This Stan Lee/Disney deal....

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

This Stan Lee/Disney deal....

Post by GeorgeC » June 7th, 2007, 10:45 pm

Really, all things considered, it's a good deal for Stan, but a waste of money for Disney.

The best things Stan created and worked on are all products of the 1960s and are owned by Marvel.

Disney's getting the bread crumbs.

With the arguable exception of Captain America (a Joe Simon creation), all of Marvel's A-flight characters have all been adapted into movies.

What's Disney going to get from Stan? The next Mosaic or Chameleon character?

People in Hollywood really don't read, do they?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 9th, 2007, 1:00 am

Whether this is good or bad, I really can't say. Does this mean Stan is going to be writing for them or all Marvel superhero films are going to be done at Disney now? :?:

I do know Eisner would never in a million years have agreed to it. He'd have been like "Well, what's the guy done lately?" Plus I doubt Eisner ever read comics in his youth. :P(He had a strict, no TV type upbringing.)
He would have said no way. Again, whether this is good or bad I can't say, but seriously, Stan Lee at Disney, Steve Jobs/Apple at Disney, Pixar doing live-action....like Ben has said, the words "losing focus" are coming to mind....:?

EDIT: OK, found a link. :)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070606/ap_ ... y_stan_lee

I still think they're losing focus....:(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 9th, 2007, 1:05 am

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 9th, 2007, 10:05 pm

Also, of course it was discussed on the Animated-Views front page.....just read it. Very cool article. :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 10th, 2007, 11:06 am

ShyViolet wrote:AN discusses it here: :)

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=012388

Greg B is NUTS, Vi.

This is Mr. Kool-Aid who talks about government conspiracies and UFO's all the time. He's got quite the reputation at AN.

He's off-base about Joe Quesada.

A large minority of long-time Marvel fans (including yours truly) HATE Joe Quesada and what he's done to Marvel. It's not just Quesada's inability to get the books out on time but also his idiotic editorial decision-making and his inability to reign in the worst ideas Marvel's current crop (or is that CRAP?) of writers think up!

If it weren't obvious that the House of No New Ideas has run out of good ideas, it's one continuous year of crossovers after another with dumb ideas that are just ruining one character after another.

Here's what Joey Quesadilla has managed to do in the past three years at Marvel:
a) he allowed his most popular writer to ruin a long-time Avengers' character (the Scarlet Witch) and populate the Avengers team with a bunch of loner characters (Spidey, Wolverine, Luke Cage), characters few of us care about (Sentry, Spider-Woman), and overexpose even more characters that don't need more exposure (Spidey, Wolverine);
b) Marvel has managed to turn Iron Man into a total ass&*(e that nobody in their mind should like;
c) if Civil War and its complete lack of logic and credibility wasn't bad enough, Marvel killed Captain America during a time when the character could have been revitalized and popular like he hasn't been for over 20 years! Granted, Cap will come back within 2 years, but killings generally diminish characters and don't boost them up. Bad call, Joe, BAD call.
d) The worst character mishandling has to be Spider-Man and it's because Joey can't say no to the worst ideas his editors and writers cook up! In five years of ASM, the current writer, J. Michael Straczynski has tried to break up Spidey's marriage, tried to give Spidey a non-sensical mystical aura that just doesn't fit the character, and on top of that wrote a subplot that infuriated fans of Gwen Stacy.

Joey Q let another lame-brained writer out Spidey's secret identity.

That's right -- Spider-Man no longer has a secret identity.

It's one dumb idea after another at Marvel.

EIC Quesada has no conception of the responsibility an editor-in-chief is supposed to have -- yes, you let writers try new ideas, but they have to be true to the spirit of the characters and it's nice if your books actually ship on time!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 10th, 2007, 1:37 pm

I haven't really read Marvel since the mid-90s X-Men heyday before the crash (with Stan Lee always publishing that phony "greeting" to all the "true believers" :roll: :P) but the writing got SO incredibly preachy and drawn out that I lost interest. IMHO they hit their peak with X-Men: Age of Apocalypse and then just went all downhill. The only times I'd buy anything (very rare) is if they had a one-shot issue referencing AOA. :(

EIC Quesada has no conception of the responsibility an editor-in-chief is supposed to have -- yes, you let writers try new ideas, but they have to be true to the spirit of the characters and it's nice if your books actually ship on time!

For me that was the problem with X-Men. Barring AOA, they were just going in a million directions with too many different twists and no linear stories--all crossovers with X-Factor, X-Man, etc....I just got tired of it. :?
Whatever happened to having one story, then another, one at a time????
That's why I so wish I was old enough to read them during the Byrne/Claremont 70s/80s run....:(

In the mid-90s they introduced way too many new characters, including that awful "Generation X" or whatever it was supposed to be. (I'm one of the few people that actually liked the TV pilot, maybe 'cause the comic was so bad to begin with. :?)

I started out liking X-Man/alternate universe Cable/Nathan and then just got tired of him. I got SO tired of Scott Summers and Jean Grey, even after reading Cyclops and Pheonix via a friend's loaning me her collection (which was pretty good, but not worth all the hype.)

Too many twists. Then the paper quality went WAY down. I just lost interest after that. :roll: My favorite title actually is X-Men Adventures, which was based on the TV cartoon eps. Simple maybe, but at least the stories are more self-contained and actually MADE SENSE. :?

:wink: