Your Favorite Disney Princess

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links

Your Favorite Disney Princess:

Snow White (Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs)
6%
Cinderella (Cinderella)
11%
Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)
11%
Ariel (The Little Mermaid)
22%
Belle (Beauty And The Beast)
28%
Jasmine (Aladdin)
6%
Pocahontas (Pocahontas)
6%
Mulan (Mulan)
11%

Total votes: 18

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 13th, 2007, 9:05 am

Eilonwy was actually pretty stuck up. Not just feisty, but actually quite arrogant.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 30th, 2007, 1:36 am

Ok, I finally made my decision! I choose... Image

Edit: woot, I'm her first vote!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tune » January 6th, 2008, 9:06 am

No matter my choice is Belle (Beauty And The Beast). I think she is the only one who help the prince and get what she should have. No pains, no gains.
[url=http://www.pqdvd.com/dvd-to-ipod-movie-video-converter.html]ipod nano converter[/url]
[url=http://www.pqdvd.com/dvd-to-ipod-movie-video-converter.html]dvd to ipod nano[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 7th, 2008, 8:15 am

No pains? she past a lot of things to get her "happily ever after" (the wolfs,Gaston,etc.).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » January 7th, 2008, 8:53 pm

I love Belle, she was my favorite as a kid and still is. I love drawing Giselle and watching her too but I think Belle still wins out. She has the best personality and I love that movie soo much. One of Disney's best I think.

Poor Aurora, I like her a lot too.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 8th, 2008, 9:16 am

I like Aurora a lot too,she is poor :(.
Ariel and Giselle are my favortie,maybe Aurora too also i have a special place for Cinderella.
I don't know why Belle is so poplure,some people choose her not becouse of her film or her charecter but becouse she's "brave and smart" (like Ariel wasn't,actually,in their opinion she wasn't :?),don't get me worng,i love Belle,i just hate seeing her winning in polls in some websites becouse she's "brave and smart" and not becouse of her film or her charecter.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 8th, 2008, 9:26 am

Aurora was by no means "poor". Though she lived simply, she was watched over by three powerful fairies under the employment of the Royal family.

Belle probably wins because she's the most pro-active true "princess" (discounting Mulan, Pocahontas and the like).

Snow White runs away and is saved by seven little men. Aurora picks apples, dances with forest animals and sleeps through half of the movie. Ariel has a bit of a go, daring out of her world, but once in ours she's out of her depth and it's again down to the sidekicks to help her out. Jasmine puts on a strong show, but it's only skin deep and she basically needs her guy to sort things out.

Belle's the only one who jumps on a horse, stands up to her threat and helps beat off the villain. She's also the one, for a change, who actually rescues the prince, with her kiss. It's no wonder Belle does more for young females looking for empowerment than any of the other heroines.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 8th, 2008, 9:46 am

I mean poor she not a lot of people are chosing her in polls.
Snow White wasn't rescued by the dwarfs,and later she and Aurora wasn't really rescued by the kiss (i don't think that The Beast was really rescued either but still he and Belle are their film's heroes and Snow White and Aurora was their film's heroes).
Belle waited to a chance to make her dream come true (so was Ariel),she didn't do anything until her father was locked away (Jasmine for exmaple just got up and to make her dream come true),also Belle didn't killed Gaston and Ariel rescued Flounder (from Glut) and she rescued Eric twice (first time in the storm and second when Ursula tried to kill him) and he didn't rescued her,and Giselle killed Narrisa and Cinderella was rescued by no one,she rescued the mice.
And i never understand why people compare Pocahontas to Mulan,she's actually much like Ariel and Belle rether then Mulan.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 8th, 2008, 12:04 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:Snow White wasn't rescued by the dwarfs
Sorry, I thought I saw a film where the dwarfs killed off the threat to Snow White and then laid her in an open coffin, allowing the prince to kiss and wake her up. The dwarfs could have not gone to save Snowy, and could have gone the usual route of opening her up for a postmortem and buriel...so I'd say that was a rescue!
Once Upon A Dream wrote:Aurora wasn't really rescued by the kiss
How did she wake up again? Maybe it was that giant prince/dragon sword fight that she slept through?
Once Upon A Dream wrote:i don't think that The Beast was really rescued either.
Well, apart from Belle actually kissing him at the end (instead of the other way around), her whole story arc is about helping him come to understand his situation and find himself, teaching him to love again, both himself and others. Above and beyond any actual action sequences, that's another pretty big rescue job right there! Certainly the most "mature" of all the princess plots.
Once Upon A Dream wrote:Belle waited to a chance to make her dream come true (so was Ariel),she didn't do anything until her father was locked away (Jasmine for exmaple just got up and to make her dream come true),also Belle didn't killed Gaston and Ariel rescued Flounder (from Glut) and she rescued Eric twice (first time in the storm and second when Ursula tried to kill him) and he didn't rescued her,and Giselle killed Narrisa and Cinderella was rescued by no one,she rescued the mice.
And i never understand why people compare Pocahontas to Mulan,she's actually much like Ariel and Belle rether then Mulan.
Belle didn't wait for a chance. The chance presented itself to her. Ariel did save Eric, yep, but Eric saved Ariel in the end (by driving the boat into Ursula). Jasmine didn't get up or do anything...she ventured out from the palace but soon came unstuck. If it wasn't for Aladdin she would have had her hand cut off in the first five minutes in the market. Cinderelly was rescued by Jaq and Gus. If they hadn't pulled the key up the stairs and unlocked the door, and Bruno had not helped, poor ol' Cinders would still be up in that tower!

