know with all of the children's/famliy books being made into features lately , the most recent being Curious Geroge, I've been wondering when the Berenstain Bears will ever get a movie and what would it be like (plot-wise, what new or old characters will be featured alongside the Bear Family, and what kind of music will used) for kids and family of all ages to enjoy at the theaters or at home (if direct to video).
And mostly who would release it (studio)

I'm curious about that, anyone have any ideas or suggestions of their own.

God Bless.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 22nd, 2006, 5:03 pm

Weren't there short-length films released on PBS a long, long time ago?

Had this one episode on tape where Brother Bear doesn't want to play baseball but is pressured into it by Papa Bear. Like I said, this was a long time ago, probably the late 80's.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Senior Animators?

Post by Dacey » March 26th, 2006, 2:27 pm

Say, this is a really stupid question, but it's been bugging me, so I'm going to ask it here.

(clears throat)

What exactly is a Senior Animator? In the credits, they're usually listed above a character's Supervising Animator. Anyone have any idea what their job is?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » March 29th, 2006, 7:35 pm

i dunno sit around and grumble at the younger ones?

*koff*

right. What is it neeways? My speculation is they're the supervisors of the supervisor. Kinda like a conductor. Correct me if im'm wrong

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Podcast question

Post by Phil » April 3rd, 2006, 4:37 pm

Let me start by saying that I have very little techno savvy.

I have recently started listening to podcasts. I have a Pocket PC running Windows Mobile 2003 and I use the Windows Media player to listen to podcasts. (I download them as mp3's.)

I have been trying to figure out how to get the podcast from o-meon and have been thus far unsuccessful. Is it possible to download it as an mp3 or convert it to an mp3? What am I doing wrong?

(By the way, the animation podcast has the first part of an interview with Glen Keane. I've already downloaded it, and I'm looking forward to listening.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 3rd, 2006, 5:29 pm

The o-meon podcast looks like it is only available in AAC (MP4) format. You'll need Quicktime to hear it on your computer, and an iPod to hear it on the go. I don't think a Pocket PC running Windows Mobile 2003 or Windows Media player do AAC.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » April 4th, 2006, 2:35 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » April 4th, 2006, 8:33 am

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info anyway.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 4th, 2006, 11:13 am

Quicktime is available for Windows, so you can hear it on your computer. If you have iTunes installed then you can listen to it using that too.