Your Favorite Disney Princess

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
Post Reply

Your Favorite Disney Princess:

Snow White (Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs)
1
6%
Cinderella (Cinderella)
2
12%
Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)
2
12%
Ariel (The Little Mermaid)
4
24%
Belle (Beauty And The Beast)
4
24%
Jasmine (Aladdin)
1
6%
Pocahontas (Pocahontas)
1
6%
Mulan (Mulan)
2
12%
 
Total votes: 17

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 5271
Joined: September 1st, 2006
Location: Nevermore

Post by Daniel » January 14th, 2008, 3:51 am

Well, it's shorter than I thought it would be. ;)

Pretty sure Ben isn't contradicting himself. The first quote is his stance, yes, but the second one is speaking in general, on why Belle is probably winning the poll.

Question, how come you put "(he)" after Aurora?
Dusterian wrote:Once, if Dan will let me use his nickname for you
Haha, go right ahead! :)

User avatar
Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin
Posts: 18714
Joined: October 22nd, 2004
Location: London, UK

Post by Ben » January 14th, 2008, 7:17 am

Waaaay to much to comment on again, but just to clarify...Cinders and Aurora would be MY favorites.

I was just pointing out why Belle always seems to win these things.

There, no contradiction, and cleared up. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 1471
Joined: October 7th, 2007
Location: Unknown

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 14th, 2008, 10:11 am

So Ben,it's just why she's allways winning polls? then allright :) it makes sense but i still think that she's not braver then the others.
Dusterian-thanks for explaining,(Aurora and Cinderella (maybe Belle too,or even Aurora in the frist place with Ariel and Giselle) are my scecond favorite princesses :D).
If they do get save once (the Princes get saved,too (and for example Philip was actually rescued after getting captured)) then the Princess are still their film's heroes,right? if they do,then it's allright,maybe it is saving.
i baiscally Agree about everything but didn't Snow White still needs someone? (and after all-i don't she whouldn't find another house).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 441
Joined: December 21st, 2007

Favorite Disney Princess

Post by Dusterian » January 14th, 2008, 2:06 pm

Daniel wrote:Pretty sure Ben isn't contradicting himself. The first quote is his stance, yes, but the second one is speaking in general, on why Belle is probably winning the poll.
Ah, and you were correct! I suspected it...but because Ben sounded like he thought she was so much better than the other princesses, it sounded like she was his "winner".
Daniel wrote:Question, how come you put "(he)" after Aurora?
"He" as in "hehe" as in "haha". Because I changed Aurora to Aurors like Ben coined the nickname Cinders. I thought she needed one, too, but it sounds silly.
Ben wrote:Waaaay to much to comment on again, but just to clarify...Cinders and Aurora would be MY favorites.

I was just pointing out why Belle always seems to win these things.

There, no contradiction, and cleared up. :)
Hey, I thought last time you said you were going to repsond to what I said, just when you had time later. Oh well, at least you cared to read it. Thank you. Anyway, oops I was wrong, you got me... I admit I was being cocky because you made Belle sound so much better than everyone else. I also wanted to add that it's so annoying to me that Belle is known for being the smarter princess but all she does is read fairy tales that all the other princesses actually lived. She wants the same as them, yet she's different? I'll give that she hints at independence by not wanting the things Gaston wants for her, but she lives with a man and just goes to live with another man, where she becomes a wife and for all we know maybe she wouldn't mind having a lot of kids with the beast because she loves him. I'm not getting the feeling Belle hates the "little wife" idea in general, just that she hates being Gaston's little wife.

Oh yea, and sorry sorry, sorry again, I have to add something else.
Ben wrote:It's no wonder Belle does more for young females looking for empowerment than any of the other heroines.
If that's true, then why does she give up her freedom and independence and her life to live with the beast? Yes, yes, she did it for her father, but it's a...I believe the term is double-edged sword? It's good to teach girls to be kind, and do things for others, and make sacrifices, but it's not good to teach them to give up your whole life, willfully become a prisoner, and stay with an abusive man. It doesn't matter if she ignored what the beast said, he was still bad for her and she had no idea what he could do to her.

