Manga & Anime THREAD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Miyazaki R1 traler is up!

Post by Wolf Tooth » December 20th, 2004, 12:03 pm

http://disneyvideos.disney.go.com/movie ... 34403.html

They put all three movies on the same traler, how... diffrent.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Howl's French site up

Post by Wolf Tooth » December 24th, 2004, 3:57 pm

like it says at the top
http://www.lechateauambulant-lefilm.com

Even if you can't read French(I got a D in it :oops: ), it's still worth it to check out.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 29th, 2004, 2:59 am

If my previous post didn't say this enough,

seriously -- do yourselves favors and DON'T buy this movie on DVD.

If you're really interested in it, rent the DVD and see for yourself what I'm talking about.

It's like sitting through the most boring philosophy lecture you'll ever experience in your life. You're being talked to throughout the entire movie instead of being allowed to immerse yourself in the story such as it is. It's just not a very well put together movie in my honest opinion and is a supreme example of what's wrong with most Japanese animated features nowadays.

The only anime feature directors I can think of offhand who "hit it out of the park" fairly regularly nowadays are Hayao Miyazaki and Satoshi Kon ("Perfect Blue," "Millennium Actress," "Tokyo Godfathers," "Paranoia Agent" TV series). The Mamuro Oshiis and Masumune Shirows of this world just stink at putting together movies that won't bore the heck out of most people.

GiTS 2 is a pretty film, yeah... Great story and direction? Sure didn't see it here!

The GiTs2 DVD is being pushed hard through the usual suspects outlets (anime websites and magazines) but hardly anybody in the "usual press" is saying what I am. It's not that I'm some sort of nut, but the fact is that there is sometimes an interest on the part of the media press in SELLING a product to the public that it won't necessarily like.

GeorgeC

Another reason to skip the GiTS 2 DVD in Region 1...

Post by GeorgeC » January 9th, 2005, 2:32 am

DreamWorks was cheap once again with a licensed anime DVD.

Besides their continuing practice of NOT producing an English dub for the movie -- which automatically cuts out a large percentage of fans who DO NOT like to read subtitles --, they were very cheap on both the video transfer and subtitling of the movie!

Video transfer -- a couple of people have commented that it's not very good. Either a bad print of the movie was used, or more likely DreamWorks used a bad authoring house for the DVD. The movie print I saw at the theater was crisp and flawless. Too bad the story doesn't live up to the visuals.

Subtitling -- the most controversial aspect of this DVD by far. DW was politically correct and chintzy to the extreme with the subtitles. INSTEAD of producing a decent, readable subtitle track, DW decided to caption in subtitles ALL the sound effects in the track! Their reasoning is that A) closed captioning is too expensive and most DVD players don't do it; B) a bunch of TVs manufactured before 1994 have no closed caption decoders built in; and C) Gee, we don't want to offend the less than 10% of the fans out there who are deaf by leaving out subtitles for the sound effects!

I didn't buy this DVD because I hated the movie when I saw it in the theaters. If there was ever a more overhyped and bloated piece of anime feature, I really don't know. Again, this movie BORED me to death. It's a philosophical gabfest from beginning to end.

The GiTS 2 DVD definitely sounds like a recall job to me if DW wants to save some face with anime fans, but I seriously doubt a recall is in the works...

On another note, most Ghost in the Shell video releases in the past few months have been cursed in one way or another it seems. The new edition of the original Ghost in the Shell movie was delayed to the middle of January for reasons that were never explained. The Stand Alone Complex TV series has had one manufacturing defect after another starting from Volume One. Volume One of SAC had combined audio tracks on the Limited Edition DVD as well as a faulty DTS track on the DTS DVD of volume one. Volume 2 of SAC had inverted labels on the 2-disc LE set and many of the Volume 2 regular edition DVDs were the exclusive LE DTS disc!

