Which Spider-Man movie is your favorite?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links

Which Spider-Man movie is your favorite?

Poll ended at May 14th, 2008, 4:10 pm

Spider-Man
11%
Spider-Man 2
67%
Spider-Man 3
22%

Total votes: 18

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 23rd, 2007, 1:49 am

Ben wrote:No, droo, it's not.

I've spoken at length about the Nicholas Hammond/1970s/80s Spidey series. I have no idea why Sony - who own them - don't put out a "trilogy" box set, at the very least, comprising of the feature pilot and the two later "features" that were issued overseas and made up of two, two-part epiosdes.

Because Sony is lame, that's why!

But seriously, it could be that someone in Marvel management (the boneheads that are RUINING the comic book line) is blocking release of the TV series because they feel it "doesn't suit the modern sensibilities of the character."

(They had little choice about the Disney release of the 1960s Spider-Man and 1990s Fantastic Four animated series. This is one time I applaud Disney's ruthlessness in releasing these shows to DVD without Marvel's say-so. At least Stan Lee was contacted and wrote a nice introduction the '60s Spider-Man set.)

In other words, the 1970s Spidey isn't serious (dreary and depressing) enough!

Sony may own the TV series and live-action motion pictures but Marvel ultimately controls the character. Marvel's last lawsuit against Sony was successful but it was almost pointless.

Pretty much all the Marvel characters that would make decent movies have already had their films shot. Only Spidey and X-Men have had decent box office success. Hulk, which should have been a shoe-in IF they had stuck to the original comic book origin(!), was a bust. Everything else has been mediocrely successful to forgettable. I cringe to think what will happen to Captain America (who's already been KILLED in the comics) and have little hope that Iron Man will be handled well.

I've gotta admit that the last thing I'm looking forward to on home videoo is a decent release of the 1960s Marvel Superheroes animated series featuring The Hulk, Captain America, Thor and Sub-Mariner. I've got the '67 Spider-Man series set but could care less about the rest of the Marvel animated output. The original series are still the best.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Megagents » June 30th, 2007, 6:24 pm

I can't honestly choose at the moment since I haven't seen part 3 but at the moment part 2 is my fave, i'll vote later.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 1st, 2007, 5:15 pm

Original 70's Spider-Man

Original Animated Spider-Man

1990's Animated Spider Man:

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 1st, 2007, 5:20 pm

Japanese Spider-Man:

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 1st, 2007, 5:45 pm

Love the giant Transformer in the Japanese one!

Seriously, how could anyone not love that funky 1970s disco version with Nicholas Hammond. Love the "Dukes Of Hazzard" font as well!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 1st, 2007, 6:04 pm

It looks like a lot of fun! :) Wish I had seen it. (the 70s one I mean)

My fave is the second one--the old Spidey cartoon.

They showed it in Israel when I was a little kid. I remember the song vagely, (although I didn't understand it then) but the only image that stands out to me (which I haven't thought of since that time) is him taking the picture....other than that, it's kind of a blur, but I do remember it. :)

I also liked the 90s Spider-Man, that had some TERIFFIC action/fighting sequences, as well as an awesome, fast storytelling pace. Not as good as the X-Men animated show from then (few things are) but still a very cool series. Loved those CGI effects, they were pretty new for that time.

There was a very cool ep of some of the X-Men guest starring on Spidey (drawn in that style too). So awesome, plus there was this whole fascinating issue as Spidey didn't consider himself to be a "mutant" like the X-Men, just a regular guy who was bit by a Spider.

Banned
Banned

Post by Remy » July 23rd, 2007, 9:19 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Original 70's Spider-Man

Original Animated Spider-Man

1990's Animated Spider Man:

That looks like it was a really cool show!!! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 24th, 2007, 3:56 am

Do you mean the 90s Spidey? :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 24th, 2007, 7:42 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Do you mean the 90s Spidey? :)

Eh, that show's serviceable, but it's still not my favorite Spidey.