Oh, and this:
Ben wrote:So...once again, Belle is the only one who needn't depend on any others to get out there and find herself. This is clear from her reaction to Gaston...there's no way she would have married him. She would be a strong young woman even without the intervention of plot or the Beast.
Well, why didn't Belle do anything until her father left her and got in trouble? In my opinion Jasmine's the one who went out to find herself without anyone or anything else's intervention. And Ariel, too, accept for the fact that she had fins and couldn't do anything about that.
Once Upon A Dream wrote:Dusterian-thanks for explaining,(Aurora and Cinderella (maybe Belle too,or even Aurora in the frist place with Ariel and Giselle) are my scecond favorite princesses :D).
Yes, this makes me very happy!
Once Upon A Dream wrote:If they do get save once (the Princes get saved,too (and for example Philip was actually rescued after getting captured)) then the Princess are still their film's heroes,right? if they do,then it's allright,maybe it is saving.
i baiscally Agree about everything but didn't Snow White still needs someone? (and after all-i don't she whouldn't find another house).
Phillip was definately saved. The fairies released him from his imprisonment just like Belle or Cinderella, only he couldn't help or do anything at all and it was all up to the fairies. They also saved him numerously from death or harm as the escaped the castle, and even though it did take some part of his to defeat Maleficent, it was mostly taken care of by the fairies. That's something I really admire about Sleeping Beauty: The prince needs help as much as the princess, and in a way, more so. In the film, both a man and a woman need saving, and woman save the man.

Of course the princesses are heroine of their film, they are the good main characters. And they could also be called the heros. If you click here Dictionary.com's definition of a heroine works for all the princesses who have courage and ability, do some brave and noble things. If you click here you find that the same applies to a hero, accept that it usually applies to a man. Just because the princesses don't fight with a sword or kill doesn't mean they aren't heros. But usually something really heroic is defeating someone or saving someone. Ariel defeated Glut the shark and Flotsam and Jetsam. Cinderella defeated her stepmother. Ariel saved Flounder and Eric. Cinderella saved the mice. Belle saved the Beast. There may be some things I'm forgetting, but that's what I can think of. Oh, and of course Mulan saved China. Did she defeat the villain or the Huns all by herself...? I don't remember.

I was confused with what you asked about Snow White. All the princesses had help sometimes, and did some things on their own other times.
Last edited by Dusterian on February 9th, 2008, 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 1471
Joined: October 7th, 2007
Location: Unknown

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 14th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Ha,Dusterian,then they're saved and so the Princes.
I"m so glad that you think that all of them are heroes :D (i considre all of them),Mulan killed Shan Yo on her own and also Giselle killed Narrisa :D.
I mean that you said that Snow White can live on her own and don't needs other's help to survive and yet she still live with them but i think that she should live with them becouse i don't think she whould have found another house in woods.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 441
Joined: December 21st, 2007

Post by Dusterian » January 14th, 2008, 2:31 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:Ha,Dusterian,then they're saved and so the Princes.
I"m so glad that you think that all of them are heroes :D (i considre all of them),Mulan killed Shan Yo on her own and also Giselle killed Narrisa :D.
I mean that you said that Snow White can live on her own and don't needs other's help to survive and yet she still live with them but i think that she should live with them becouse i don't think she whould have found another house in woods.
To be honest, Giselle did not kill Narissa. Giselle stabbed her and helped to defeat her, but it was actually Pip who mde Narissa fall to her death. Didn't you see the movie? And the reason she does try to fight the dragon is because the director thought all the past princesses ended up getting saved in the end.

Anyway, Snow White would have been able to live on her own if the dwarfs didn't live in the house. All she needed was their house.