Bandai and Manga Video almost got everything resolved in Volume 3 of the LE SAC release, but apparently a couple seconds of the opening intro animation in the DTS DVD have sound drop-off!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 9th, 2005, 2:39 am

For anybody's information,

the anime features DW has licensed for theatrical distribution and home video release so far have been Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Ghost in the Shell 2. It's a no-brainer that DW is going to license (or already has licensed) more anime features in the future but I seriously doubt any of these future licensed films will ever get wide-release in the US any time soon. GiTS still wasn't able to break much above $1 million theatrical gross even though it opened in 500 theaters in the US. There's just no market as of yet for these films in the US or nobody's licensed the RIGHT movie to widely distribute yet.

(Frankly, I think a safe bet anime feature for limited distribution would be either a high-action adventure science fiction anime or a comedy. Serious anime films and gorey anime just won't play well in the US theatrical circuit.)

I'd vouch for the first two films in that list because they were written and directed by Satoshi Kon -- one of the best two anime feature directors in Japan right now.

I'm not saying any more on GiTS 2 unless it's a technical issue on the DVD that's been widely reported...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 10th, 2005, 9:40 am

I remember seeing an advert for Tokyo Godfathers in the Triplets Of Belleville DVD and had to do a check. It actually came out through Sony on Columbia/TriStar Video.

I don't know about their anime editions, but do know that Sony usually do a good job of releasing Japanese product (due to their parent company origins) and have not heard anything bad about the Tokyo Godfathers DVD:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... d&n=507846

Two anime films which could become bigger hits than have been had so far are Appleseed, opeing this month if you can find it, and Steamboy, which does look simply stunning and doesn't have the usual manga-style trappings.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 10th, 2005, 11:30 pm

You're right -- Sony did release Tokyo Godfathers on DVD. That was not a DreamWorks release.

Manga Video did do the Region 1 release of Satoshi Kon's other anime feature, Perfect Blue, in the US, though.

As much as I'd like to let Sony off the hook and not grind my axe on them, I do have to say they DID really tick me off on a previous anime release. Sony partnered with Manga Video to do the home video releases of Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie in the US and they absolutely butchered that film. Most anime perverts get hung up on the few seconds of the Chun-Li shower scene that got cut on the "unedited" US release of SFII but much worse damage was done to the overall film. While the original Japanese SFII is by no means a Miyazaki-level epic <G!>, its soundtrack and voice acting is far superior to the mangled Nirvana-esque soundtrack and homeless persons' warblings that S & M inflicted on American SFII fans...

(Yes, that last sentence was meant as a double entende... I'm bad today! LOL)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 11th, 2005, 6:12 am

Can't say I'm vesred enough in manga/anime in general to have even seen Street Fighter, let alone be upset with the way Street Fighter TWO was handled on video!

:)

GeorgeC

Astro Boy on R1 DVD...

Post by GeorgeC » January 18th, 2005, 1:04 am

Sony is releasing the second Astro Boy remake later this year on DVD. More details here at http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=131584

It's a full series release, 50 episodes on 5 discs. No word on whether there's an unedited Japanese version in this set, but I kinda doubt it. It's probably the remixed English version that American Astro fans "loved" (from what I hear).

As some might recall, the show aired briefly on Kids WB and Cartoon Network where it totally failed to connect with American audiences and died a quick death.

There were also GameBoy Advance and PS2 Astro Boy game tie-ins released that are still sitting on store shelves.

Supposedly, this remake was one of the most expensive anime TV series produced in Japan and looked expensive, too.

Just goes to show ya that robots don't always fly in the States... Even if they are nuclear-powered and shoot rockets out their arses.

P.S. -- I must admit that other than reading about and seeing still images of, I've seen very little of Astro Boy over the years. The only Astro Boy items I own are the American theme on a Toon Shows collection CD and a laserdisc that has a few of the original B & W English dub episodes on it. Astro Boy is basically a forgotten relic in modern Western anime fan circles...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 18th, 2005, 6:08 pm

There's a follow-up on the Astro Boy DVD release plans at Toonzone.net

The original Japanese release of Astro Boy was in 16 X 9 widescreen format; the American version was edited for time and content and resized to 4:3 format.

