What Would You Change?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 28th, 2007, 6:32 pm

Syndrome's death should have been grander and more disturbing to really have more of an impact. Not that it wasn't good, but like you said, it was too much like the cape speech.
Cape speech = forshadowing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 28th, 2007, 7:52 pm

I realize that, but the cape speech was very funny and entertaining....while I liked the "neat" resolution of it being Syndrome's downfall, it would have been better to have a more serious kind of death. (if he actually did die.)

We're told over and over again how all these Supers were killed, and we're shown how cold, cruel and utterly lacking in any kind of compassion Syndrome is. With that, I would have though his commupance would have been, well "bigger" somehow..... :?

Just my opinion though. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » June 28th, 2007, 8:41 pm

Brad Bird seems to not like to have his villains explode or anything like that. Kent Mansley seemed to get it off easy as well. And I'm willing to bet that Skinner doesn't get caught in an oven and roasted to death, or eaten by Remy's friends from the inside out (PLEASE don't tell me what really happens).

Oh, and to get even more off topic, I'm not against violent deaths, as long as they're in the right context. Belloq deserved to have his head blown up.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 29th, 2007, 7:02 am

The ending of Raiders always got me, because it <I>is</I> thrilling, but the nominal hero, Indiana Jones, doesn't <I>do</I> anything through it!

That's why Indy gets to smash the heck outta many more bad guys in The Temple Of Doom, because Harrison Ford - quite rightly - just wanted to do more.

In The Incredibles, the cape speech is the perfect set-up for Syndrome's demise. The only thing is that they should have used his cape in a grander way to dispatch him. It works because we have been told the perils of capes (though I for one thought that Mr Incredible would have looked so much more impressive with a good one), which Syndrome has ignored. I agree that his "death" should have been "bigger" (like the whole end of The Incredibles), but still tied to the cape concept.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 29th, 2007, 11:38 pm

That's why Indy gets to smash the heck outta many more bad guys in The Temple Of Doom, because Harrison Ford - quite rightly - just wanted to do more.

I totally agree, and plus we got to see Molaram got eaten by crocodiles!!
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 30th, 2007, 7:35 am

Well, we ran Raiders as the finale in our Festival last night, and wow...it still stands up strong as ever across the board...editing, performances, music, direction, etc...

It helped that the print we ran was gorgeous...simply stunning that looked as good as new. This was Paramount UK's library print, not a run-of-the-mill screening copy, so everything was reference class.

The sound was awesome...sounded like a full surround track (I guess LucasFilm must have had some re-issue prints made up at some point) with very obvious directional effects separations.

The audience whooped and cheered and I noticed several things that I had not noticed before, even on my 12' home theater screen!

Gotta say, though, that Temple Of Doom still rocks more as an all-action, non-stop adventure, and the ending of Raiders felt quite short and not as epic as I remember it.

Still amazing though, and a great night out! Gonna try and get Doom for next year! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » June 30th, 2007, 6:16 pm

Temple of Doom was always my favorite. :D Nice to see more people that appreciate it (as opposed to Raiders, which I never enjoyed quite as much)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 30th, 2007, 7:11 pm

Ben wrote:...even on my 12' home theater screen!
You have a 12' home theater screen? Wow! That's impressive!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 1st, 2007, 9:31 am

Better than the 8' I had before! ;)

Actually, I was very lucky...the screen I have now is a genuine Harkness-Hall, the makers of all the largest cinema screens in the world. Their factory used to be based in one of the remaining studios around Elstree (at one point we had six here) though they did not make films there any more. They were forced out a couple of years ago when the landlord decided to sell the land, which meant the end of The Gate Studios, with the oldest surviving soundstage in Europe being demolished soon after. Part of the campaign to try and keep that from happening was what started the Heritage group I'm involved with, but after we had secured the original Elstree Studios in the 1990s, the local council were not interested in trying to preserve another one, especially a stage that was not being used for active filmmaking.

So...unfortunately it was knocked down, but not before we documented the site on video. While I was doing so, the managing director of the outgoing company Harkness-Hall said we could take our pick of anything that was left over. I was very lucky to find a recently completed and still sealed motorised projection screen, and despite a bit of trouble getting it out and home, I grabbed it!

I'd been using a makeshift 8 foot screen for a while at home, since we kept thinking we'd soon be moving and it wasn't worth installing something permanent, even though I had talked to Harkness about buying a standard 7 footer from them. So when I found the 12 foot one, I was obviously more than pleased! We're looking at moving again soon, and Jenny knows I want a dedicated home theater room with the full width to put the new screen in (at the moment, it is cramped into the width of our living room).

I'm also, when we do this, going to upgrade my audio options too and probably go all out on HD gear and amps. We've been saving for quite a while having not found anywhere that suited but we're outgrowing this place and need to set up shop somewhere larger soonish!

:)