User avatar
Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin
Posts: 18714
Joined: October 22nd, 2004
Location: London, UK

Post by Ben » January 14th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Dusterian wrote:Ben coined the nickname Cinders.
Actually, in old English pantomime, Cinderella is a regular and popular story brought to life each year in theaters across the country. The "butler" character of Buttons, who essentially fills the role of Disney's mice in the film and who is usually secretly in love with Cinderella, is more often than not a Tommy Steele Cockney type, with a saying for everything. Famously, his sweet name for Cinderella is Cinders, and it's caught on over here, especially when you take in the account of how she got that name, which isn't covered in the Disney film.

So I didn't actually coin the nickname...it's been around for at least a hundred years!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 5271
Joined: September 1st, 2006
Location: Nevermore

Re: Favorite Disney Princess

Post by Daniel » January 14th, 2008, 8:41 pm

Dusterian wrote:"He" as in "hehe" as in "haha".
OH! :o Sorry, I've never seen anyone just type "he" by itslef and meant it as a laugh.

Banned
Banned
Posts: 63
Joined: April 26th, 2007

Post by Remy » January 15th, 2008, 11:48 am

I don't really have a favorite one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 1545
Joined: December 16th, 2004
Location: Burbank, Calif.

Post by droosan » January 16th, 2008, 3:15 am

Thought I'd just 'pop' in here to add that Kida, from Atlantis: The Lost Empire, is also a bona-fide Disney Princess (and is quite a self-reliant and heroic one, at that). :idea:

But I doubt we'll ever see her on 'official' Princess merchandise, either .. :wink:

Image

User avatar
Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin
Posts: 18714
Joined: October 22nd, 2004
Location: London, UK

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2008, 9:34 am

I think they should ressurect that boys version, "Disney Heroes", that had Aladdin and Hercules, et al, and then start a second female one, "Disney Heroines" that allows for Kida, Pocahontas, Mulan...etc.

Kida <I>is</I> a natural Princess but since she doesn't slip into the fairytale world so easily (despite being <I>older</I> than <I>any</I> of the others there!) maybe she could be the natural "Heroines" butt-kicking headstress!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 1471
Joined: October 7th, 2007
Location: Unknown

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 16th, 2008, 10:11 am

Dusterian wrote:
Once Upon A Dream wrote:Ha,Dusterian,then they're saved and so the Princes.
I"m so glad that you think that all of them are heroes :D (i considre all of them),Mulan killed Shan Yo on her own and also Giselle killed Narrisa :D.
I mean that you said that Snow White can live on her own and don't needs other's help to survive and yet she still live with them but i think that she should live with them becouse i don't think she whould have found another house in woods.
To be honest, Giselle did not kill Narissa. Giselle stabbed her and helped to defeat her, but it was actually Pip who mde Narissa fall to her death. Didn't you see the movie? And the reason she does try to fight the dragon is because the director thought all the past princesses ended up getting saved in the end.

Anyway, Snow White would have been able to live on her own if the dwarfs didn't live in the house. All she needed was their house.
Of course i seen the film but still,she fought her,really? i disgree with him but oh well.
Oh,then maybe they're unimportent charcters.
And droosan-i can see why you like Kida but she will NEVER be a Disney Princess,she's not a poplure charcter and her film didn't done well in the box office,and what's so heronic about her? :? she's a damsel in distress,she's got kidnapped and rescued.
And they shouldn't make a Disney Heroines line,the Disney Princesses are heroines (and also-Disney Heroes are the Disney males and Disney Princess are Disney females).
Last edited by Once Upon A Dream on January 16th, 2008, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 3845
Joined: May 31st, 2005
Location: Maryland

Post by Meg » January 16th, 2008, 11:09 am

And they shouldn't make a heroines,Disney Princesses are heroines (and also-Disney Heroes are the Disney males and Disney Princess are Disney females).
Now you're just depressing me.

User avatar
Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin
Posts: 18714
Joined: October 22nd, 2004
Location: London, UK

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2008, 11:11 am

How so, Meg?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 3845
Joined: May 31st, 2005
Location: Maryland

Post by Meg » January 16th, 2008, 1:15 pm

It's just a huge annoyance to me that people (hell, and Disney for that matter) think that a female character can't be a heroine without being a frickin' pretty princess too.

Post Reply