The DVD lists languages as English, Spanish, Portugese and a 4:3 format.

There's almost no question the North American DVD release is the edited version that aired on Kids WB.

Bummer for Astro Boy completists, all 3 of them...

Seriously, I don't think this character has much of a following left in the States.

GeorgeC

Howling's Moving Castle -- theater date penciled in at Jun10

Post by GeorgeC » February 10th, 2005, 11:57 pm

There's been speculation that Disney may release Howling's Moving Castle to theaters June 10th this year.

Right now, the only for-sure release dates are the upcoming Studio Ghibli R1 DVDs on FEBRUARY 22: The Cat Returns, Nausicaa, and Porco Rosso.

All films come recommended from Ghibli that have seen them. (I haven't, though.)

There are also rumors that there may be at least one other wave of Ghibli films later this year as it seems that Disney's contract with Tokuma (the rights' holders of the Ghibli movies) may be running out, or Disney may feel pressured to fast-forward the DVD releases before the movies get released in other regions. Another company is supposedly doing Ghibli releases in R4 (Australia et al).

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 11th, 2005, 12:49 am

I corrected my last post.

I did a quick check at AnimeonDVD.com and the release dates for the Ghibli film DVDs are in less than 2 weeks!

They're definitely worth getting.

Skip Mulan II and Lion King 2 and get these discs instead! :lol:

GeorgeC

Anime on NPR

Post by GeorgeC » February 11th, 2005, 2:11 am

AnimeNewsNetwork had a little blurb about NPR doing a report on anime's sub-culture in the US.

(Honestly, when will the major media get it through their heads that anime is NOT a major cultural theme in the US and the active fanbase is fairly small? For most people, it's a fad that lasts a year or two and then they get out of it -- like the kids that enjoy Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, or Dragonball.)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4492335

You have to have Real Media Player to hear the report, I think. Doesn't work with QuickTime Player. And I wouldn't wish Windows Media Player on my worst enemy, either!
:lol:

This is the second report on NPR about anime this year.

Must be a slow year. I guess events in Asia (Southeast Asian Tsunami, Iraqi elections) just aren't worth reporting about for these "serious" news reporters.

I love anime as much as the next fanboy or fangirl, but this is ridiculous!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Ghibli GOIN' SOLO!

Post by Wolf Tooth » February 11th, 2005, 8:07 am

Animation house Studio Ghibli, which produced the Oscar-winning film "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi" (Spirited Away), will spin off from major publishing company Tokuma Shoten Publishing Co. to become an independent corporation, sources said Thursday.

The new company will be established in Koganei, Tokyo, with Hayao Miyazaki, who directed the box-office hit "Hauru no Ugoku Shiro" (Howl's Moving Castle), as one of its board members.

Studio Ghibli will separate from the publishing house by the end of March, when it will take over relevant business rights for between 15 billion yen and 20 billion yen, the source said.

The move is expected to give Miyazaki, who has established himself as a giant in the domestic and international industries, even greater dominance in his field.

Studio Ghibli was established in 1985 as a subsidiary of Tokuma Shoten, but became a division of the company after being absorbed in 1997 due to Tokuma Shoten's deteriorating business.

The animation house has been supporting its parent company's operations financially through proceeds from its hit movies.

But large-scale restructuring to Tokuma Shoten's publishing division has allowed the publisher to support itself without relying on its animation division, enabling Studio Ghibli to break free.

The resulting corporation will be established with 10 million yen in capital.

Producer Toshio Suzuki and director Isao Takahata will become board members along with Miyazaki. Suzuki will hold representative rights.

The necessary funds to acquire rights related to the animation division reportedly already have been secured.

The new company is expected to aim to produce quality films for the world market, while nurturing animators.
-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 11th, 2005, 6:14 pm

Thanks for the news, George! :)