Why sometimes the 3d ruin 2d characters?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Why sometimes the 3d ruin 2d characters?

Post by G1rl » March 7th, 2008, 12:34 pm

Why when a 3d character is adapted to a 2d character still look nice but usually when a 2d character is transformed to a 3d character no look well?
A example is the Jimmy Newtron and Timmy Turner cartoons, they ruined fairly odd parents.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by REINIER » March 16th, 2008, 12:31 pm

I think I speak on behalf of many when I say

??????????????

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 16th, 2008, 1:17 pm

We're accustomed to objects making a trannslation to 2-D with photos, books, etc. But many 2-D characters were never intended to be made into 3-D. Some purposely break drawing rules, in fact, like Mickey Mouse--- whose ears were almost always drawn about the same, regardless of what view of him was given. Many cartoon characters are graphic shorthands that are appealing in 2-D, but simply don't work in the 3-D world. And some are downright scary in 3-D, like poor Timmy Turner.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » March 17th, 2008, 12:04 am

I think it's a little more than just stylisation that can't be translated into 3d, but I really can't put my finger on it.

The most recent time this thought came across my head was when I was watching Bee Movie. Throughout the flick, I kept thinking that the whole thing would have really looked so much better in 2D - particularly the girl.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 17th, 2008, 3:14 pm

I personally thought the Fairly Odd characters loked better in 3-D than the Jimmy Neutron characters looked in 2-D, but that's probably due to the fact I think the Fairy Odd characters have better, cuter, more likable designs anyway.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Why sometimes the 3d ruin 2d characters?

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 17th, 2008, 3:36 pm

Well,Nemo for exmaple looks really werid in 2-D but Remy or The Incredibles looks good.
There's Fairy Odd Parents in 3-D? :P I did saw Jimmy's 2-D version and that looks bad.
Also the Shrek and Shark Tale characters looks bad in 2-D (espically Shrek! those Shrek,Fiona and Donkey cliparts looks like a 6 years old kid drew them).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Viscountesstiara » March 18th, 2008, 12:08 am

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on AN&V since I joined and I have to agree with the original poster. For instance, Winnie the Pooh characters look absolutely horrible in 3D. They lack warmth and it seems to me that children would have a harder time connecting with them. They just seem out of place. Even characters that are originally 3D lack that special something. I guess I'm just coming from a different place being an 80's child and all.
Patiently waiting for "The Princess and the Frog."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 18th, 2008, 7:10 am

Welcome to the forums Vis! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 18th, 2008, 8:24 am

Hey Vis!

The funny thing is, as I mentioned in my review for Tigger & Pooh, these characters have historically been seen in 3D.

In fact, being an 80s child, I'm surprised one of your first exposures to Pooh and friends wasn't the Laurie Maine narrated Animatronic series Welcome To Pooh Corner, which ran, if I recall, from 1983.

And let's not forget that Pooh himself was a three-dimensional teddy bear to begin with - a real bear played with by Christopher Robin, as seen Walt-ified in the opening credits of each Pooh short.

So Pooh being realised in CG has nothing going against it from a historical point of view. Sure, I agree that the pencil line drawings of the 1960s and 70s featurettes really do have the intended magic of bringing an illustrative look to life, but if there are any of Disney's traditional creations that make the transition less painfully than others, it's the Hundred Acre Wood gang.

They started life in 3D, became illustrations, and now have jumped back again! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Viscountesstiara » March 18th, 2008, 10:25 am

Thanks for the welcome Meg and Ben. I understand what you're saying Ben, and thanks for the info. I was first exposed to Pooh through the The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Although I've always been a fan of animation, I have a lot of catching up to do, as I am not familiar with the Laurie Maine narrated Animatronic series Welcome To Pooh Corner.
Patiently waiting for "The Princess and the Frog."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 18th, 2008, 11:30 am

Yep, New Adventures came along a good few years after Welcome To Pooh Corner. That wasn't a bad show, was it? I thought it captured more of the Pooh feel than the later, more recent video sequels.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 18th, 2008, 11:55 am

I agree, New Adventures was a great series and it still brings a smile to my face whenever I see it. It would be nice to have it in a boxset, but I don't expect that to happen since Disney apparently thinks of it only as something for the very young. Oh well.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83