AV Forum Member

Cal Arts takes on Mo-Cap!

Post by ShyViolet » May 17th, 2007, 5:44 am

(not really :wink:)

But they did make this hilarious video about what IF they taught Mo-Cap:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cartoon-cult ... t-of-mocap

:lol:

FYI: Glen Keane's in it! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 17th, 2007, 7:05 am

Ooh, can't wait to watch it! (Vids don't work on school computers.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 17th, 2007, 7:22 am

I think you'll like it Meg! :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » May 17th, 2007, 9:31 am

:D now thats funny!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 17th, 2007, 2:37 pm

That's cool, without going overboard. And Glen as a mo-cap Ariel is a classic image. )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 17th, 2007, 4:09 pm

HA! Brilliant! :D

I love the the description under Glen's name - "World's Best Animator". :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 17th, 2007, 10:45 pm

I hope people like Spielberg, Zemeckis and Miller see this short film and snap back to their senses....:roll:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 17th, 2007, 11:26 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I hope people like Spielberg, Zemeckis and Miller see this short film and snap back to their senses....:roll:

No, they won't.

These people are all about MAKING MONEY.

They don't care if the new films don't match the artistry and drawing of the films made 60+ years ago... That's NEVER been the point of DreamWorks or current Disney management.

Again, don't be so naive, guys.

Mo-Cap is all about cutting down the number of people needed to make a film. It's NEVER been about artistry, period. IF a film can be cranked out faster with a crew that's one-quarter the size it took before, all the better.

The sad part is that the salaries of the executives that order these things will NEVER go down. Staff will be cut and salaries for the actual production guys will go down, but the top guys will NEVER see their salaries go down.

And you know what the real topper of this is? They're using the excuse that they want to control film production costs and keep crew sizes down by using this crummy technology, but the actual film budgets are going to stay as bloated as they ever were!

Makes you wonder where all that production money is really going to... If our governments weren't on the payrolls of a bunch of multimedia interest groups, they might be uncovering a REAL scam there.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, folks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 18th, 2007, 12:13 am

I totally agree with most of what you said George, but just had to point out that it was Spielberg, not DWA, who took to mo-cap.

DWA has tried to adapt mo-cap and ended up rejecting it. That's why we saw Steven exec producing Monster House....at Sony. :P :roll:

(I'm not saying DWA is "perfect" or anything--I don't particularly like how they're pushing 3-d right now, but I guess everyone has their faults, right? :wink:)

But yeah: it's so weird to think of Spielberg and Zemeckis, who both helped shape Roger Rabbit, one of the greatest animated films of all time, embrace this kind of assembly-line, lifeless excuse for "art." :roll:

And so funny considering how involved Spielberg was in 2d animation back in the day--American Tail, Land Before Time, Animaniacs, etc...