Comic-Con Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

No Twilight panel at Comic Con

Post by Dan » July 8th, 2010, 8:40 pm

Last year, many Comic Con attendees were down right [peeved - Mod] that they missed panels they wanted to attend because Hall H was filled with fan-girls who sat through those panels just so they can maintain their seats for the Twilight panel later in the day. Their anger did not go unnoticed.

Summit Entertainment, the studio that distributes the Twilight series, announced the two films they will be having panels for at this year's Comic Con. Not one of them is Twilight. Instead, they will be promoting Drive Angry 3D with Nicolas Cage and Red, based on the Wildstorm comic book, with stars Bruce Willis, Karl Urban, and Helen Mirren. Yes, Helen Mirren will be at Comic Con.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2010, 5:58 am

Is that not maybe because Twilight has run its course and the final couple of releases left are pretty much going to take care of themselves? Also, most companies don't run panels after their movie is released, as is the case here. I'm guessing they'll be back next year to take advantage of drumming up business for the final film.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: No Twilight panel at Comic Con

Post by Dan » July 9th, 2010, 3:38 pm

They would've tried to promote the final film at Comic Con if they wanted to. Fortunately, they didn't and all is good for this year.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 12th, 2010, 5:52 pm

But what would there have been to promote? "Breaking Dawn" has barely begun production, so it's not like they would've had any footage to show. So, I highly doubt this was because Summit Entertainment "noticed the anger" or anything like that. Especially since the "Twilight" franchise is basically their bread and butter right now.

I'm just going to say this and possibly regret it later, but "Twilight" does tend to get a bit too much negative press. Yeah, I don't understand why it's quite as insanely popular as it is, but I have found all three movies enjoyable in their own right, even if part of the reason for that is that they have a certain soap opera charm about them. And given how rarely Hollywood targets a franchise mainly at women, I see no reason to root for its failure.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 14th, 2010, 11:07 am

I root for its failure because Twilight sucks more than any movie or book has ever sucked before and it sickens me to no end that this horrifically bad thing has made so much money. Comiccon was very very right to exile them and keep the idiots away from the rest of us. I find it hilarious that when I explain to a Twilight fan why I don't like Twilight (very calmly and rationally) none of them are ever able to come up with a defense. Not a single one. I think it's because, deep down, they know I'm right but they're too proud to admit it.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 14th, 2010, 11:46 am

I've never read a sentence, nor seen a moment, of any Twilight book or movie .. but .. wow. Dude. :o

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 14th, 2010, 12:41 pm

He does have a point. The books have an interesting concept, but they're very poorly written, and seriously lack character development (I don't think I've ever read a novel with such an unlikeable protagonist).

I also find it a bit sad that while there are so many talented writers out there who would never be able to successfully make a living off of their work, Stephanie Meyer's stuff not only gets published, but the fans practically eat it up, and turn it into a massive franchise overnight.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 14th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Even so .. hers is a slightly lesser crime than, say, walking door-to-door and kicking dogs. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 14th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Yes, but only slightly. :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 14th, 2010, 6:01 pm

Comiccon was very very right to exile them and keep the idiots away from the rest of us.
I don't think that Comic Con "kicked them out." Summit just chose not to advertise the franchise this year, for reasons that have been mentioned in other posts. Really, it would be silly for them to kick them out because the press conferences for those films have been very successful, even if that success has been annoying to others.

I'm just saying this...why is it okay to treat fans of "Twilight," especially teenage girls, like they're both shallow and stupid for liking it? You don't see that happening to fanboys who love comic book movies. At least not to the extent that it happens with fans of "Twilight."

If people hate "Twilight," then fine, but I see no reason for the endless bashing I've seen done towards the fans to continue, especially since much of it becomes borderline disrespectful after a while. I won't deny that it's kinda corny, but as a guy who hasn't gotten around to reading the books yet, I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm eager to see how the story wraps up when the final film is released.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 14th, 2010, 9:54 pm

I'm just saying this...why is it okay to treat fans of "Twilight," especially teenage girls, like they're both shallow and stupid for liking it? You don't see that happening to fanboys who love comic book movies. At least not to the extent that it happens with fans of "Twilight."
True that.

I guess my main issue with Twilight is my own personal disgust at what's passing for good literature these days. But that's just me being the snob that I am. :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 15th, 2010, 12:34 am

I didn't hate Twilight fans until Comic Con last year. When they made me miss panels I wanted to go to because they lined up TWO DAYS prior. It's bad enough when I miss panels I want to go to in the past because there are leagues of others who wanted to go to the same one. But the Twilight fans took it to an extreme that really frustrated me to a very large degree -- Moderator's edit: strong language has been warned about before...no need for it.

But then that's just me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 15th, 2010, 1:34 am

Comic Con was insanely crowded last year. And it sounds like it may be even more crowded this year (which shouldn't be possible).

AV Team
AV Team

Comic Con Celebrity Candids

Post by Dan » July 26th, 2010, 3:00 am

I managed to get my picture taken with a few celebrities. All but one were associated with the epic Scott Pilgrim vs. The World movie. Posted in the order they were taken.

Kenneth Branagh
- Director of Thor
- Gilderoy Lockhart in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Kieran Culkin
- Wallace Wells in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
- Igby in Igby Goes Down

Anna Kendrick
- Stacey Pilgrim in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
- Jessica Stanely in the Twilight saga

Aubrey Plaza
- Julie Powers in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
- April Ludgate in Parks and Recreation

Ellen Wong (left)
- Knives Chau in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Mary Elizabeth Winstead (middle)
- Ramona Flowers in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
- Lucy McClane in Live Free or Die Hard

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Comic Con Celebrity Candids

Post by Whippet Angel » July 26th, 2010, 7:16 am

Nice! I really wished I could've gone this year, after hearing about the Scott Pilgrim panel, so I'm totally jealous. :D