So...once again, Belle is the only one who needn't depend on any others to get out there and find herself. This is clear from her reaction to Gaston...there's no way she would have married him. She would be a strong young woman even without the intervention of plot or the Beast.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 8th, 2008, 12:27 pm

Ben wrote:
Once Upon A Dream wrote:Snow White wasn't rescued by the dwarfs
Sorry, I thought I saw a film where the dwarfs killed off the threat to Snow White and then laid her in an open coffin, allowing the prince to kiss and wake her up. The dwarfs could have not gone to save Snowy, and could have gone the usual route of opening her up for a postmortem and buriel...so I'd say that was a rescue!
They chased the Queen after she ate the apple and they just put her on a coffin and Mr. Lipstick came to see her,it's not a rescue.
Once Upon A Dream wrote:Aurora wasn't really rescued by the kiss
How did she wake up again? Maybe it was that giant prince/dragon sword fight that she slept through?
So he woke her up,that's a rescue.
Once Upon A Dream wrote:i don't think that The Beast was really rescued either.
Well, apart from Belle actually kissing him at the end (instead of the other way around), her whole story arc is about helping him come to understand his situation and find himself, teaching him to love again, both himself and others. Above and beyond any actual action sequences, that's another pretty big rescue job right there! Certainly the most "mature" of all the princess plots.
In the same she got rescued from merrying Gaston,and from the wolfs and from being locked away.
Once Upon A Dream wrote:Belle waited to a chance to make her dream come true (so was Ariel),she didn't do anything until her father was locked away (Jasmine for exmaple just got up and to make her dream come true),also Belle didn't killed Gaston and Ariel rescued Flounder (from Glut) and she rescued Eric twice (first time in the storm and second when Ursula tried to kill him) and he didn't rescued her,and Giselle killed Narrisa and Cinderella was rescued by no one,she rescued the mice.
Belle didn't wait for a chance. The chance presented itself to her. Ariel did save Eric, yep, but Eric saved Ariel in the end (by driving the boat into Ursula). Jasmine didn't get up or do anything...she ventured out from the palace but soon came unstuck. If it wasn't for Aladdin she would have had her hand cut off in the first five minutes in the market. Cinderelly was rescued by Jaq and Gus. If they hadn't pulled the key up the stairs and unlocked the door, and Bruno had not helped, poor ol' Cinders would still be up in that tower!
It dosn't matter in any case she waited for a chance,not get up and do something.
He killed Ursula,he didn't saved her.
Jasmine did a lot of thing! she got up and escaped from the palace insted of sitting and let other people do her life for her,she tricked Aladdin to tell her how is he and she gots Jafar's attention,she did a lot of things.
That's wasn't a rescued they just unlocked a door,she saved them for Lucifer and used her mind to get out.
So...once again, Belle is the only one who needn't depend on any others to get out there and find herself. This is clear from her reaction to Gaston...there's no way she would have married him. She would be a strong young woman even without the intervention of plot or the Beast.
She did,she was rescued from being locked away,from the wolfs,from merrying Gaston and she didn't killed the villain.[/quote]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 8th, 2008, 12:41 pm

