Comic-Con Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

Comic-Con Discussion

Post by GeorgeC » July 26th, 2007, 3:34 pm

from today's TheDigitalBits.com:

"MY TWO CENTS - 7/26/07 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

It's Day One here at Comic-Con, and we've already got some VERY cool news for you.. news you've been waiting a LONG time for. After all the rumors, all the disappointments, all the leaks and half-truths... Warner has finally, officially unveiled details on their forthcoming Blade Runner: The Final Cut and Blade Runner: The Ultimate Collector's Edition. The film will be available in multiple versions, including both high-def formats day and date with DVD on 12/18. You'll find Warner's press release, with all the relevant details and cover artwork right here at this link at The Bits. Don't forget: We'll be offering the first look at the title during our Comic-Con panel later this morning in San Diego, so we hope to see some of you there. We should also let you know that The Digital Bits is going to be THE place for more details on Blade Runner in the months ahead. We've been given exclusive access by Warner and the production team, which means that every month leading up to the title's street date we'll be posting new behind-the-scenes feature stories on the making of what promises to be THE DVD and high-def release of the year. So stay tuned starting next week for more!

Also today, we should let you know that at Sony's Blu-ray Disc booth here at Comic-Con, the studio is promoting the forthcoming release of all three Spider-Man films, 20 Million Miles to Earth and the first Steven Spielberg film to hit either high-def format... a 3-disc Close Encounters of the Third Kind release (on both DVD and Blu-ray) which is expected to include the original theatrical version of the film, the 1980 special edition version and the more recent collector's edition. All of these titles are expected to be announced soon, and to be released before the end of 2007.

Now then... one other quick note this morning: The midi-chlorians are a-buzz today with word of a possible surprise DVD announcement from Lucasfilm at Comic-Con this weekend. This is certainly Rumor Mill-worthy and it remains to be seen how things will play out, but that's what we're hearing this morning here in San Diego. So keep your eyes and ears peeled for breaking news from the con. Wouldn't it be interesting if, after all the denials, Lucasfilm decided to release that ultimate Star Wars Saga DVD box set this year after all? We'll see..."

Lessee...

Late this year, OR early next year would be a GOOD time to upgrade to Blu-Ray!

War's over, guys.

Oh, and as usual, there is going to be a s***load of good titles coming to home video later this year.

Man, oh man. Time to start saving or planning on getting a loan.

This is so unreal!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 26th, 2007, 3:56 pm

SUPERMAN MEETS HIS DOOMSDAY AND GETS A NEW VOICE

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=122650

Big, big talk with the new direct-to-video voice of Superman, Adam Baldwin. Baldwin bows as Big Blue in Superman: Doomsday coming to DVD this fall.

I'm getting more hopeful about the quality of this film.

It certainly can't be worse that Superman: Brainiac Attacks was.

I'll keep posting Comic-Con news updates from other sites to this heading keep the number of threads down, guys.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 26th, 2007, 4:00 pm

THE GODFATHER MAKES COMIC BOOK FANS AN OFFER THEY CAN'T REFUSE

http://www.comicon.com/pulse/

A Godfather comic book is in the works... The Corleone saga continues. America's favorite mobsters won't sleep with the fishes...

=>Quoted:

"PRESS RELEASE

PARAMOUNT and BOOM! Studios Announce THE GODFATHER Comic Series

San Diego Comic-Con – Entertainment Weekly's greatest movie of all time becomes a comic book this winter, thanks to a new licensing
agreement between Paramount Pictures and BOOM! Studios. THE GODFATHER makes comic book and graphic novel readers an offer they cannot
refuse.

BOOM! Studios is planning to publish a graphic novel and a series of mini-series based on the iconic Mario Puzo-penned novel and films
beginning in Winter 2007. The series will be written by an as-yet-unannounced writer ("Jaws will drop," says Richie) and the first arc will be illustrated by BOOM! veteran Greg Scott, whose
previous BOOM! titles include X ISLE and ENIGMA CIPHER.

"Marvel Comics has recently set the bar really high with their Stephen King Dark Tower comics series," says BOOM! co-founder and Chief
Executive Officer Ross Richie. "Which brings a lot of new readers into the medium -- a sort of 'gateway comic book.' But I think there's
terrific potential with the Godfather to read a mass audience that's never read comics."

"The thing about THE GODFATHER," says Chip Mosher, BOOM! Studios' Marketing and Sales Director, "is how recognizable it is. All around
the world, people know the movie, they quote lines from it in every day. Who doesn't recognize Marlon Brando as Don Corleone?"

That cultural awareness is what BOOM! is banking on. Expect to see Brando's unmistakable visage throughout the new series.

"We're able to use Brando's likeness," says Richie, "which means we can tell Young Vito stories, Old Vito stories … we're really going to
flesh out and expand on the world of THE GODFATHER in a new and dynamic way that really hasn't been done before, exploiting the visual
storytelling that comics can do in ways that TV, film, and novels can't."<=

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 26th, 2007, 6:04 pm

I was this close to going to Comic Con this year. :( But alas, like years before, I'll tune into G4's coverage of the event.

One of the things I most exited about, is what you already posted, Superman: Doomsday. Ever since the news came pouring in, I've been anticipating this SO much. I'm a moderate fan, but this sounds really worthwhile!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 26th, 2007, 6:28 pm

The cover for that got me going big time last week. It looks promising indeed, and did you hear about the extras? I hope the 70-minute documentary turns out to be real!

Hopefully, an AN&V contingent will be hitting the Con in 2008! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 26th, 2007, 7:27 pm

Yeah, me too!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 26th, 2007, 11:00 pm

I'm still planning to meet you there, Ben!

