Manga & Anime THREAD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » November 28th, 2008, 4:38 pm

I have no problem keeping pace with image and subs simultaneously so I always opt for subtitled viewing, although that isn't the main reason I choose to do so (aside: repeated viewings of *any* film presents new details not spied the first time around). Western voice actors -- especially of the recognizable celeb variety -- can sound so terribly out of place when speaking on distinct foreign customs, spirits, social goings-on, or localized history. This is not in every case, mind you, but I do prefer a more literal-minded text translation from a native talent/perspective instead of a "closest Westernized approximation" of whatever deeply foreign moment is occurring. Quick, stupid example: Pompoko's "pouches" and "raccoons".

(haha, and at the end of the day even subs can't be trusted. Nothing'll beat getting a handle on the actual language being spoken, if only I had the diligence.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Adam » December 1st, 2008, 4:01 pm

So I'm assuming Tales From Earthsea will not get a theatrical release?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 2nd, 2008, 2:01 pm

Nobody knows what's going on with Tales From Earthsea. Disney Home Video is the authority to ask.

The release was held up because of the Sci-Fi Channel mini-series based on the same Le Guin novels.

Disney had to wait because of rights' reasons until enough time had passed since the Sci-Fi show's airing.

Chances are that Disney will do a limited theatrical release like they have for most of the newer Ghibli/Miyazaki works -- remember, they've released films up to 3-4 years AFTER debuting in Japan in the US in theater -- and then do a home video release.

I wouldn't bet on seeing this film released in R1 until at least late next year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CSAD71 » December 18th, 2008, 11:47 pm

I have A Love/Hate relationship with Cartoon Network for at least by my standard; selling out like they have, An what I dont get is how some people can say that this new crap TDI,and JT,6T they picked up is Good.

I say even if something does make ratings it still does not mean it can be difined as good in term. rating wise yes but qualitywise, showmenship, charater and integrity based NO! (again that is my view of it).

But their is A few times I Love Cartoon Network take them Returning Looney Tunes On January 1,2009 for starters. What it's been like about nigh unto 5 years since Looney Tunes aired on Cartoon Network nice to see Cartoon Network giving Bugs and Co. A Day to Unite with it's fans and it's Great to see Cartoon Network still holding to their roots somewhat.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Case Against Christopher Handley

Post by eddievalient » December 28th, 2008, 11:08 pm

This isn't toon related per se, but it effects every one of us, so I need to bring it to your attention. There is an ongoing case in Iowa where a man named Christopher Handley was arrested for buying Japanese manga that someone else thought was "obscene". He had ordered some manga directly from Japan and-I'm guessing-because the package came from outside the US, the local postmaster took it upon himself to inspect it. Without even asking the guy about it, or informing him that the package had been searched, the postmaster decided on his own that the comics were "obscene" and called the police. The police followed Mr. Handley home, confiscated his entire collection of both manga books and anime dvds, and arrested him for "importing obscene materials", which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison. That the manga he had ordered was gay-themed is irrelevant (although I have strong feelings about the implication which I won't go into here). The issue that's at stake here is every person's freedom to enjoy the entertainment of their choice and we should all be furious about this. The trial is in February and, fortunately, the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund has come to Mr. Handley's aid, but it's not going to be easy. This is a very slippery slope. If the prosecuter wins the case, what's to stop them from trying to ban all manga (or anything else they don't like)? It's not right and it's not fair. Spread the word. We have to let as many people as possible know about this to prevent it from ever happening again. Who's with me?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 28th, 2008, 11:27 pm

You've got great intentions there, but this topic could quickly get political or even religious and those are two topics we like to steer clear of here due to past problems. And that's without getting into the family friendly line we try to keep which could be in danger of being crossed as well. I'm not saying your post crossed any lines, just the topic could easily get out of hand.

So this is just fair warning to keep this discussion civil and PG-13 at worst or it may have to be shut down!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 14th, 2009, 8:48 pm

Slight Update:

You can subscribe to an e-mail list to be informed when the Unico DVDs will be released...

http://www.newgalaxyanime.com/index.html

Cross your fingers! Anime fans HAVE been disappointed before.

These are nice films that deserve to be re-released in R1.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 14th, 2009, 9:16 pm

I agree! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 18th, 2009, 11:48 am

The downward spiral of anime at retail stores continues in spite of some recent good news and newly announced releases coming over the next few months...

RUMOR circulating online is that Best Buy is preparing to prune back its anime sections in-stores and go solely online for new releases.

Yes, you will have to log onto BestBuy.com to buy new anime releases after a certain date. Whatever is left in-store I imagine would be sent back to the manufacturers and probably liquidated online and at venues like Big Lots (which has a number of Funimation, Bandai, and Geneon titles from 3-4 years back).

