The importance of the big screen

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The importance of the big screen

Post by cmoon » August 28th, 2007, 7:34 pm

I'm sure most of us will acknowledge the importance of seeing movies in the theatre if possible; however this difference in viewing was blown out of proportion for me having a chance to watch Princess Mononoke again--but this time with the aid of a digital projector such that the screen size was effectively 70", and I was seated about 4 feet away from it.

Even though digital projectors certainly can't bring out the clarity of some of the new tvs; it was certainly enough to be quite similar to a movie going experience (especially w/ the sound system I was using.) There were without question aspects of the animation that worked much better with the movie being almost all-encompassing. Perhaps there may be other variables involved in just being 'large', but I could say tangibly that I hadn't experienced the film like that since I saw it in the theatre.

I don't know if I am always struck by movies this way as having a clear advantage on the big screen (sometimes it doesn't seem to matter), but I so much want to go through the older pieces of animation (things with lush hand-painted backgrounds) and see how this way of seeing films changes things. I wonder how much TVs massacre animation?

Anyway, sorry for the sort of 'duh' post, but yeah, bigger is (at least for some films) better *shrugs*

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 29th, 2007, 7:11 am

That's very true, and not just for animation. I recently saw Spider-Man 3 at my school's theater and you just know that movies like that (any superhero film really) don't seem as grand on a TV. That's why I make a point of seeing as many of those films as I can on the big screen, so I can get the full impact of the spectacle.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 1st, 2007, 7:01 pm

Any film is worthy of seeing on a big screen, where they are after all, intended.

I'm lucky enough to be able to run movies on a 12" screen, which approximates the size of a regular theater screen taking into consideration how far back the audience sits. Actually, there have been several times when friends have recalled seeing a movie at mine and saying "hey, didn't we go to see that?" and I have to remind them that it was actually on my home theater set up!

I find that overall the quality is there...certainly with my DLP projector, which throws out a stunning image, and I can't wait to start throwing HD images up on my screen, though it's pretty amazing right now. I find that animation - and movies on the whole - are too clinically processed for home video...the transfers often try and make film look like video, whereas screening back through a projector on a big screen brings back the "warmer" film look again.

Actually, I've found watching many digitally created hand-drawn features - especially Disney's DTVs - look MUCH better and way more refined on a big screen, the slightly softer lines not looking as bland as on a too-perfect smaller TV screen.

I love my projector! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » September 2nd, 2007, 7:03 am

especially Disney's DTVs - look MUCH better and way more refined on a big screen, the slightly softer lines not looking as bland as on a too-perfect smaller TV screen.
Yes!! The somewhat harsh digital rendering of many DTVs really gets toned down a little on the big screen, looking more like a theatrical feature.

I love my projector as well, though I will need to get a new one once I cross over into HD territory.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 2nd, 2007, 10:10 pm

Any film is worthy of seeing on a big screen, where they are after all, intended

Quoted for truth! :)

And it's not just the sound/picture....it's the experience of seeing it with strangers and watching their reactions. I don't know why but you just don't get that same feeling at all when seeing it with friends at home.

It's like going on a roller coaster/wild ride. (If you're into those :P) The fun thing about it is not just "the ride" but seeing people you don't know getting all scared/excited/happy, sharing their reactions, etc.....even if you were super-rich and had "private" roller coaster/them park of your own, where would the fun in that be?

(I realize it's a little different with film and sometimes it's better to have a more intimate experience with it, and home theaters all look amazing, but generally I prefer films on the big screen. :) )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by cmoon » September 7th, 2007, 10:22 pm

All this said, I went -all-the-way- and watched Bambi on my projector (65" diagnal) and really can't describe the experience. Bambi will remain for me one of the greatest animated films of all time, but to see it in this way is closest/truest to the way it was meant to be experienced. I'm only happy that I can justify this because of my professional use of the projector, but I hope I can also use it as a way to introduce people to animation. I still have friends who don't 'get' Bambi, and perhaps it is because they are heartless, but I think maybe because they have seen it the wrong way. THIS is the way to enjoy it; and it succeeds like an arrow to the heart. I empathize at once with the fatherless children off WW2 and a time where heroic deeds really meant something. What an incredible film!