This has already been a *huge* DVD release news week, especially for sci-fi and HD fans: 2001, A Clockwork Orange, Close Encounters, Blade Runner, and Twilight Zone: The Movie. And all of them will be on BluRay, and all but CE3K on HD-DVD!

Plus, the Spidey films will be announced for BluRay right away, too. I'm even excited for Bram Stoker's Dracula on BluRay.

I'm so getting a BluRay player by year's end!!!!! (But I have no regrets that I'm already enjoying HD-DVD.)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 27th, 2007, 1:06 am

Rand,

There's a good chance I'll be getting a PS3 in the near-future so that'll be my introduction to Blu-Ray.

However, until I can afford -- and have the luxury of owning -- a decent size HDTV (at least 42" to replace my current 27" set), I won't have the pleasure of an HD video signal!

Yes, it sounds dumb, but at least I can the thing HALF-right this year...! :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 27th, 2007, 6:36 am

The crazy thing is the stores are practically GIVING away HD sets here.

Honestly, with the price war going on you can pick up a 42" for little more than £400 in some places ($800-900).

That's not so much when you break it down.

Yep, def Blu-Ray for me, and a Spielberg, eh? Even if I don't get my player in time for these, I'm going to start collecting. The contents look to be the same from WB in any case. I really should start getting some BD discs sooner than later though.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 27th, 2007, 10:23 am

Ben wrote:The crazy thing is the stores are practically GIVING away HD sets here.

Honestly, with the price war going on you can pick up a 42" for little more than £400 in some places ($800-900).

That's not so much when you break it down.

Yep, def Blu-Ray for me, and a Spielberg, eh? Even if I don't get my player in time for these, I'm going to start collecting. The contents look to be the same from WB in any case. I really should start getting some BD discs sooner than later though.

Frankly, I don't understand that, Ben.

Fact is, in spite of lower taxes than Europe's, most Americans aren't wealthy. We have 2 years left until a nationwide mandated switch to digital broadcast, but the HD sets are still so darned expensive. People's cable bills are going to go up unless cable companies provide -- free or at a minimal charge -- converter boxes that will convert digital signals to analog so that their current standard-def/analog sets don't become huge doorsteps or the next thing to go straight into the trashbin.

Yet there are times we pay a HIGHER premium for some things, and I really don't understand why the manufacturers are doing this -- unless the cheap stuff overseas is the same cheap stuff we see here -- ie, the 720p sets. 1080p is still very expensive, and the cheapest 1080p sets are still in the $1300-$1600 range.

It's gotten to the point that going to an amusement park for an average family of 4-5 (2 parents plus the kids) has gotten so expensive that it's practically unaffordable. You're talking easily at least $250 for the ENTRANCE fee/tickets! Movie tickets can easily run over $40 for an average nightttime movie outing without adding in ridiculously inflated beverage and snack costs.

Why has basic entertainment gotten so expensive? Gets me! You'd think the entertainment companies would factor in families as an equation but they don't seem to...

... any more than they take married couples and singles into the equation.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 27th, 2007, 10:32 am

WOW! COOL INDIANA JONES IV TEASER POSTER UP AT AICN.COM!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33470

It's a teaser poster that debuted at Comic-Con.

Gotta admit it looks sweet.

And the darn film finally has a penciled-in release date!

Nada really on the revisioned Star Trek, though, other than they strongly hinted/announced some "Lost" actor as the new Spock. I don't watch "Lost" so I have no clue who this guy is other than his name is Quintos (msp?).

EDITED FOR UPDATE --

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33461

Karen Allen (Marion Ravenwood) still looks great! What a hottie at her age! Much better-looking than many actresses 20-30 years younger than her. What a pleasant surprise. I wasn't sure on her condition, but it looks like she either cleans up well, or has good genes!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 27th, 2007, 12:44 pm

STAR TREK TOS CONFIRMED FOR HD-DVD RELEASE IN LATE FALL/WINTER '08

Just read at the G4TV website that Paramount is releasing the classic Star Trek TV series on HD-DVD later in the year.

Really, really boneheaded move seeing as Blu-Ray is outpacing HD-DVD easily now and is becoming the de facto format of choice for 90% of home video companies/Hollywood studios out there.

The version being released on HD-DVD is the Star Trek Remastered edition with updated special effects as well as newly hi-def remastered live-action elements. The show will never have looked this good before on home video!

The first season set of Star Trek: The Original Series on HD-DVD will be entitled Star Trek - The Final Frontier and include extras never before released on home video.

Again, boneheaded move, Paramount. Give in and just release the darn show on Blu-Ray!

As for me, I'll probably pick up the ORIGINAL version of Trek:TOS on DVD while it's available. (I have Season One but have yet to pick up Seasons 2 and 3.) I doubt it's being remastered for hi-def given the sorry state of the original effects shots footage. It just looks so murky and all scratched-up. The original live-action elements still look fine on DVD, though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 27th, 2007, 1:52 pm

All I need is TOS on regular DVD. I don't think the added FX added anything, and I want my Trek pure.

Plus, $300 is just too darned much for ONE season of a TV show. :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 27th, 2007, 9:38 pm

I wonder if PUSA is at the Con again this year. If they are, I hope someone ask the obvious questions.

Can't wait to hear about the Simpsons panel, though!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 29th, 2007, 3:06 am

....and here's one report about the Simpsons panel: http://tv.ign.com/articles/808/808965p1.html

I pretty much knew everything, sans the Halloween info and Lumpkin. But man, this season is sounding great!