If that's the case, I'll save them the trouble. I'll go to Amazon.com and anime specialty sites and bypass Best Buy completely.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 19th, 2009, 10:28 am

UPDATE on the Best Buy situation:

Some "online reporter" in the anime industry didn't check his facts before unleashing the rumor online.

There's been clarification as to what's happening at Best Buy.

On a store-by-store basis, they're basically consolidating (shrinking) sections a bit to stock up on what's selling in the store's region.

The more popular titles will continue to be stocked and there on street date. More niche titles, not so much. If they do show up in-store, we're talking 1-3 copies tops. The Dragonball and other popular titles will continue to be there.

For guys like me who LIKE the offbeat stuff and HATE the Dragonballs and Naruto shows, it could be considered bittersweet.

Chances are I'll buy less at Best Buy. IF it's not a mainstream release, there's no point for me to go there.

GeorgeC

Early anime to be released on DVD; includes WWII Propaganda

Post by GeorgeC » January 20th, 2009, 3:54 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... iest-anime

"New DVD Company to Release 8 of the Earliest Anime"
"Eight pre-1945 films on Zakka Films' The Roots of Japanese Anime DVD"

"Zakka Films, a new company launched with the goal of bringing out early and lesser known Japanese films on English-subtitled DVD, has announced its first release: The Roots of Japanese Anime: Until the End of WWII, a compilation of eight cartoons created by various Japanese animators between 1930 and 1942. Probably the most well-known of the eight is 1942's Momotaro's Sea Eagles; film scholars consider it to be the first feature anime ever. Never available in English in its entirety before, the plot of this 37-minute wartime propaganda piece features Momotaro, a character from Japanese folklore, leading an aerial attack on an American naval base. The other seven anime included on the DVD are all much shorter, and include both those using traditional cels and others based on paper cutouts.

"In addition to English subtitles for all of the shorts, the DVD includes commentary tracks by prominent scholars of Japanese film, a gallery of promotional placards for Momotaro's Sea Eagles, and a pair of songs that were meant to be played on record players as the two pre-sound-era animated shorts were being shown. A 12-page booklet on the history of early, pre-Tezuka anime will also be included. For now, the DVD will be available only through FilmBaby.com, where it is priced at US$34.95."

Swwwwwwweeeeeeeeetttttt!

Note that this can only be ordered through the web at http://www.FilmBaby.com

Direct link to the title -- temporarily out of stock http://www.FilmBaby.com/films/3479

Steep price at $34.95, but IF Momotaro's Sea Eagles is the film I think it is, I might go ahead and get this!

I've never seen animated Axis propaganda footage. Momotara might be the film ASIFA-Hollywood screened in LA a few years back.

Just found out a sequel was made to Momataro's Sea Eagles.

More info on it here -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momotaro%2 ... a_Warriors
Last edited by GeorgeC on January 20th, 2009, 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » January 20th, 2009, 9:25 pm

Scanned over some of the titles and it appears some are also included in this collection, though that one deals with short works only (review here). Additionally, it looks like Zakka's extra features and audio are much, much better -- as concerned about archival as it is about presentation and context. Wish I had the budget for this stuff.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2009, 4:50 pm

We were <I>supposed</I> to get a copy of the Digital Meme 4-disc edition in for a review, but it never came.

It sounds as if both are recommended viewing for those wishing to discover this stuff...but $128 is a lot to be asking for a four-disc set!

$35 isn't too steep for what's being offered in this two-disc...I can feel myself ordering this very soon.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 21st, 2009, 8:29 pm

Isn't Digital Meme a Japanese outfit? That could be part of the problem.

I don't know who Zakka is but it's a separate group I bet from what I've read.

Sunday seems to know more about this than I do... All I know is what I read off AnimeNewsNetwork and that fact that one of these films SOUNDS like what was shown in LA a few years back.

Honestly, the earliest anime I've ever seen is Astro Boy and that's 30 years after the stuff on this disc-set!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 21st, 2009, 10:04 pm

I've seen some of this stuff in the middle of the night on Channel Four here in the UK when they used to be brave and run a heap of animated stuff.

C4 was quite an animation champion when they launched in the 1980s, not only showing the cream of the rare Walt stuff (Victory Through Air Power, The Reluctant Dragon and uncut Package Features all got airings with Brian Sibley introductions, plus a heap on Art Babbit, Tex Avery and the like), healthy doses of early international animation (wartime propaganda from Germany, a lot of the Soviet cartoons and, yes, what these Japanese sets sound made up from), as well as their producing their own stuff (original documentaries on Richard Williams and perhaps most notably The Snowman, among others).

A lot of the foreign stuff would be on during the dark hours so I would tape them, which I still have a few of and guard carefully. I just found some rather excellent German animation from the 1930s on a tape the other day with a couple easily matching some of the lesser Silly Symphony knock offs (and that's a compliment, given the process and pressure these films were made under).

These films seem to follow suit...I would be most interested in learning more and seeing them properly. :)