Okay...right...now you're contradicting yourself so I'm going to pass...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 8th, 2008, 12:55 pm

Why?.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 8th, 2008, 1:01 pm

Because you're contradicting yourself.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 8th, 2008, 1:07 pm

I mean that in the way you put it,Belle is depened on others people,too.
Well,in my opinion no Disney Princess is depened on someone else,or you know what? maybe they need help but it's not that they are damsels in distress or something.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Favorite Disney Princess

Post by Dusterian » January 13th, 2008, 11:54 pm

Ben wrote:It's a toss up for the classic blondes for me. Cinders and Aurora both have that certain something.
Ben wrote:Belle probably wins because she's the most pro-active true "princess" (discounting Mulan, Pocahontas and the like).
That sounds like contradicting oneself, too. But I can accept someone changing their mind. :wink: I wish you still had Cinders and Aurors (he) as your favorites, though.

I suspect Once Upon A Dream doesn't get out everything he means exactly how he means it since he's from another country, though he gets better and better with spelling and grammar everyday. Once, if Dan will let me use his nickname for you, I know it doesn't seem like saving people by waking them up or breaking a curse, because they're not getting saved from death or being hurt, but it's still saving. If it weren't for true love, the princesses would never wake up which is like death, or the beast would be miserable and not his true self forever. Sometimes people are just saved from unhappiness. Did you ever catch something that was falling and someone said you saved what you caught from breaking?

Now that my favorite Disney princess, Cinderella, has gotten into this, let's take a look at what all these girls do in comparison to the others.

This is going to be very long. If enough people complain or just don't read it, then perhaps I will shorten it, but I really tried to keep it as short as I thought was good.

Snow White wishes for and sings of a better life where she is not a slave to her stepmother, and someone who loves her. She runs from a man who loves her, though she shows him she feels the same way, but the next time we see her she's just picking flowers. She runs from someone who was going to kill her, but only when she is urged and told to. She asks the animals to show her a place to stay. She directs them to help her clean the house. She could live well independently were it not for others owning the house. She makes a deal: the people who live there will let her stay in exchange for cooking and cleaning. She helps an old woman, and accepts a gift from her. Nothing notable after that.

Before Belle, Snow White accepts, is kind to, and helps someone despite their ugly, scary, or evil appearances: the queen disguised as an old hag. Notice Snow White was indeed scared of her, but looked past that.

Cinderella (my favorite) dreams and sings of a better life where she is not a slave to her stepfamily, but not for a man to love her. She is kind to animals and saves them from traps and a cat who tries to eat them. She is also kind to her stepfamily, perhaps in the hopes that they will return it as the animals do. When opportunity presents itself to her (right, Ben?) via an invitation to the ball, she lets her stepmother know she has every right to go and it's required by law for her to go anyway. She makes a deal: she can go to the ball in exchange for finishing her work and finding suitable attire. She tries to do the latter, but the mice do it for her in repayment for all she's done for them, and the fairy godmother does similarly for all the good Cinderella's done. Cinderella gets to the ball. She leaves the man she falls in love with, but once she finds out he's the prince and he loves her enough to marry her, she ignores her stepfamily's orders to get them dressed to get herself ready. She runs to the door to try and stop it from being locked by her stepmother, but fails. After releasing them from traps so many times, the mice come to do the same for Cinderella, but the key (and Gus again) become trapped under a teacup. The mice and birds try to free it, but fail. Cinderella thinks of Bruno, and gets him to free the key, which is given to her to free herself. Downstairs the slipper required to be the prince's bride breaks, and no one can help Cinderella accept herself, and she does so by presenting the other slipper while simultaneously foiling her stepmother.

Before Mulan, Cinderella defeats the villain, and she is currently the only Disney princess who is an actual princess to do so. She also helps defeat the villain sidekick, which Ariel does all on her own (Once reminded me!).

Aurora dreams and sings of someone to love her. She doesn't need a better life, she's just unsatisfied. She doesn't do anything for the animals except sing for them and talk to them and play with them, so perhaps it is her friendship that makes them try to make her dream come true. When opportunity presents itself to her, she would seize it were it not for the man who loves her being a possibly bad stranger and not wanting to disobey her kind aunts, but she still goes for it by getting him to come to her cottage. When she learns about her real life, she ignores her love for the man and her sadness for herself to give the women who raised her, her parents, and the whole kingdom what they want: she accepts her duty as princess and will marry to unite Stephen's and Hubert's kingdoms. Then she falls under a spell, and nothing notable from there.