I still have the soft spot for the 60's animated TV series and that's the one I own the DVD set for. Can't top the theme song for that show even if the animation DOES stink!

Best part of the '90s Spider-Man animated series on Fox was the voice of Peter Parker/Spider-Man, Christopher Barnes aka "Little Mermaid" 'Prince Eric'/"Brady Bunch Movie" 'Greg Brady.'

His voice fit the character perfectly. Way better than Tobey Maguire's wimpy and dreary voice. As much I like the Spider-Man 2 videogame, I got sick of listening to Droopy Maguire's voice-overs.

With all due apologies to Tex Avery and animated French poodles, there have to be a million people that have more enthusiasm in their acting than Tobey Maguire!

(Okay, Mary Jane WAS cast worse in the live-action films than Spidey... but that's not saying much.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 25th, 2007, 8:34 am

There are...ahem...<I>rumors</I>...that when Spidey speaks in a Spidey voice, that it is not all Droopy Maquire's voice. I'll leave it at that. Could be a rumor that sprouted up because a voice actor came into a studio to do some ADR that Maquire was unavailable for, but funny that most of his lines were actual Spidey hero lines (this was for 2 and 3)...

:roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 25th, 2007, 9:09 am

That's very interesting! :)

Also, just found this. I didn't even know there were this many shows!! :o

Chris Barnes is great and all, but I actually liked the second one best. :wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on July 25th, 2007, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 25th, 2007, 9:15 am

Gotta go with the one I always knew: Dan Gilvezan from 1982.

I <I>must</I> get that 1967 set! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 26th, 2007, 5:26 am

Ben wrote:Gotta go with the one I always knew: Dan Gilvezan from 1982.

I <I>must</I> get that 1967 set! :)
Gilvezan was pretty good as Spidey, too, but I almost associate him more with Bumblebee (mid-80's Transformers) to be honestly truthful.

Chris Barnes definitely had the Spidey voice that sticks with me. No pun intended.

If they ever got smart in Hollywood//Marvel, they'd get Barnes back as Spidey for the next animated series in a heartbeat.

(But fans won't get that lucky. Marvel wants to go younger on Spidey since they believe Spidey works better as a young, high school teenager even though over half the classic Spidey stories are set with Spidey in his college years!)

Of course, I don't think the Marvel producers are that smart at all given their horrible track record on live-action and animation in general.
It's really been DC Comics that has lucked onto talent like Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, and Michael Reaves that have redefined many of the classic DC superheroes in animation for the better. In fact, much of that animation has been far superior to the actual comics produced for much of the past 30-some years based on my own reading.

Marvel just hasn't had the same luck because I believe they've generally shot for basement bargain prices on production. That level of talent and shlock just doesn't seem to have a clue on how to handle the characters. And it certainly shows.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 27th, 2007, 6:02 am

Have you guys seen this "Animated Spider Man 3 trailer"? :D (My last YouTube post here.)

It actually works pretty well, other than the fact that he had to use Hydroman in place of Sandman. (Since SM never appeared in the cartoon.)

Notice how much better the cartoon was with the whole Venom "Hero must face the darkness within himself" thing compared to the movie.

If they ever got smart in Hollywood//Marvel, they'd get Barnes back as Spidey for the next animated series in a heartbeat.

My biggest problem with Toby right now is that he's just too boyish. It's called Spider-Man, not Spider-fifteen year old boy!! :roll: :? Spidey may be a regular guy with "problems" but that doesn't mean he has to look, sound and act like a teenager when he cleary isn't.

I mean listen to Barnes and some of those early Spidey voices, like the 1967 one. Wow! He actually sounds like an adult!! Can't express how refreshing it is to hear a "grown-up" Spidey after 3 films with "I'm just a nerdy kid from Queens" (Uh-huh) Maguire. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 27th, 2007, 6:30 am

Or even TobEy... ;)