Before Jasmine, we have a princess who doesn't want to be a princess, and who wants to choose her own man (when she's presented with choices). She unselfishly doesn't continue after her dream to please a lot of other people. Weakly giving in to others, or strongly doing what is "right" for others?

Ariel dreams and sings of not a better life but a different one. She irresponsibly misses a big event to learn more about the world she dreams of, saving herself and a friend from a shark on the way, and ignores the possible dangers to herself and the merworld by going to the surface. Her highly masculine father finds out and forbids her, but she keeps doing it anyway. She falls in love with a man she saves from drowning, and plans to see him as well. It's quite possible Ariel would make her dream come true herself if she didn't need magic or extreme plastic surgery. When opportunity presents itself to her via two eels who work for a magical octopus, she makes a deal: she can be a human forever in exchange for her voice and a kiss from the man she loves before three sunsets. Losing some of her abilities, she needs help from Sebastian, Flounder, and Scuttle (and various other animals), but it still takes her personality to almost get that kiss. When she doesn't get it in time, her father and Eric help/save her, but she saves Eric from death by killing Ursula's eels. Yet in the end, it is Eric who saves Ariel from death by Ursula, and her father who makes her dream come true.

Before Belle, Ariel collected and did all she could to learn about the world she wanted to be a part of. She learned and tried to get educated about it.

Jasmine dreams of a different life, and to choose someone to love her. She goes in search of it herself, but is saved from harm by a man. She goes back to the palace to find out another, evil man killed the man she loved. When she meets the man she loves in disguise, EDIT: She is clever enough to know it is the man she thought was killed (who wouldn't, though?) and she gets him to tell her who he is, or tricks him into it. She is about to be happy with him, but then she falls to the power of the evil man. She seduces and distracts him to help the man she loves help them all, but she fails and becomes trapped in an hour glass until the man gets her out, and then he saves everyone. Wow that's all she did.

Belle dreams and sings of a different life. Belle reads fairy tales which she wants to live herself, or adventures like them. Opportunity presents itself to her via her father getting himself in trouble but she doesn't even realize it until she arrives at a cool castle. She makes a deal: her father will go on and live as he wants in exchange for her staying as a beast's prisoner. Despite being told what she can and cannot do, she does whatever she wants in the castle. She gets herself yelled at and tries to leave her awful situation, but she gets into more trouble via lots of wolves. She is saved from harm/death by the beast. She is kind to and takes care of the beast, perhaps in exchange. She asks to see her father, and helps and cares for her father, too. She tries to stop a man from hunting the beast, but gets locked in the basement. She can't get herself out until a teacup releases her. She rides to the aid of the beast and tries to save him, but can't stop him from getting stabbed by the villain. The beast throws the villain off, and I don't recall Belle helping. Belle tells the beast she loves him, and breaks the spell, after he already saved her...

Long after Cinderella, Belle finds herself trapped in a room, and oddly enough teacups are involved in both cases, but unlike Cinderella, Chip isn't saving Belle in exchange for her saving him, and she doesn't help in getting herself out at all. It is odd that Belle is known for intelligence but Cinderella's the one who uses her brain to think of Bruno and help herself. I'd say Belle waited for things to happen or come along as much as many other princesses, and it's Jasmine that seems to be the only one who didn't wait for opportunity.

And on top of all the things I mentioned, I really love Cinderella for her looks and personality. She's beautiful even in how she moves, she's very graceful, and her sparkly dress that is truly poofy and changes from silver to blue is my favorite of all the princess' outfits.
ShyViolet wrote:One thing I'd love is if instead of being "spunky" our "outspoken" (how original!) the princess/heroine could actually be quiet, demure and unsure of herself for a change. (and learn to have confidence) It would just be an interesting change. But then I guess you'd get a bunch of women's groups saying how Disney is sexist, blah blah blah.....:roll: :P
I'd say that's sort of Cinderella or any of the classic, pre-renaissance princesses, at least the quiet and demure parts. Or maybe they are rather loud with Snow White's squeaking earsplitting voice or Aurora's belting opera that men can hear from far away.
Last edited by Dusterian on January 14th, 2008, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.